Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #21
Woodworker

Another consideration is how the new height will affect your overhead height clearance. I'm already at 13'5".
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
dsttexas

While not a solution to anyone's specific issues when having too little clearance, the overall issue is the truck industry and RV industry not working in concert. When trucks, specially Ford, continue to raise bed and bedrail heights that's one side of the problem. The other side is RV companies trying to keep overall bed ceiling height below the 13' 6", and keep good headroom in the overhang bedroom, they don't raise the bottom height of bedroom to allow for level hauling with bigger and bigger trucks. A miss match that creates all these problems.

I didn't see any comments about ensuring that the trailer is running level and not uphill placing undo stress on trailer rear axle. I know some folks rely on putting rear axles under leaf springs to raise the trailer, but may or may not work on any specific trailer.

My 2017 Chevy 3500 SRW fortunately matched up pretty good on my 2015 Keystone High Country, running pretty level, 6" clearance and total height around 12' 8" to top of air conditioner. I'd love to see the truck and RV industry come up with some standards that would make these issues go away.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post

I'd love to see the truck and RV industry come up with some standards that would make these issues go away.
I'd suspect that you won't get any "intensified effort" from any of the truck manufacturers. While RVing is "our focus" the industry is more focused on the "generalized truck use profile" which is not RVing. I'd suspect that less than 5% of "250/2500 and 350/3500 truck use" is related to towing a fifth wheel trailer.

So, my guess is that you won't find the truck manufacturers or the RV manufacturers "solving the problem" but rather we'll see "hitch adapters, hitch elevators and pinbox extenders" from the aftermarket industry to address the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #24
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Another consideration is how the new height will affect your overhead height clearance. I'm already at 13'5".
Thank you for your response. It didn't enter my head.
So after measuring the holes it looks lik it wull be 2 1/2 inch change. With that my total height will be around 12' 7. i should be good.
i will keep yoiu posted on what i end up doing.
Thanks again
Randallf
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #25
Kzneft

This is what happens with too little clearance

If you look at the pics you will see that I might have had too little clearance. On my trip last year I went around a tight corner at a camp and the side of the trailer wheels went into a dip in the shoulder. I was turned at a good angle, and what hit my bed was the the under-neigh side of the hitch. As you can see it put a dent in the bed of my brand new F350. I was lucky enough to have fixed this my self, but after that I lowered my box pin to the next set of holes (which raised the 5th wheel), and now it has better clearance and still level. Came out pretty good. I could have raised the hitch but then my roller cover probably would have hit. I think the dealers just leave the hitch alone from the factory. Best to check before you take it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	25192   Click image for larger version

Name:	After5.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	25193  
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
If you look at the pics you will see that I might have had too little clearance. On my trip last year I went around a tight corner at a camp and the side of the trailer wheels went into a dip in the shoulder. I was turned at a good angle, and what hit my bed was the the under-neigh side of the hitch. As you can see it put a dent in the bed of my brand new F350. I was lucky enough to have fixed this my self, but after that I lowered my box pin to the next set of holes (which raised the 5th wheel), and now it has better clearance and still level. Came out pretty good. I could have raised the hitch but then my roller cover probably would have hit. I think the dealers just leave the hitch alone from the factory. Best to check before you take it out.

What was your measured height from top of bed sitting level prior to the "event"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch