Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
beta379

Determining trailer size

So I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with a 33 gallon tank, air suspension and brake control. We bought this under the assumption we could tow a smaller trailer but I'm unsure. I know we can't pull every travel trailer on the lot even though manufacturers say they are all half ton capable.

Can I get some help with the math?

GVWR 7100
Curb 5380
GCWR 17000

Truck cargo
2 adults @ 180
2 kids @ 120 (they are <50 each now)
Dog @ 60 (puppy 10 now)
33 gallons of gasoline @ 7
Miscellaneous @ 50
Weight distribution hitch @ 100

Total 6321
Leaving 679 from GVWR

24' bunkhouse we are interested in is as follows:
GVWR 7495
Dry 5595
Fresh water 52 gallons @ 8.5
Grey water 84 gallons @ 8.5
Black water 45 gallons @ 9
Batteries 2 @ 65
Propane 2 20 lb @ 37

I'm already over GVWR just by loading up all the capabilities of the trailer. I don't understand how that's possible but I also doubt that wouldn't happen.

So with GVWR of the trailer at the safer margin of 15% I have 1125 lbs. That's no cargo and I'm almost double the remaining GVWR of the trucks capabilities.

Which leads me to believe I could really only tow a pop up trailer or something loaded at 4526 lbs. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.
beta379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #2
DocP

Without looking at the rest of your numbers, would you really be traveling with full grey and black tanks? For the trailer you're considering, that is 129 total gallons @ 8.34 pounds = 1,076 pounds. If you also travel with a full fresh water tank, that would be an additional 434 pounds.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
Northofu1

Hello Beta and from Toronto

1) Post the payload from the sticker on the drivers door post that has "Tire and loading information" From that you will have the vehicle specific payload.
2) A portion of the weight on your truck will be transferred to the trailer axles once the Weight distribution hitch is engaged.
3) Your going to be close on the GCVWR of your combo. Not the actual number but at least the 20% reserve that should be kept for safety's sake.

I drive with little or no fluids while travelling. Enough fresh water for pee breaks and to wash hands etc. Too many horror stories about tanks letting go, chinese steel strapping ( )

There is no exact weight calculation you can come up with other than a camping trip ready rig taken over the scales. Weigh your truck empty, then weigh it ready to go on a trip. Same for the trailer. You will see axle and tongue weights fluctuate on the loaded unloaded and wdh stages.
The size and length of the trailer don't seem to be an issue. Is it used or new? Are the tires of an inferior brand? These are questions that need to be asked.
At least you're here trying to find out, that is half the battle. Just my opinion.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

I applaud you for doing your homework. Many don't and regret it. For your numbers;

First get the payload from the sticker on the driver door as was mentioned. It will probably be close to the gvw less the vehicle weight - only a scale will tell you for sure. And yes, it is hard to know exact numbers when you don't own the trailer so doing what you're doing is the next best thing.

Many things are dependent on you, your family, what you like to do and what you intend to do when camping. For example: for miscellaneous you list 50lbs. If you want to ride bikes, bbq, kayak...they all take up space and weight.

Additional thoughts;

The payload of the trailer is 1900 lbs. Not knowing the above you may or may not load that much. There are 2 of us and puppy (55 lbs.) along with ALL her stuff and we usually run about 1200 lbs. added to trailer. I do however put quite a bit of stuff in the bed of the truck. That might be a sliver of hope. You may not run with full tanks; we don't, but you may have to (I have) in which case you need to allow for those numbers.

Folks will chime in with their thoughts but in reality a 7500lb. trailer is too much for a 1/2 ton truck for the reasons you are finding out. And, we haven't even thought about or considered a 10-15% safety margin. You might consider a smaller unit; a Bullet 243bhswe comes in about 1000lbs. less than the numbers you posted. Probable won't put you in the "clear" but better than where you are.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
gearhead

Welcome from the other side of H-town.
You dealing with the dealer in Katy?
Lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I think you should consider the max weight on the camper when doing your computations . You will be amazed at quickly the weights will add up when you start throwing in the cookware, linens, clothes, toys, and all of the "must haves" & "just in case" stuff. The take along stuff will grow with every trip for probably a year as you decide you need an iron pie cooker, hot dog scewers, flaslights, bean bag toss games, fishing gear, flashlights, camping chairs, and on and on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote