Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
linux3

Twitchy Trailer

Same TT same Husky Centerline TS hitch but a new truck.
I took my TT out of storage and to a local dealer for NYS inspection and in a fit of laziness told them to adjust the hitch for the new truck.
Now, 1500 miles from home I'm not happy.
I don't have a tape measure with me but the front is a little higher than the rear, not much but a little.
Dealer removed some washers thus reducing the tilt of the ball, raised the ball 2 holes and the sway bar brackets up 2 holes.
TT is twitchy is the best way to describe it. It doesn't want to pull straight, I have to keep correcting.
Sway control is good. Semi's go by with very little effect but it's hard to just cruise don the road.
I'm on my way home so I'll just deal with it for now but I'm not real sure what to adjust.
Does ball tilt matter?
I think the ball is one whole ~1" too high.
Too much, too little tension on the spring bars?

The dealer I went to is not the one I bought the TT from, that dealer went out of business and the current owner bought the place as a second location.
They deal with Blue OX. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy one of those. I've not been thrilled with Husky. "D" pins break, pins bend and friction clamps keep coming backing off.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Northofu1

I really liked my blue ox, jus sayin'
PS : It sold real quick after purchasing 5th wheel

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Canonman

We used a Centerline Hitch our first TT. Liked it just fine. I recall the tilt was VERY important. The manual pointed it out quite clearly. If the manual is online I'd check that first.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
Canonman

Found a Centerline Install video: https://www.google.com/search?q=husk...fbtAboyazYBA31
Old 06-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We used a Centerline Hitch our first TT. Liked it just fine. I recall the tilt was VERY important. The manual pointed it out quite clearly. If the manual is online I'd check that first.
Set the tilt angle for your coupler style and heigth. Nothing in the manual says what this angle should be.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Set the tilt angle for your coupler style and heigth. Nothing in the manual says what this angle should be.
The video covers this pretty clearly. It's pretty much how I remember it when we changed from our '03 F150 to the Ram 2500 and adjusted the ball height/angle.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

The tilt of the ball is only to apply more or less pressure for the weight distribution. Before you do that, you have to set the correct ball height.

Set ball height: Truck and trailer on a level surface. Truck and trailer disconnected and a foot apart. Trailer level front to back. Measure ground to top of inside of the coupler. Add 1/8” to that measurement for every 100lbs of tongue weight. Measure ground to top of ball on truck, slide the mount up or down until the top of the ball is set to the trailer coupler height plus the 1/8” per 100 lbs of tongue weight (if you have an 800 lb tongue weight that would be 1” added). Insert the bolts and hand tighten a little.

Set ball tilt: Measure height of top of truck fender wells, front and rear. Connect truck to trailer and hook up weight distribution. Let truck take full weight of trailer. Measure fender wells again. Goal is that they are the same before and after. Front now higher? More weight distribution is needed, ball should be tilted outward. Front lower? Less weight distribution, tilt ball back towards truck.

It is a bit of trial and error, but in the end the truck and trailer should be level and weight evenly distributed on front and rear of truck.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote