Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Oakville2020

Question About to buy a new 2020 Passport SL 239ML

Hello,

We're about to buy a new 2020 Passport SL 239ML. This will be our first trailer, we had a Jayco pop-up previously. Would you recommend this trailer? Is is a good trailer for first times?

Thanks
Oakville2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Can I “recommend” the unit your looking at? That’s tough because I have no idea what your looking for. I can recommend that you don’t buy ANY trailer until you have laid eyes and hands on it. If it has all the features and floor plan that suits you, I can say If you “kick the tires” and it doesn’t fall apart go for it. For the price, the passport is better than a Jayco in the same price range.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Oakville2020

Thanks chuckster57.

The Passport 239ML has many of the features we are looking for. It looks great on the lot and feels substantial when "kicking the tires", just not sure how it will hold up. We've been a little spooked with some of the negative comments online, it's a large purchase and one of the themes that come up regularly is that it's a fight getting any warranty work done.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Warranty work will be a fight with any brand and any dealer. The current up swing in sales has service departments swamped with new deliveries. Make sure the unit you buy has been fully prepped and make them show you it works before you take possession. Search for “PDI” and you’ll find a file to download and print.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
fritzlomar

I own a 2020 239ml. It is a great trailer. We upgraded from a pop up into a 2018 239ml. Our 2018 was totaled in an accident and that is why we have a 2020 now. We really like all of the changes they have made in two years. The camper is a perfect size so you can still get into small sites, but with plenty of room. The Murphy bed is basically your slide out as it gives you living space during the day. Compared to the other units on the market at that size it is great because you get big RV features and appliances in a light weight package. Let me know if you have any particular questions.
fritzlomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
Bill-2020

I have a 2020 239ML (with the rear cargo door, makes world of difference). Each person or family requires specific needs and wants, so to say this would be a good match for you isn't something that I can answer for your situation.

I can say, it tows well with the right WD hitch setup on a capable 1/2 ton tow vehicle. Counter space is good as well as interior and exterior storage areas. This is where the rear cargo and flip-up bottom bunk comes into play. Just keep an eye the weight you put back there. Rear door lock assembly can be changed out to an interior/exterior handle assembly and keyed to match the main entry door.

Not a bad unit priced at about $20K.
Bill-2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
Oakville2020

Will do! Thanks again chuckster57
Old 07-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Oakville2020

Thanks fritzlomar. We love the Murphy bed, especially the non-folding mattress! Did you upgrade anything on your trailer? I've read that some change out the fan in the washroom to a bigger one?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #9
Oakville2020

Thanks Bill-2020. Was there a particular WD hitch setup you'd recommend? As part of the deal, there is a load leveling and brake assist added, put I'm not familiar if any better than others. Anything else I should ask for?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville2020 View Post
Thanks Bill-2020. Was there a particular WD hitch setup you'd recommend? As part of the deal, there is a load leveling and brake assist added, put I'm not familiar if any better than others. Anything else I should ask for?
Make sure you get a "4-point sway control hitch with weight distribution." Most popular here is the Equalizer brand. I elected to purchase a Curt brand myself (1000/10,000 model, I can't remember the model number at the moment).

I chose the 1000 pound max tongue weight version over the 800 pound version because I will probably end up with a slightly larger unit in the years to come. Which then means a different TV. I have towed the 239 with a lighter rated WD hitch and I must say that the stiffer 1000 pound version holds the road better especially when being passed by a semi on the highway. I searched the web for the best pricing when I bought it. Amazon had the best price at the time. Equalizer is apparently a better brand but I can't tell you why it is. They are about $700+ I believe... I paid about $250 less than that for the Curt. It does what I need it to. American made, by American workers (Equalizer is too, just to be fair).

Edit: It’s a Curt Trutrack system. You can back up with the bars still engaged. Some others you can’t back up with the bars engaged. Food for thought.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:21 AM   #11
fritzlomar

Oakville2020, one thing that I really liked about the 2020 239ml is that the manufacturer now included many of the upgrades that I made to my 2018. The only thing I changed on my 2020 was to install 2 MaxxairII vent covers over the vents. Also, I replaced the rubber propane hoses at the regulator with stainless steel braided lines.
fritzlomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
Oakville2020

Smile

We took the plunge and yesterday we decided to buy the 2020 Passport 239ML. We are very excited!! Thank you all for all the fantastic help.

We upgraded the bathroom fan to a Maxx Fan Plus with a vent cover over it as was suggested here and other threads. Will look at getting the second vent covered as well (is that from the kitchen fan, or other venting?)

They didn't have a 1000lbs 4-point sway control hitch with weight distribution available, but we got a Blue OX sway Pro 1000lbs, they told us it's a very good quality system and it would work well with this trailer and our Highlander awd. Hopefully that's true?

I'm going to definitely look at getting those stainless steel cables. I changed out our home toilet and fridge water lines to the braided stainless lines a while back and they're great. I'm sure they'll do even a better job on this much more important location.

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #13
Oakville2020

Lightbulb

Sorry. One more question (for now).
They are trying to sell us outside/paint protection (inside as well but included- 5 years you don't have to wax or something) and extended warranty (just like at the auto dealer-up to 6 years), we usually don't get those on our cars, but are they good on a trailer?
Old 07-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry. One more question (for now).
They are trying to sell us outside/paint protection (inside as well but included- 5 years you don't have to wax or something) and extended warranty (just like at the auto dealer-up to 6 years), we usually don't get those on our cars, but are they good on a trailer?

