Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
whcarr

New axles part 3

Finally got the new axles, upgraded to 8000 lb from 7000, also added dexters best carriers and shackles with wet bolts, plus disc brakes. Towed 200 miles every thing seems ok. Not supper inpressed with disc, GREAT stopping power but not much help at mild braking levels, then when they do start working there almost too much. May be a learning curve here. Only time will tell.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
roadglide

I have 7 k axles loaded with full water , quad , dresser and two month of crap from quartzsite my axle weight is 12160 lbs on the cat scale that leaves me with 900 per axle. My tires are 14 ply saline. My gross weight was 24200 . I had 12000 lbs on the truck
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by whcarr View Post
Finally got the new axles, upgraded to 8000 lb from 7000, also added dexters best carriers and shackles with wet bolts, plus disc brakes. Towed 200 miles every thing seems ok. Not supper inpressed with disc, GREAT stopping power but not much help at mild braking levels, then when they do start working there almost too much. May be a learning curve here. Only time will tell.
You didn't state what truck you have. If I recall from others the Fords have multiple settings in the DIC settings for the brake controller for rvs with disc, may want to check. Rams may have the same.
I added disc to mine & am VERY pleased with the upgrade.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Check the settings for your brake controller in the DIC settings on your truck, if it's a Ford & possibly the Rams, My '13 GMC doesn't have to change setting just dialed down to a lower setting.
I added disc to mine & it was an awesome upgrade, definitely one of the best mods I've done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
whcarr

Towing with an 2016 f250, have been trying different settings. Still not getting the light use assistence id like.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
MarcS

Quote:
Towing with an 2016 f250, have been trying different settings. Still not getting the light use assistence id like.
There is a setting for electric brakes. And there is a setting for hydraulic over electric brakes.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Dave W

Did you set the truck's controller for electric over hydraulic? Also, the Ford brake controller is an integrated unit where you barely feel the trailer braking but it is. The brake action is proportional to how much you apply the truck brakes. Then at 200 miles, the brake pads are barely seated and the rotors may not have seasoned as well. I had t he same feeling with my discs mod but after 2500+ miles, way better then the OEM magnet brakes. It takes quite a feww miles for the pads to outgas then form a film on the rotors and provide all of the required braking power without hitting the truck brakes hard
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
whcarr

Thanks for info, just checked my settings, was on elc. Not EOH, changed that. Will be towing again for 10 days. Will update.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

EOH brakes are the cat's meow once you get them dialed in. You will find the setting you are comfortable with after this trip.

I changed my boat trailers to EOH over surge brakes. Way nice to back up any time and even nicer when I can pull in more brake backing down a steep ramp. Just realize that there is a slight delay in the trailer brakes coming on, as the unit takes a little bit to build pressure. Once you get use to it you will have your settings dialed in for the city and another for the mountains.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle