Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
schmeg

Fusion fridge shutoff

Just purchased a 2016 Fuzion 414 with a domestic 18 CuFt Samsung fridge. While plugged into shore power the fridge stays energized with 110v and runs. Is there any way to shut this fridge down when I'm not using the camper for camping?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Fusion fridge shutoff

Look at the breaker panel. If the fridge is on its own circuit, just flip that breaker off. If it isn't, then you need to find out what else doesn't work with that breaker off and determine if you can do without it.

The only other way I see is to find the plug behind the refer, that means pulling it out (NOT an easy task) and then pulling the romex out, routing to a switch and then back to the plug.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe that there's an "off/on" switch on the inverter. The refrigerator "should be" (never say always) powered by a "dedicated battery and inverter system" when towing. So, if the trailer is unplugged, turning off the power switch at the inverter will power down the refrigerator. If you unplug the refrigerator, or turn off the circuit breaker or ???? The inverter will still be "powered up" and will eventually drain your "refrigerator dedicated battery". So, any time you're in storage without shore power, you'll probably want to turn the "refrigerator inverter off"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Fusion fridge shutoff

Does the fusion line use a dedicated inverter? We don't sell them and I haven't seen one in for service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the owner's manual, all of Keystone's trailers (except park models) that are equipped with residential refrigerators have an inverter coupled to a dedicated battery and a transfer switch that's "defaulted to shore power". There's a warning in the owner's manual to be sure and turn off the inverter as well as the circuit breaker/shore power if the refrigerator electrical system is going to be exposed or worked on. Goes without saying for me, but I'd suppose some people may not think that there's 110 VAC at the outlet if you unplug the trailer from shore power. Not a pleasant way to be surprised when you take the plug cover off and reach inside......

That section in the owner's manual also addresses turning off the inverter if the trailer is going to be placed in storage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks for the information.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome.... There's also a couple of threads about 5 or 6 months old about the ice maker having two cutoff valves in the water line. It seems "impractical" or even "silly" when I was reading those threads. Why the heck would anyone install two cutoff valves in one water line????

In the new owner's manual, there's a drawing of the ice maker water line from the "main trailer" to the "refrigerator in the slide" and that drawing shows the two valves. After seeing the diagram, it makes perfect sense why Keystone installed two valves... It's a case where even if it wasn't "a thousand words", the picture is worth far more than the words that tried to describe it.....

Anyway, hopefully the OP has answers to his question......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-08-2016, 03:54 AM   #8
schmeg

Sort of. Yes the fridge uses an inverter when using DC power, either dry camping or when over the road. When you are connected to shore power or a 50 amp service i;e anytime you have AC power coming into the camper, you shut off the inverter and the fridge just runs off of 110V AC. While the camper is parked at my house, we like to keep the camper plugged into shore power so we can go out and organize the camper the way we want it and even just sit and enjoy the TV. We also use it for guest sleeping from time to time. During this time, there is no need to keep the fridge cold. So I would like to turn it off while AC shore power is hooked up.
As far as the ice maker valves, I have only found one so far. It is located about 18" away from the fridge, on the floor, behind the couch, on a water supply line leading into the fridge. I haven't turned it on yet, Ice maker drainage for winter storage can be a hassle, so I left it off for the season.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg View Post
Sort of. Yes the fridge uses an inverter when using DC power,... So I would like to turn it off while AC shore power is hooked up.

As far as the ice maker valves, I have only found one so far. It is located about 18" away from the fridge, on the floor, behind the couch, on a water supply line leading into the fridge. I haven't turned it on yet, Ice maker drainage for winter storage can be a hassle, so I left it off for the season.
The only way I know that you can turn the refrigerator off while connected to shore power is to either unplug it or turn off the circuit breaker on the AC power distribution panel. Depending on what else is on that circuit, you may lose power for other items as well. ????

The ice maker water line is "supposed to be" connected to the main chassis under the kitchen sink at the cold water line. There should be a valve inside the sink cabinet that controls a water line that goes back down into the trailer chassis. That ought to be your ice maker supply line. So the valve "behind the couch" is the valve in the "slide side" and the one under the sink is the "chassis side" of that line. It's designed that way so you can use the ice maker during "warm weather" and then disconnect it, winterize it and still be able to use the "main trailer" (not the ice maker plumbing that's exposed to the elements under the slide) during freezing weather. Additionally, there should be a "low point drain" under the sink area that drains the ice maker line. I'm guessing that this is a separate "low point drain" and that there are also two others, one for cold water lines and one for hot water lines that are located somewhere else under your coach.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #10
schmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only way I know that you can turn the refrigerator off while connected to shore power is to either unplug it or turn off the circuit breaker on the AC power distribution panel. Depending on what else is on that circuit, you may lose power for other items as well. ????

The ice maker water line is "supposed to be" connected to the main chassis under the kitchen sink at the cold water line. There should be a valve inside the sink cabinet that controls a water line that goes back down into the trailer chassis. That ought to be your ice maker supply line. So the valve "behind the couch" is the valve in the "slide side" and the one under the sink is the "chassis side" of that line. It's designed that way so you can use the ice maker during "warm weather" and then disconnect it, winterize it and still be able to use the "main trailer" (not the ice maker plumbing that's exposed to the elements under the slide) during freezing weather. Additionally, there should be a "low point drain" under the sink area that drains the ice maker line. I'm guessing that this is a separate "low point drain" and that there are also two others, one for cold water lines and one for hot water lines that are located somewhere else under your coach.
Thanks for the info. I'll look for the other valve tomorrow. I was unaware of that one. I'll also try all the individual breakers.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #11
lonewolftx

You have to turn the inverter on to power the frig while on battery power. In mine it is in forward bay and it has a push button to turn inverter on. If you don't turn it on then there is no power to the frig as it is not an automatic change over from shore to battery. So you can flip the braker at the panel (next to fireplace in mine) or leave the inverter off in the storage bay.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
lonewolftx

Wink Re: Fusion fridge shutoff

I recieved the ice maker adendum from Keystone Fuzion on the frig shut off setup. I tried to upload it to this site but the one page pdf is too big. PM me and I'll try to sent it to you if you want it. Shows the water shut off valve placement. The guts of it w/o pic is as follows:

"Most residential refrigerators come equipped with an ice maker. If the refrigerator is installed in a slide out that does not have an access point inside the trailer for the ice maker line to be routed then the line is run outside through a wire tender and into the slide box, behind the refrigerator. This introduces the possibility of the ice maker line freezing in cold weather. In order to prevent this, the ice maker should be turned off and the water line drained.

A shutoff valve is installed for this purpose near the kitchen sink and a low point drain valve is located beneath the trailer. To drain this line the shutoff valve must be turned off and the low point drain valve (or cap) must be opened. This low point is part of the water line that continues on to the ice maker and opening this drain will allow all water in the line up to the ice maker to drain out. See diagram below. The ice maker water line should not be winterized with antifreeze. Simply drain the line along with the rest of the water lines when preparing for the cold weather months, but do not add antifreeze.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
MattHelm21

Hi Smeg,

On our 2016 F414, I can confirm that the Samsung fridge can be turned off by switching off the far left AC circuit breaker. In fact, mine was delivered to me like this and I had to spend some time working in the opposite direction you have had to to get it switched on. My inverter was also disabled at the switch on the roof of the battery compartment.

Something tells me you probably already found this out.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
schmeg

Yes in fact I did finally figure it out. Now I'm trying to figure out what the switch below the tank heater switches does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	11388  
Old 11-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
MattHelm21

Actually I posted on this on a different thread earlier. I don't remember if it was your thread but it was a 414 owner. Again, I had to reverse the same problem to figure out that switch.

When I was trying to turn on the exterior lights using the in-command system(the LED spots over the doors) I noticed that there was one LED spot on the driver side which wouldn't come on with the curb side LEDs. I put this on the list to speak to the dealer about when I went for my first service but when I ran across this switch the light bulb went off(pun intended). That switch controls the drivers side mid ship LED spot light.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
MattHelm21

I was out in the RV this afternoon and thought I should post a picture of the same panel as yours. Everything in it is labeled and it looks like I shouldn't trust my memory any longer. As you can see I have three other switches your picture does not show(besides the tank heaters). Maybe one of them is yours.

Garage Speakers
Outside Speakers
Security Light 2
Step Light

I'd be interested to know if yours has these switches located in the in-command system now. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-7ED1D54E-6231-4726-96B5-94FF077D1602-3489-000009DB00FA9F5D.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	11403  
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #17
MattHelm21

Oh yeah, I was finishing up with winterization and located the icemaker valve. Under the right hand kitchen sink, open the right cabinet door where you can access the sink trap and below that on the floor is a wood box with access panel. For maintenance, you can remove the front wood panel with 2 screws. However, as soon as I opened it, I realized that if you motor out the kitchen slide, you will find that there is a gap at floor level under the three draws where you can snake your hand in to turn this valve off and on.

Since I visually checked, I'm now confortable doing this without removing the cover. I then popped open the low point drain and I'm good to go. My only problem is that I did this after I ran the antifreeze into the other lines and presurized the system. I have no plans to use the icemaker but I'll probably have a few pink icecubes if I do.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
schmeg

I found that valve. Mine will remain off forever. Its just too much of a hassle to drain that line every year, and purge the ice maker line of water. I'll just drop bagged ice in the freezer every once and a while. As far as the unidentified switch is concerned, it operates just one courtesy light on the interior steps leading up to the bedroom and a curbside marker light near the RV main entrance. Go figure.