Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
kennyskywalker

Roof preventative maintenance

I have a rubber roof (i believe i do) on my springdale 253fwre fifth wheel, its a 2017 model and im curious to know how often should it be washed and protected, i have ut stored outside here in Georgia

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
tdawg

I clean mine with roof cleaner conditioner spring and fall.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your roof is not rubber, it's a vinyl substance called TPO. It's probably an "off brand" made similar to DICOR products (possibly it's made by DICOR, but....).

The maintenance is the same as DICOR's products. You can download the DICOR roof membrane maintenance information at this link: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your roof is not rubber, it's a vinyl substance called TPO. It's probably an "off brand" made similar to DICOR products (possibly it's made by DICOR, but....).

The maintenance is the same as DICOR's products. You can download the DICOR roof membrane maintenance information at this link: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/
I appreciate the feedback, i was unable to determine from the owners manual if i have a rubber roof the material there is extremely vague and out of curiosity how did you determine what type of roof i have?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I clean mine with roof cleaner conditioner spring and fall.
Thanks for the feedback, do you walk the roof or just spray the roof from ladder. Im nervous about walking my roof because i weigh 285ish lol

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You can read on the DICOR site how they explain the process to determine if you've got a TPO or EPDM roof membrane. Essentially, the easy way to do so is to remove one of the roof vent trim rings on the inside of your trailer. You'll see the membrane where it was cut and folded inward to install the roof vent. Pull a cut end of the membrane so you can see both sides. If the bottom is black/dark gray and the top is white, it's EPDM. If the roof membrane is white, gray or tan and is the same color on both sides, it's TPO.

As for walking on your roof, at near 300 pounds, I'd suggest extreme caution if you do decide to get on the roof. The Springdale uses wooden roof joists on 16" centers topped with 3/8" OSB that is stapled to the joists. That structure is topped with the TPO and is structurally sound. The joists are stapled together and then stapled to the sidewalls. The problem comes from whether the staples are all in the correct spots and whether the joists might not be able to support as much weight as they should because the staples didn't "hit their mark"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
dcg9381

Agree with John, I'm at 200 lbs and the roof will flex if I'm not careful about hitting the joists...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:

X 2. This is the very best way to maintain your roof. I clean mine 4 times a yr, sometimes more because a small problem can become a big problem pretty quick Also it's very, very important to keep an eye on all your seams and to repair as needed.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
kennyskywalker

Quote:
You can read on the DICOR site how they explain the process to determine if you've got a TPO or EPDM roof membrane. Essentially, the easy way to do so is to remove one of the roof vent trim rings on the inside of your trailer. You'll see the membrane where it was cut and folded inward to install the roof vent. Pull a cut end of the membrane so you can see both sides. If the bottom is black/dark gray and the top is white, it's EPDM. If the roof membrane is white, gray or tan and is the same color on both sides, it's TPO.

As for walking on your roof, at near 300 pounds, I'd suggest extreme caution if you do decide to get on the roof. The Springdale uses wooden roof joists on 16" centers topped with 3/8" OSB that is stapled to the joists. That structure is topped with the TPO and is structurally sound. The joists are stapled together and then stapled to the sidewalls. The problem comes from whether the staples are all in the correct spots and whether the joists might not be able to support as much weight as they should because the staples didn't "hit their mark"....
Thanks for the insight, i took time checking out the dicor website and they recommend not walking roof just use a ladder or scaffolding or better yet have dealer take care if it. I called camper city, they charge 250 for cleaning, protectant and labor. Not sure if this a great value considering the materials needed to perfom the job. Im thinking a good ladder, scrub brush, cleaner and protectant also finding somewhere to perform the work, 250 dealer price may be my best option.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyskywalker View Post
Thanks for the insight, i took time checking out the dicor website and they recommend not walking roof just use a ladder or scaffolding or better yet have dealer take care if it. I called camper city, they charge 250 for cleaning, protectant and labor. Not sure if this a great value considering the materials needed to perfom the job. Im thinking a good ladder, scrub brush, cleaner and protectant also finding somewhere to perform the work, 250 dealer price may be my best option.

250 seems a little high. I think my dealer (CW) charges 135? for the cleaning, inspection and protectant....as best I remember - I do it every year. I follow up with a personal inspection..from the sides with a 10' step ladder periodically.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
250 seems a little high. I think my dealer (CW) charges 135? for the cleaning, inspection and protectant....as best I remember - I do it every year. I follow up with a personal inspection..from the sides with a 10' step ladder periodically.
Good info, i think I will continue price shopping

Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
kennyskywalker

Quote:

Its official, I have TPO just check my roof vent and confirmed, thanks for the info!

Old 04-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
captcolour

Just to set the record straight, TPO is not vinyl. Stands for thermoplastic polyolefin. It is typically a polypropylene polymer modified with an elastomer or synthetic rubber like EPDM. Same type of material used in a lot of auto bumpers and fascias. Type and amount of modifier and of course thickness determines how stiff or flexible it is. When searching for a cleaner, if it specifically says it is safe for TPO, that would be good. I would stay away from a vinyl cleaner that doesn't say anything about TPO.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof, vent