Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
GlampingHippie

New sway issue

Hi, we have been towing the same trailer with the same truck for 5 years. Zero issues no matter what type of road or speed.

This year the first trip out significant sway. Checked all mechanical related things we could think of, (hitch parts, tires, suspension, brakes), everything looks fine.
Second trip still swaying, pull all our stuff out to make sure we hadn't somehow forgotten we were carrying a load of heavy gold (no such luck).
After trips 3 & 4 we have exhausted every far-fetched idea that our brains can think of.

Generally cutting our speed 30km stops it, which makes us keep circling back to tires. Does it sound tire related to anyone else? If so, how do you prove a tire is good/bad?

We are looking for some ideas on what we should look at closer, before we randomly tear stuff apart. I also don't want to take it to a shop with only the "it never did this before" excuse.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Some info would help:

Type/size of trailer/gvw
Truck specs - age/mileage
Hitch specs/type
Tires - size/LR?/mileage truck and trailer

Those specs will help those trying to help you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

My only advice if you have not done done this. Raise the vehicle (s) off the ground and check every suspension part, start with the RV. While a vehicle has loaded weight on it, grabbing and shaking stuff will not find a worn part you need the weight off. Also remove tires and roll them, look for problems and if they roll without up/down movements etc. Every part with a bolt or nut check the tightest.
By your information it seems like something has worn out or is loose. But what is it, suspension, tires, hitch? Good luck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As Ken said, it could be most anything. From your comments you've been towing the same trailer with the same truck for 5 years. What trailer? What truck? What maintenance have you done on the truck or have you just driven it? Have you replaced the shocks? Any slop in the receiver/hitch shank? Springs loose on the truck? Broken? Wheels loose? Tires underinflated? New tires? Trailer tires out of alignment? Truck out of alignment? The list is endless if we are just guessing in the dark. What changed from the time you parked the trailer last and everything was OK until you hitched up this year and it swayed badly? I assume you still were using the truck. Hit something? ???
Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
GlampingHippie

Hi and Thanks!

Truck is regularly maintained as it is still under warranty. However we have eliminated the TV as I tried out 2 additional trucks and same issues.

So it is something with the trailer, or possibly hitch. They are only ever used together.

My frustration is reflected in the comments. Everything appears to be fine. Everything worked perfectly when it was parked for winter. So it has to be something with tires/suspension/frame on trailer.

Will start with pulling the tires off and have them inspected and work our way out from there.

My dream of a simple fix has died.....missing a tent right now when everything could be fixed with a roll of tape!
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
NealBlue

Be sure to closely check the leaf spring hangers for missing bolts, broken pieces and broken welds where the pieces attach to the frame. Make sure the u-bolts are tight and in good condition.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If it is the trailer I would make a very thorough inspection of all the components from the tires, to wheels, to springs, shackles, Ubolts etc. Did you possibly hit something with the trailer tires just prior to putting it away? I can't imagine a trailer just sitting and the suspension just "falling" apart. I did have a single axle trailer once that had some word done on a spindle and it came back with one end slightly shorter than the other. That trailer was in a constant state of sway because it would track to one side then "hop" back over and repeat. Alignment might be an issue??
Old 08-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What kind of hitch do you have and have you checked the adjustment on it? I'd start there if it was me.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote