Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #41
gearhead

Uh Uh. No. Never. I have driven straight through from Bristol TN to Houston. From Houston to Walsenburg CO. From here to wherever.
My wife has a switch on her butt. She sits down, she goes to sleep. But it's not just her. I can't stand to ride with most people. I think I needed therapy after car pooling to work. Who is going to stay awake to keep Mike awake?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Uh Uh. No. Never. I have driven straight through from Bristol TN to Houston. From Houston to Walsenburg CO. From here to wherever.
My wife has a switch on her butt. She sits down, she goes to sleep. But it's not just her. I can't stand to ride with most people. I think I needed therapy after car pooling to work. Who is going to stay awake to keep Mike awake?

This post makes me smile because that's the way I am. I've driven so much and learned so much; ever vigilant and watching WAY out there that being in the passenger seat and letting someone drive me that loves to talk and fiddle with the radio, smartphone etc. etc. etc. ties me in knots - I will not do it unless it is a very short drive and I sit in the passenger seat. Guess it's a phobia?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #43
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This post makes me smile because that's the way I am. I've driven so much and learned so much; ever vigilant and watching WAY out there that being in the passenger seat and letting someone drive me that loves to talk and fiddle with the radio, smartphone etc. etc. etc. ties me in knots - I will not do it unless it is a very short drive and I sit in the passenger seat. Guess it's a phobia?
OMG Danny, we gotta catch up when I get back to TX.

I'm a terrible passenger, ESPECIALLY when my sister in law is driving. She's never happy unless she's doing 17 things at once and when she's driving, that comes in about #16.

So now, I drive her car whenever I'm on board. Then she and the DW chat away happily and I'm happy

I'm not too bad though if the driver is confident and competent. I used to work at a NASA satellite tracking facility out in the backwoods behind Canberra. We used to travel to work in a carpool in company cars. The roads out to the station were narrow and winding with lots of wildlife on the roads. Most of the drivers drove fast, very fast. So fast that the tires would howl as we went around the corners. But, they knew what they were doing mostly...mostly.
We did have one guy who worked in the powerhouse and when he was driving the car would go where he was looking. Once we were in the middle of a one lane wooden bridge with tire tread platforms and in the middle of the Bridge he turned around to tell me something (I was in the back seat) and immediately the car headed for the side of the bridge. You can just imagine what I said to him!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #44
gearhead

^^LOL I don't know what it is, but I just can't do it. Only after a back surgery, a colonoscopy, or just around the corner, does Betty drive and I ride.
Maybe I'm a control freak. I don't think so though. I think it's a little too late in life for therapy, regarding this issue anyway.
edit add: When Mike was driving in the carpool and he fell asleep at red lights, I bailed. I don't care how much money I save, get preferential parking at work, or I get a nap. I'm outa here.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #45
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Me too, I hate being a passenger and do all the driving if we are pulling.

Our most recent trip, to Colorado, put 2200+ miles on the rig and I drove all of them, which is fine by me.

Went to my BIL wedding, in norther CA, took just over 3 weeks, did a lot of camping along the way and drove around 5200 miles... camping then was in a tent, with the 2 kids and DW, but still drove all of it except from Van Horne to Midland on the way home, after a stop for breakfast the DW wanted to drive, I took over again when we stopped in Midland for gas.

Hello, my name is Brian and I am a drive hog.

I think acceptance is the first step

-Brian
Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #46
GlampingHippie

I am the wife. We share driving pretty equally and can both do all the tasks involved around setting up/taking down. However, when it comes to backing up, he drives and I direct. That's the only way it works....maybe he is a better driver......or maybe I am really bad at following directions
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #47
Cbrez

My wife does about half the driving when we’re on the road, which helps out a lot. We bought a DRW and she is very comfortable towing with it. Campgrounds and pull throughs are no problem for her, but when it comes to back-in sites she is very hesitant. If the campground is slow I’ll talk her through backing in (hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go), Otherwise I get the captains chair.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #48
Tbos

No. I keep trying to get her to. She probably will someday.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #49
LHaven

My wife does ALL the tow driving. That's why the truck is "hers."

Technically, she does almost all the forward driving; I do almost all the backward driving.

She doesn't like the way I drive on the highway, and she's 100% incapable of navigating, so it's a Jack Spratt solution that suits everybody.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #50
the406life

My wife has no urge whatsoever to drive while we've been towing our 5th wheel or any of our travel trailers. She is okay with towing our boat, but that's about it. She won't back it up...that's all on me.

Most of the time she drives her Escalade towing the boat and I drive the truck pulling the travel trailer.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #51
Ddubya

We stopped in Tok Alaska last week and got into a discussion with another gentleman pulling a fifth wheel. He ask if my wife shared in the driving and she told him most defiantly not. He said; What will you do if something happens to the Geezer? She said, find another Geezer.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:10 AM   #52
hornet28

Sounds as though she'll replace you very quickly. Hope she doesn't bring him to your funeral.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #53
notanlines

DW wouldn’t have it any other way, including the triple towing. But the backing the rig is left up to me with her guiding. Chauvinism is not alive and well in our house. This is not some baloney manly-man crapola. Women can do all kinds of things; c’mon, this is the 21st century.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #54
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
DW wouldn’t have it any other way, including the triple towing. But the backing the rig is left up to me with her guiding. Chauvinism is not alive and well in our house. This is not some baloney manly-man crapola. Women can do all kinds of things; c’mon, this is the 21st century.
I'd love it if my DW would take a turn. But she doesn't even like driving the truck when not towing. She's a big help on backing up, hooking up etc. but just will not get in the drivers seat when hooked up.

And at 53 ys young, I doubt I'm ever going to change her.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #55
UsTwo

No way..She will pull forward at the dump station and that is all.. Even tho she can hook and un hook

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #56
Big1

I'm on my own she will not drive.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote