Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #1
Eddy

Fresh water drain valve

Need a little help. As title reads. My plastic fresh water drain valve broke. bought a replacement (Which is the threaded type) but, ive been told that you need a high speed drill to install it??

Seems to me I'd just fit my socket yo it. Unscrew it. Put some sealeron it and screw it back on???

Can someone cast a little light on the proper way to replace this valve.

Thx.
Tow vehicle: 2006 F-350 Lariet CC, LWB, SRW. Powerstroke. Tow Package with tow command, factory 20"s, Power moonroof, heated seats, power sliding rear window, 3.73LS, with 4" exhaust, Afe Stage 2, Pro-Guard 7, ARP's, SCT Tuner w/custom tunes,
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
gearhead

Are you asking about the drain valve on the tank? Is it connected directly to the tank or is it at the end of a hose?
My only experience is with a valve at the end of a hose. I just bought a valve with a barb fitting on one end. I pushed it in the hose and secured it with a hose clamp.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Are you asking about the drain valve on the tank? Is it connected directly to the tank or is it at the end of a hose?
My only experience is with a valve at the end of a hose. I just bought a valve with a barb fitting on one end. I pushed it in the hose and secured it with a hose clamp.
X2 ..... I have never seen a valve that was installed with a drill.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
bsmith0404

I was wondering the same thing. The only reason I can see that you would need a drill is if you had to drill the hole to install a new valve where one did not previously exist. If you are swapping one for the other, direct replacement, I can't see why a drill would be required.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Valves and sensors installed at the factory are "spin welded" in. Any old drill will NOT work as the machine that installs these things spins at a precise RPM to generate the correct heat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Valves and sensors installed at the factory are "spin welded" in. Any old drill will NOT work as the machine that installs these things spins at a precise RPM to generate the correct heat.
Yes. That's what I heard. It's the spigot under the camper on the fresh water tank. Generally, they are white in color.

Mine looks exactly like this one.
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...FciRHwod7EIAew
Tow vehicle: 2006 F-350 Lariet CC, LWB, SRW. Powerstroke. Tow Package with tow command, factory 20"s, Power moonroof, heated seats, power sliding rear window, 3.73LS, with 4" exhaust, Afe Stage 2, Pro-Guard 7, ARP's, SCT Tuner w/custom tunes,
Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your valve screws in like the one in the picture then the fitting it screws into is the piece that is "welded" in. All you need is a large EZ-OUT to remove the broken piece and then use a good plumbing thread sealer, and hand tighten the drain back in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your valve screws in like the one in the picture then the fitting it screws into is the piece that is "welded" in. All you need is a large EZ-OUT to remove the broken piece and then use a good plumbing thread sealer, and hand tighten the drain back in.
GREAT!! Thank you very much. Thought I was going to need some special tool or something.

Has anyone used Sodium Dichoir to sanitize their fresh water tank? Thx again all!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
GREAT!! Thank you very much. Thought I was going to need some special tool or something.

Has anyone used Sodium Dichoir to sanitize their fresh water tank? Thx again all!!!
I'm no "proficient chemist" but sodium dichloride is a granulated chlorine often used to sanitize hot tubs and pools. The average cost seems to be around $20 for a 2 pound container. How much to use to effectively sanitize an RV fresh water system is questionable. Whether the granules will adequately dissolve or potentially get caught in the rollers of the water pump (and cause damage) is also questionable. I would first ask whether or not all the granules would dissolve rapidly or if there would be any issues with flushing the chlorine out of the water system if any granules were "left over to dissolve later. I suppose the end result "could be" the same as using the much more affordable Clorox, but I'd have to ask the question, "Why?".

Clorox has been an excellent, affordable choice for years and is still the most reliable, safe and effective way to sanitize an RV water system.

I wouldn't use a more expensive product that might damage my water pump or the plastic used in my water system, especially if there are no "clear cut" instructions from the manufacturer on how to use the product for the intended application. Clorox works very well and has proven not to damage the water system and provide the sanitary results without problems.

I suppose it all goes back to the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm no "proficient chemist" but sodium dichloride is a granulated chlorine often used to sanitize hot tubs and pools. The average cost seems to be around $20 for a 2 pound container. How much to use to effectively sanitize an RV fresh water system is questionable. Whether the granules will adequately dissolve or potentially get caught in the rollers of the water pump (and cause damage) is also questionable. I would first ask whether or not all the granules would dissolve rapidly or if there would be any issues with flushing the chlorine out of the water system if any granules were "left over to dissolve later. I suppose the end result "could be" the same as using the much more affordable Clorox, but I'd have to ask the question, "Why?".

Clorox has been an excellent, affordable choice for years and is still the most reliable, safe and effective way to sanitize an RV water system.

I wouldn't use a more expensive product that might damage my water pump or the plastic used in my water system, especially if there are no "clear cut" instructions from the manufacturer on how to use the product for the intended application. Clorox works very well and has proven not to damage the water system and provide the sanitary results without problems.

I suppose it all goes back to the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Thank you for that great explanation. just wondering about that sodium dichoir. I did only use Clorox. 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of water. Drove around 20 minutes and finish up today.

Like you said. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
jimmyv13

Eddy...how did your repair go? I will be going through the same repair shortly as the lever broke on my drain valve. It still works, but I just need to use pliers to move the petcock. Upon a quick inspection of the valve itself, it appears as if the valve simply threads into the bottom of the tank. Was yours like this too?