Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
jmlocklin

Prewired Power Problem

Ok, here is my dumb questions for today. I have a new 2017 Sprinter 29BH. It came prewired for a backup camera. I watched a video on installation and only needed to plug the camera into the wire provided. Seemed easy enough, and it was supposed to always be on. That is the problem. I get no power to the camera. Would anyone know where it is pulling its power from? Thought it may be the outside trailer lights but they all work and still no power to the camera. What am I missing?
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the camera is supposed to be "always" on then it should draw power from the junction box at the front where the umbilical cord attaches.

The other option is wired to the running lights and most often the center one. Pop the lens and two screws should allow you to pull the light fixture out and verify wires/connection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
canesfan

Ok, you said it came pre-wired for a backup camera, then you said it was supposed to always be on. Which is it, a backup camera or an observation camera? If it is truly meant to be a backup camera and is wired that way, you probably have to put your TV in reverse for it to come on. And there has to be the reverse wiring in the harness. If it's an observation camera to work with the trailers running lights then it should come on with those.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
jmlocklin

Problem Solved I think

So, I pulled the center light and saw nothing attached to the wires to feed the camera. So I went ahead and pulled the whole camera mount and discovered only one wire from the camera lead was connected the other was not connected to anything but I can see where it should go. I will connect it later but am fairly certain it will solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power