Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
GCL12377

Keystone Passport 238

Hello,
My family and I are new to the RV / travel trailer scene. We are so new that we don't yet have a trailer, which is my reason for writing. We have been looking recently at the Keystone untralites, more specifically the 2016 Passport 238. I have been doing a lot of research on Keystones and the ultralites. They seem to be a really nice product. But I have seen some reviews where people are running into some issues with these trailers. I understand the old adage, you get what you pay for but we are so wet behind the ears that I'm not sure if the Keystone is the equivalent of a KIA or a BMW or somewhere in between.
We are a family of 5, with my oldest away serving in the Army, so it would be 4 of us in the trailer, Myself, my wife, my 13 yr old son and 19 yr old daughter. I'm trying to find out any information I can get about The Keystone ultralites in general, more specifically the 2016 Passport 238. We are also considering the 2017 Passport 239 which as I understand is the new version of the 238. We would greatly appreciate any advice, info., or reviews of Passport ultralites
trailers.
GCL12377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

Re: Keystone Passport 238

If it's the 238ML, it is a great unit. You may have some issues with it, but overall the quality seemed good on mine. We did a 5600 mile trip, half of that with 4 adults. The lack of any slide can make it tight, but there is a lot of product for the money.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
GCL12377

Thanks for replying. When you speak of having some issues, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying for example, the first time I take it out I'll find some sort of issue or what? I'm just trying to get as much education as I can before I make this purchase.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
BirchyBoy

First, do a good inspection before making the purchase. You can find a checklist somewhere here of everything to look at. It will be easier to get things fixed prior to purchase, before the dealer has your money.

There may be some small things that happen here and there. General maintenance is important, including things such as checking tire pressures and lug nuts, looking at all of the seams that are caulk ed to catch any leaks before they happen, etc.

We had some minor issues with ours, such as small trim pieces that worked loose after traveling, lights that burned out very quickly. Certainly nothing that would keep me from buying another keystone product.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL12377 View Post
Thanks for replying. When you speak of having some issues, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying for example, the first time I take it out I'll find some sort of issue or what? I'm just trying to get as much education as I can before I make this purchase.
When close to a decision try to get someone that has been doing this for a while to point out the + and - of the unit. Remember ~~ usually 30% under MSRP and try for an Equalizer hitch. Once the deal is made will be the time to have someone experienced with you along with the checklist if you are the least bit apprehensive.
You want to see everything working properly and all cosmetic items as they should be BEFORE signing the papers. They will fix anything found while they still own it and it becomes a warranty item once you own it. Some dealers go over everything before you come to do the PDI to make sure little or nothing is found.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #6
Tbos

I had a 238ML. It was a nice rig but a little small without a slide or couch. We did not have the Murphy bed. I towed behind a Silverado 1500 and used an equalizer hitch. It towed like a dream. Ditto on a good PDI. Look it over really well before you buy. Have fun looking and let us know what you decide.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
GCL12377

CaptnJohn,
If im understanding you correctly You're saying is that dealerships will usually tell you the trailer for the for 30% off of the MSRP? Perhaps you can help me. I got a copy of the MSRP sheet and it shows the base price of the unit at $18,263 + options worth $4,947 for a total of $23,210. It further shows a discount of $4,350 for a total sale price $18,860. My question would be then is the MSRP the total of trailer with options and the discount would be taken off of that number or is the MSRP the already discounted price and would I look to get 30% off of the $18,860? I want to have as much firepower to negotiate my deal and look like I know what I'm talking about. For informational purposes The listed price of the unit is $18,860. The dealer quoted me a price of $17,500 which includes the weight distribution hitch ($595), receiver ($350)for my vehicle, and brake control ($199).
Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #8
Tbos

Keystone Passport 238

I bought my 2014 238ML for $13,500 from RV Wholesalers. No one in MD or Va would even come close to that price. They are in OH so I immediately saved $2k shipping and they don't charge a prep fee. The next time around I went with a local dealer because I wanted that reach back and RVH wouldn't give me a decent trade in. A local dealer gave me pretty much what I paid and then discounted my 2016 2810BHS some, around 10-15%. Lots of dealers are clearing stock so now is a good time for good deals.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
spdracr39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL12377 View Post
CaptnJohn,
If im understanding you correctly You're saying is that dealerships will usually tell you the trailer for the for 30% off of the MSRP? Perhaps you can help me. I got a copy of the MSRP sheet and it shows the base price of the unit at $18,263 + options worth $4,947 for a total of $23,210. It further shows a discount of $4,350 for a total sale price $18,860. My question would be then is the MSRP the total of trailer with options and the discount would be taken off of that number or is the MSRP the already discounted price and would I look to get 30% off of the $18,860? I want to have as much firepower to negotiate my deal and look like I know what I'm talking about. For informational purposes The listed price of the unit is $18,860. The dealer quoted me a price of $17,500 which includes the weight distribution hitch ($595), receiver ($350)for my vehicle, and brake control ($199).
The MSRP is before any shown discounts. At $17,500 they are giving you 30% off and charging you full price for the hitch, receiver (which usually comes with the hitch), and the brake control. My Husky center line was $400.00 on Amazon and came with the receiver. It took a few hours to assemble and set-up. The brake control was $100.00 and took less than an hour to install and set-up. I am guessing they will charge you labor to install those items so if you are willing to pay the $17,500 make sure they include the install for that price. And don't forget you will be paying sales tax.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #10
Hankintu