DO NOT take the outside/inside protection package. It is literally a scam. At most, if you're lucky, for the time you have that very expensive coverage, all they do is reapply the same stuff that doesn't work.....again. I found that you can actually pay to have your trailer professionally buffed/waxed yearly for the price you pay for that coverage.....plus no hassle.

Extended warranty may/may not be worth anything depending on if you need it and whatever happens is covered. Fine print is everything. I buy from CW and carry Good Sam (same group) extended warranty (on the last 2 new trailers). Last trailer it paid for itself over and beyond the cost of the coverage. We'll see on this one. Many prefer to forego the coverage and do it themselves if something happens, and that's not a bad approach. I can no longer get down, lay and crawl around under the trailer so I'm not inclined to want to be in that situation. Depending on the failure, with the costs of both the material plus labor at $150hr., it doesn't take long to eat up the cost of an extended warranty policy.......if it's ever needed; and you may not.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #16
Bill-2020

Uh, as in Toyota Highlander AWD? I’m not sure that vehicle can really handle that trailer.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Uh, as in Toyota Highlander AWD? I’m not sure that vehicle can really handle that trailer.
Agreed, he's way over weight and unsafe. The trailer is rated at 4,430 lbs EMPTY with a carrying capacity of 2,000 lbs. Gross max weight 6,430 lbs. At 13% tongue weight that hitch weight would be 836 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

From what I can find online the tow capacity is between 1,500 and 5,000 lbs https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1680&bih=907

But what's more important is the Toyota's Load capacity. That's found on the driver's door sticker with a yellow and white placard that reads "maximum passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxx lbs.). Take that number and subtract the tongue weight 836, the weight of the hitch (about 125 lbs) for a total of 961 lbs. Subtract that sticker cargo weight by 961 and IF you anything remaining that's how much you, your wife, kids, dog, food,fuel, and anything else not installed at the factory such as floor mats the stuff in the center console, etc.

Strapping a 25'long, 10' high box behind that Highlander will result in the "tail wagging the dog". That vehicle is a popup hauler at best.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #18
Oakville2020

Dealer said I'd be OK? Highlander (6cyl) rated for 5000lbs. Trailer is 4100lbs (I know that's dry). But if I don't travel with all but a small amount of fresh water (not that the dealer said that), I thought I'd be OK? Especially with the sway control hitch with weight distribution system.
Have I been hoodwinked??
Old 07-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Toyota Highlander ??? With the 3.5l V6, max towing is 5000 pounds. With the 2.5l I4, the max towing is 3500 pounds...

The Passport 239ML "dry weight" (no battery, no propane, no cargo, no spare tire) is 4430 pounds. Add the Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000 (125 pounds) and you're around 4555 pounds. That's before you put sheets on the trailer bed or SPAM and a loaf of bread in the refrigerator....

You're going to be "in, WAY over your head" trying to tow that trailer with that SUV. My suggestion: Back away from the purchase of that trailer until you get an adequate tow vehicle or reduce the size/weight of the trailers you're looking at to a "shipping weight/tongue weight" of less than 3000 pounds/300 pounds. That's "pop-up trailers and fiberglass bubble trailer range".

No way your Highlander is capable of towing a 6400 pound trailer !!!!!

ADDED: You can NOT tow that trailer without a battery installed (it's required by law to power the break-away system) and a GP 24 battery weighs around 40 pounds. Then add the weight of propane to the empty tanks, that's another 40 pounds. So far, just to legally put the trailer on a public highway behind your Highlander and carry propane so the refrigerator, water heater, stove and furnace will work, you've got to add another 80+ pounds to that 4555. So, when you leave the dealer's lot with the trailer behind your Highlander, it will weigh 4635 pounds. That's without chocks to keep it from rolling at a campsite, without blocks to level the trailer so the refrigerator will function, without a sewer hose or fittings, without a water hose to supply city water and without the first screwdriver, wrench, jack, lug wrench, pot, pan, sheet, roll of toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, wash cloths, pillows, underwear, toothbrush, bar of soap....

Hopefully you get the idea... Your Highlander is WOEFULLY inadequate to safely or even to mechanically tow a trailer that size.....

I urge you, DON'T DO IT !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Dealer said I'd be OK? Highlander (6cyl) rated for 5000lbs. Trailer is 4100lbs (I know that's dry). But if I don't travel with all but a small amount of fresh water (not that the dealer said that), I thought I'd be OK? Especially with the sway control hitch with weight distribution system.
Have I been hoodwinked??
AND yet another "the dealer said"!!!!
Unfortunately there are countless newcomers, past & present, that are exactly in the same spot as you. The vehicle literature states you can tow XXXX, but that's only one small part of the equation.
The stickers on the drivers door jamb are the numbers needed & I don't think you'll find that max tow weight on either of them.
There's one that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs" that's the killer number. The weight is everything over the weight of a tank fuel & a 150lb driver, so add up all your family & their stuff, the tongue weight of the loaded RV was 860+ & the hitch at 125lbs & I think you'll find you exceeded that payload number long ago.
Then you have the GVWR & axle weight limits on those stickers, none of them can be exceeded & still operate safely.
The dealer is not about to tell you that you don't have enough vehicle, first off they don't have a clue if you do or not or how to calculate it & second they don't care as long as you buy something.
Plus from experience you may load light once or twice, but it just keeps adding up til your at or well over the RV max GVWR as well.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport