Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Toy boy

Slide jumps

Looking too see if anybody has problems with there sides jumping while coming in?? Took it to the dealer they said cables are adjusted ok, don't know what the problems is, then they came back and said there is wheels that can be installed on the frame at a cost of $1000.00 to do the 2 slides but they will no guarantee that it will fix the problem, it is a '2015 fuzion 371 main and kitchen are doing it bedroom is fine, any help would be great

2012 3500 gmc
2015 fuzion 371
Toy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Tbos

You don't say what year your rig is. There are several threads that address similar issues. Good luck getting it fixed.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
roadglide

In my opinion cable slide is the biggest mess the rv industry evey used . I was told from keystone and the deal that the wear bar is worn out i don't believe that. I do think there are some defects in slide flooring and out of square slide rooms. Thor products I believe are worse then the non Thor manufacture.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Wear bars can go bad if the room isn't adjusted right. We are dealing with that right now on an electric slide.

Toy boy: my guess is your rig is out of warranty, I would find another place to have it looked at. $1000.00 to install "wheels"? Slides use rollers in some applications and if yours didn't come from the factory with them I don't know that I would put any in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I am having this issue as I type this. I had one slide that bound up and was very difficult to get in; it blew the thermal reset 3 times to get it in. I took it in and they sold me on doing the "triple slide maintenance" that included cleaning, adjusting and lubing the slides. They said they found some Darco tape that had peeled off the bottom of the slide and stuck to the wear bar - it fixed the binding. When I picked it up the two big slides were jumping/binding/jerking which it had never done. I asked what they had done and they said they only cleaned the tracks and seals....right. I was supposed to leave for FL the next day so I said I would take it home and look into it, which didn't help.

The dealership told me that the wear bars must be bad and needed to be replaced??? Both at once? Right after they did maintenance? I think not. The solution is for me to bring it back in so they can remove the slides and replace the wear bars.

When I got it home I talked to Norco/Accuslide that makes all the hardware. They said that it sounded like the bottom of the slide was sticking and recommended a product called Zep 45 which no one in my part of the country sold so I had to order a case from the manufacturer and had it sent to my daughter here in FL. I don't know, but doubt, that it will work. I put 303 on the bottoms but it didn't help. Norco also said all they do is make the hardware; Keystone builds the slide boxes and mounts all of the hardware. I talked to Keystone owner relations and they contacted a "lead" at team Cougar which told them it sounded like an adjustment. So here I am, in FL, with this issue I intend to address when I get back in Feb. Norco did say that they would look into a solution where I could install rollers under the big slides but I haven't heard back from them and left the tech's number in TX. I don't see how that would work or how I would install them.

I looked at a unit at the dealership where they had removed a kitchen slide to replace the wear bars and don't think I want a "dealership" to do that. I think I will pursue the option of taking it to the factory and pay them to do the repairs correctly if they will give me that option.

A long story to tell the OP nothing really other than once these things start doing this I'm not sure there is an easy solution other that spending a few grand
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There are basically three kinds of slides: Hydraulic (not typically in light weight trailers), "electric ram" which is a "strong tube suspension" type of slide and the "cable system" which basically "pulls the slide in and out" while it suspends in the center of the slide cavity..... With any cable slide system, an "out of adjustment cable" will lead to excessive wear and problems with slide function.

There are several ways to keep the cable slide "centered" in the cavity, but basically the "cheapest" (and therefore the preferred method, at least at the factory) is to use a couple of "Teflon/plastic" slide guides and some "rubber bumper stops" on the ends of travel.

Gearhead encountered a "jittering slide" this past summer and detailed his findings in this forum thread: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24919

There are other threads that also give information about causes and solutions for a "jittering slide" but most of the information gearhead provided in the thread above will help with most of the problems encountered in "recent model cable slide systems"... I'd suspect that eventually we'll all need to pay for a service center to replace "excessively worn parts" and that would mean the solutions that you've been given such as installing wheels and new wear bars. But those types of fixes aren't usually necessary on 2 or 3 year old trailers.

I'd suggest at least trying the solutions gearhead details before allowing any dealership to "tear apart" your trailer, especially if they're not giving you a 100% guarantee that it will fix all of your concerns.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are basically three kinds of slides: Hydraulic (not typically in light weight trailers), "electric ram" which is a "strong tube suspension" type of slide and the "cable system" which basically "pulls the slide in and out" while it suspends in the center of the slide cavity..... With any cable slide system, an "out of adjustment cable" will lead to excessive wear and problems with slide function.