The Passport UL we purchased last spring has been a solid unit for us. Paid under $20K for it new. It does have a slide out. When it's in, it seems pretty cramped. Be sure your happy with the space, not sure what the sleeping lay out is on the 238, reason we picked the 217 is for it being a hybrid. None of the floor space is for beds which is what we love about it.
We bought the equalizer for 595 and it included the hitch.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

You ask if a Keystone is equivalent to a Kia or BMW or in between. The answer is all of the above. Realize that within Keystone they have all sorts of trailer models that span the gamut. They do not, in my opinion, manufacture the ultra luxury type of RV (Mobile Suites etc.) but they do give you the biggest bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned. The Passport is listed as a "standard" model on their website which is more or less an entry level trailer; ie: lower quality trim, not so fancy furniture and fixtures etc. Not to say they are not quality units, they just don't have the foo fahs of other lines. In other words, maybe a Ford Focus??

Problems with a new trailer? Probably, but maybe not. The hope is that you check it out well enough prior to sale that you minimize the chance of anything big being wrong. Little things will happen but as long as they are something you can stick back on with a screw driver you will be OK. The key to this is to make sure you have a good dealer. Check them out online, BBB or any other way you can to make sure they stand behind their products and customers. They will be the key to your satisfaction if anything goes wrong. There is a PDI (pre delivery inspection) list on this site that gives you a comprehensive list of what to go over with the dealer PRIOR to signing the documents. If you have a good dealer they will probably already have done this and provide you a list of the repairs; no matter, do it again with this list and check EVERYTHING. Have them power it up and turn on everything - make sure it works. Make sure you understand how everything works. Also make sure you understand the safety aspects of using the stove, furnace etc. Remember, everything you take care of at this stage is something you won't have to try to get fixed under warranty (if anything is actually wrong). If you don't do the PDI and wait to try to use warranty you are almost assured of becoming an unhappy camper due to wait times, aggravation etc. - which happens to all models of trailers.

Pricing. It sounds like you have a pretty fair price, not great, but pretty good. Ask them for an Equalizer brand hitch (IMO). They are some pretty cheap hitches out there but Equalizer seems to have a very good hitch (IMO). Make sure the receiver is a good brand and ask them what class it is. Take nothing less than a Class IV - pricing for them will be negligible. For a brake controller ask for a Tekonsha P2 or P3 (P3 preferably but it's overkill for your situation). They have allocated enough dollars for all of these in total. If the hitch is higher than they allowed, the controller is less etc. All of those allowances should be for the product only; installation should be understood to be on them.

All of the hitching, equalizing, braking, towing components are critical - don't skimp. After you've worked out the pricing and components, do a complete, thorough walk thru, have all items fixed, do another walk thru to verify, sign documents, shake hands with dealer, hug wife and kids and embark on a wonderful new experience for you and your family. Good luck on your purchase and hope you have tons of fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
BirchyBoy

With regard to the brake comtroller: if your vehicle isn't pre-wired, the dealer will have to run several wires. My installation ran about $150 for 2 hours of labor. Many of the newer vehicles have a harness the the controller plugs into. You should determine if yours does or not. That could be a way for a dealer to bump up their profit if you're not careful.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
With regard to the brake comtroller: if your vehicle isn't pre-wired, the dealer will have to run several wires. My installation ran about $150 for 2 hours of labor. Many of the newer vehicles have a harness the the controller plugs into. You should determine if yours does or not. That could be a way for a dealer to bump up their profit if you're not careful.
Good point. Hey, your location still shows CO....didn't you move out to NC??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

For the PDI, they don't just show you where everything is located and talk about it. They need to show you that everything works. Fridge is cold, water is hot, pump works, furnace works, jacks work, stove works, TV works, stereo works, all lights work, battery is full charged. When they show you something, then you play with it.

When you leave with your new trailer you will know that everything was working. That's a great feeling.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
Dodgeman

Ive had a 2012 238ml purchased new have had zero problems with it. I do not camp close to home easy RV to tow. Last summer closest campground was 300 miles and furtherest was 1400 miles. Get w/bearings packed every other year great unit.
Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote