Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
Cardcathrn

Question Generator

Our new 30 rli TT does not come with a generator. So question, remember I am new, an absolute necessity? Not a FT rv'er just weekend warrior. Staying generally at campgrounds with electric. Suggestions? Opinions please soI can budget if necessary. Thanks!
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A generator is ONLY necessary if you want to operate 120 volt items while not connected to 120 volts. If you seldom dry camp (without hookups) then a generator is "excess baggage". If you do dry camp occasionally and need "a bit more battery power" it may be cheaper and easier to add a second battery to your trailer.

There are some people who "want every option at every campsite" and for them, a generator is a "must have" item. For those who wouldn't even turn on the TV and prefer coffee perked over a campfire, then it's "another anchor we tote with us"....

We have two 2000 watt generators and since most of our camping is in rustic settings, often not even in a campground, but in northern Michigan (where we seldom use air conditioning), for most of our camping trips, we either take one generator or often times, just leave them both at home.

So, depending on how you camp and what you want to power while camping, you might want a generator or you might find it's just never used and is wasted money and space. It is, for almost everyone, NOT an absolute necessity, but rather a "nice to have, sometimes, option.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Cardcathrn

Generator

Thanks John! That was extremely helpful!! I will let the hubs know as he could not believe the TT did not come with one.
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardcathrn View Post
Thanks John! That was extremely helpful!! I will let the hubs know as he could not believe the TT did not come with one.
The only units that will have an onboard generator from the factory are toy haulers. And not all of them come with one, some are "gen ready" meaning the wiring is in place. I have a portable gen but it sits under the workbench now. Our mantra "If it doesn't have full hookups we don't go there"

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
scottz

Depends on how you use the unit. We boon dock 99% of the time; seldom use campgrounds; just our life style. With my last trailer, I had twin 2k Honda generators that I seldom used; now they sit in my shop. We had enough battery and solar power to run for 5+ days; but we are really careful with power consumption. My new trailer uses more power so I just installed 3 100AH batteries and 400W of solar. I also bought it with a factory installed generator; just because I found the unit I wanted and it had a generator. Time will tell if I use it much. If you are a "pull into a campground" type guy, you don't need a generator.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
spdracr39

I have a generator and bought it almost 1 year ago. I have yet to use it because I camp at sites with electricity. If the power ever goes out again I am ready though
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Canonman

We are mostly "dry camping" so no hookups. We're just not fans of the side-to-slide nose-to-tail set ups in most RV parks.
If you are looking to only camp in RV Parks then a generator is not a must have. However, if you want the flexibility of staying in a campground (most Forest Service campgrounds) or boondock without power you'll want a generator to at least keep your batteries topped off. We like the option of staying where we want regardless of facilities. Having the generator allows us that option. You can get a reasonably priced inverter type for around $500.
Ask yourselves, what do we need 110v power for? Can we live without the TV, microwave, air conditioning?? Your TT is pretty much equipped to provide hot and cold running water, cooking, lights, heat and audio entertainment only using the 12v battery on-board systems. Keeping the batteries topped off insures a comfortable camping experience regardless of where you wind up.
We are looking now at a portable solar charging system to use in lieu of the generator to keep the batteries charged up. Cost is around $300
Happy camping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1250.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	13336   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1447.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	13337  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We are mostly "dry camping" so no hookups. We're just not fans of the side-to-slide nose-to-tail set ups in most RV parks.
If you are looking to only camp in RV Parks then a generator is not a must have. However, if you want the flexibility of staying in a campground (most Forest Service campgrounds) or boondock without power you'll want a generator to at least keep your batteries topped off. We like the option of staying where we want regardless of facilities. Having the generator allows us that option. You can get a reasonably priced inverter type for around $500.
Ask yourselves, what do we need 110v power for? Can we live without the TV, microwave, air conditioning?? Your TT is pretty much equipped to provide hot and cold running water, cooking, lights, heat and audio entertainment only using the 12v battery on-board systems. Keeping the batteries topped off insures a comfortable camping experience regardless of where you wind up.
We are looking now at a portable solar charging system to use in lieu of the generator to keep the batteries charged up. Cost is around $300
Happy camping!!
We are with you on avoiding RV parks; we much prefer to be out in the mountains by ourselves. I just finished installing 400W of solar and 300AH of AGM batteries.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator