Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
ErraticAKn

LED changeout on Hideout 30RKDS

Hey All,

Hoping to get some info. I'm up at work (north slope) for a few more weeks and was hoping to get bulb types in the Hideout so that I could find and order the LED replacements.

Looking at the ceiling lights mostly - but if someone has the slide-out wall mounted fixture bulb info and the bulb used in the fixture above the dinette that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Have a great weekend

Dan

__________ ______ ____ __ _
2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2015 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L EFI
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
www.erraticway.com
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
WindWalker

Dan,
Pop the cover off the fixture and pull the bulb and there will be a number on it. Buy an LED replacement. I suggest you buy maybe four if your fixture is of a two bulb design. The LED's are expensive and you may not like them.

I purchased four bulbs from a well known company who specializes in RV LED's. While they claim to have more "Lumens" or output than the original bulb, The appearance is less light. The light is white but doesn't illuminate as uniformly as the incandescent bulb. I wound up going back to the original incandescent even though it consumes more battery.

I'm stuck with $50 worth of LED lights which are of no use to me.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErraticAKn View Post
Hey All,

Hoping to get some info. I'm up at work (north slope) for a few more weeks and was hoping to get bulb types in the Hideout so that I could find and order the LED replacements.

Looking at the ceiling lights mostly - but if someone has the slide-out wall mounted fixture bulb info and the bulb used in the fixture above the dinette that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Have a great weekend

Dan
Most of the lights are probably 921's. The bulb on the right in this pic is a 921. It's about an inch or so long. The bulb on the left is a 194 which is commonly used in clearance lights on the outside of the trailer.

The 921 is a T-10 or miniature wedge base. It draws 1.41 amps and puts out 21 candle power. It also is rated at 264 lumens. You want to find a comparable LED that puts out nearly the same lumens or you will be disappointed with it. Most folks pick warm white over bright white, but that's a personal preference.

Other bulbs commonly found will have a metal bayonet base. The number should be stamped on the base. In my Cougar, some chandelier lights are 1141's. They are rated the same as the 921's.

Without knowing what type of fixtures you have, it's not real easy to determine the bulb type. You pretty much have to see the bulb itself.

Ceiling fixtures like this generally use 921's:

In this case, the flat adhesive panel 921 replacements work exceedingly well:

Open lights like this chandelier over my dining table need a LED that is shaped more like a traditional bulb:

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
jamesmc321

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=pd_bia_yo_t_2

Just replaced all of mine (27) with these... work awesome, really good price, will allow for a 12 volt system that fluctuates (they all do)

Have had 3 friends replace with these as well..worth every penny as i can have all 27 lights on and there isn't an a bit of hum from the inverter anymore (means no draw)
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:32 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc321 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=pd_bia_yo_t_2

Just replaced all of mine (27) with these... work awesome, really good price, will allow for a 12 volt system that fluctuates (they all do)

Have had 3 friends replace with these as well..worth every penny as i can have all 27 lights on and there isn't an a bit of hum from the inverter anymore (means no draw)
How is the brightness factor of these fixtures? The 3528 LED chip puts out 5 lumens. 24 x 5 = 120 which is a bit less than half of the lumen rating of the 921 incandescent bulb. FWIW, I always thought the 921 was actually a bit too bright in some cases so a lower lumen rating in a LED is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not counting shipping costs, $2.49 per lamp is a fair price, especially if you are happy with the light output and effect.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 AM   #6
jamesmc321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
How is the brightness factor of these fixtures? The 3528 LED chip puts out 5 lumens. 24 x 5 = 120 which is a bit less than half of the lumen rating of the 921 incandescent bulb. FWIW, I always thought the 921 was actually a bit too bright in some cases so a lower lumen rating in a LED is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not counting shipping costs, $2.49 per lamp is a fair price, especially if you are happy with the light output and effect.
I can try and post a pic later of the difference, however it is nominal at best; i recommend these lights to everyone (especially at the cost)
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc321 View Post
I can try and post a pic later of the difference, however it is nominal at best; i recommend these lights to everyone (especially at the cost)
I've long preached that one needs to match the lumen output fairly closely when switching to LED's. But, after a long time under the LED's, I am changing my position, partly.

When replacing 921's in an open fixture like my chandeliers above, you'll still need to to try to match the lumen output of the 921. BUT! When replacing 921's in fixtures like my 2nd and 3rd pics, using an LED that has all the chips facing downward like the adhesive panel type or the round flat ones that you used, the lumen match is not so important. I suspect that approaching half the lumen output of the 921 is going to be satisfactory for most folks.

I went so far as to replace the adhesive panel LED with a round flat one that is about one quarter of the output of a 921 in the reading light fixture above my side of the bed. It's more than adequate for me. I suspect the wife will eventually notice and ask me to change out the one on her side.

In other types of fixtures, using an LED like the ones in the chandeliers, I'd still recommend matching the 921 lumen rating. I am certain it all has to do with how the chips are aimed. This fixture and LED is a good example of needing to match the lumen rating of the bulb being replaced.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
ErraticAKn

Thanks

Well thanks everyone,

My rotation is just about over and I'll be back with the trailer in a few days.
I'll start with a few LED's to see how I like them before changing them all out.

Thanks
Dan

2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2016 KLR650E
www.erraticway.com
Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErraticAKn View Post
Well thanks everyone,

My rotation is just about over and I'll be back with the trailer in a few days.
I'll start with a few LED's to see how I like them before changing them all out.

Thanks
Dan
Most folks seem to greatly prefer the warm white LED's over the bright white ones. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. If you think you might want the bright white, I'd suggest that you just get one or two to try out.

This is warm white in our trailer:

Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #10
ErraticAKn

I like the warm feeling there. I'm not a bright light kind of person. More of a warm reading den kinda of guy.

Thanks for the info!

Dan

2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2016 KLR650E
www.erraticway.com

Tags
30rkds, bulb, hideout, led, lights