There are several ways to keep the cable slide "centered" in the cavity, but basically the "cheapest" (and therefore the preferred method, at least at the factory) is to use a couple of "Teflon/plastic" slide guides and some "rubber bumper stops" on the ends of travel.

Gearhead encountered a "jittering slide" this past summer and detailed his findings in this forum thread: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24919

There are other threads that also give information about causes and solutions for a "jittering slide" but most of the information gearhead provided in the thread above will help with most of the problems encountered in "recent model cable slide systems"... I'd suspect that eventually we'll all need to pay for a service center to replace "excessively worn parts" and that would mean the solutions that you've been given such as installing wheels and new wear bars. But those types of fixes aren't usually necessary on 2 or 3 year old trailers.

I'd suggest at least trying the solutions gearhead details before allowing any dealership to "tear apart" your trailer, especially if they're not giving you a 100% guarantee that it will fix all of your concerns.......
Thanks for the link John. I had reviewed various posts but had not seen this one. It encompasses several of the things I've read. I was hesitant to use Acetone on the underside of the slide because I was worried that it would eat up the plastic "tape" covering; looks like it won't. I couldn't find the Zep product either so ordered it from the factory as I mentioned so I now have a case of it. I have the seal treatment. I'll try to do the things mentioned to see if I can get it fixed. I'm reasonably sure it is going to be what they put on it because I saw them spraying LOTS of "stuff" on all the seals and under the slides. I've probably got an extensive cleaning job in front of me. This may help the OP as well. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems to me, (opinion not facts) that the slide is "carried in suspension" by the cables during travel (in and out) and is only "physically supported by the trailer frame" at the ends of travel (either when all the way in or all the way out). So, anything that's sticky on the slide guides will cause it to "rock in the suspended mode during travel" which would make it "skip" when moving in or out... I'd almost bet that cleaning all the "gunk" off the slide guides so they won't "catch the bottom of the slide" when it's "suspended on 4 wires during travel" will pretty much "solve the skipping problem"....

As I said, my opinion, not factual observations, as I've not seen your trailer or the OP's trailer, but I'd urge you not to spend any money at the dealership without at least doing "due diligence" by cleaning the underside of the slide and making sure nothing is "sticky" on them that would cause the slide to "skip along" during travel...... My "cheapness" would cause me to believe it's better to be my own janitor (cleaning the slide skids) rather than paying a "high priced serviceman" to do the cleaning for me.....

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy boy View Post
Looking too see if anybody has problems with there sides jumping while coming in?? Took it to the dealer they said cables are adjusted ok, don't know what the problems is, then they came back and said there is wheels that can be installed on the frame at a cost of $1000.00 to do the 2 slides but they will no guarantee that it will fix the problem, it is a '2015 fuzion 371 main and kitchen are doing it bedroom is fine, any help would be great

2012 3500 gmc
2015 fuzion 371

Your trailer may be like mine. Keystone told me that the bedroom runs on rollers while the kitchen and main slide do not. They are also the 2 slides I have issues with.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
slow

Toy boy, does your slide ride on a piece of carpet fixed to your floor? (I am not referring to the carpet that is on top of the slide floor.)

Mine does and this is what I found to work on our TT:

When adjusting the cables, I adjust the top cables that retract the slide slightly tighter than the bottom cables. I do the opposite for the cables that extend the slide (bottom cables slightly tighter than the top cables). That way the slide box is "supported" by the carpet on the floor and not "dragging" on the outboard bottom slide seal.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
Toy boy

No carpet, linoleum and I have found no marks to indicate it's cutting the floor or anything that would be binding up, dealer still has the camper
Toy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #12
Tbos

Can someone take a picture of a "wear bar"so we all have the same point of reference. Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Can someone take a picture of a "wear bar"so we all have the same point of reference. Thanks.
On ours if you pull the slide in from being fully extended about 4 inches you just look at the floor and you will see a sort of U shaped plastic bar that attaches to the floor under the slide...that is the wear bar. It may be behind one of the rubber seals.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On ours if you pull the slide in from being fully extended about 4 inches you just look at the floor and you will see a sort of U shaped plastic bar that attaches to the floor under the slide...that is the wear bar. It may be behind one of the rubber seals.
Sourdough, I assume your slide floor with the wear bar runs on vinyl flooring not carpet. Is this correct?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Sourdough, I assume your slide floor with the wear bar runs on vinyl flooring not carpet. Is this correct?
Both large slides run on half vinyl (kitchen/dining) and half carpet (living room).

Tags
slide