Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
Tony E

Solar ready?

Hello all. I just bought a 2018 Passport 239 ml and I would like to use the "solar ready" feature that is installed. Does anyone know what the maximum wattage of solar panel I can hook up to this plug? Am I better off just going direct to the battery with my own controller? Thanks for your help
Tony E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the "early solar ready" trailers had nothing more than a plug on the side of the trailer (to plug in a portable solar panel) and two wires on the inside. Those wires were intended to connect to your controller and from there to the battery.

Some later versions of "solar ready package" included other equipment, but I'd guess that all you have on that trailer (OEM equipment) is a Zamp plug and two "wires to nothing" on the inside.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Canonman

Our Zamp plug was wired to the battery distribution block and included an in-line (i think 10a) fuse. We chose a portable suitcase style solar panel system that included the controller. Wire from the controller went directly to the plug. Everything worked 1st time without issue. The solar panels in this configuration act as a battery charger. All of your 12vdc accessories will still run off battery power as before. If you want to run any 110vac accessories you will need to install an inverter. This can be done very easily and inexpensively or as complicated and costly as you want
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	27900  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Tony E

Oh that make sense then. Mines a 2018 and I looked underneath and the red and black wire are fused and look like they are heading into the wiring for the battery. I don't have anything that will work as far as that plug to plug solar panels into the RV so I think I will just buy panels and connect my own controller and go directly to the batteries. How many watt panels are you using and do you find that it works? I am thinking of getting either a 270 watt or 330 watt panel just to make sure it charges up my 2 x 6 volt batteries enough. thanks for your help
Old 06-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Canonman

I also have 2, 6v batteries. Our panels are 200w total. They keep the batteries topped off really well. Larger panels would be heavier. Ours weigh less than 50#. Check Zamp, Renogy and Goal 0 for some quality manufacturers worth looking at. We got lucky and found our Zamp kit used and saved over 1/2. Folks I've talked with find 100w panels working well for them.
Not sure what plug is on your Passport but I'm thinking it's probably a standard SAE automotive plug
https://www.amazon.com/iGreely-Autom...C5FTBKAEQX55P4
Zamp uses this type plug from their controller. Obviously you could splice this plug type onto any controller's output wiring. be sure to use 10 gauge wiring from the controller to the connection to minimize voltage drop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	27909  
Old 06-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
Tony E

Thanks Cannonman. I am thinking that I will need at least 200 watts of solar but I won't be boon docking until next year.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
Canonman

IMHO, the ability to comfortably dry camp or boon-dock opens up a whole different set of options to the RVer. You're in for some great camping and memories.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_3941 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	27921  

Tags
solar