Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
rayjoanlough

Talking Axle and spring weights

I am about to convert over to hydraulic disc brakes on my 2008 Couger 276RKS and should know what axle I have and the spring capacities. My owners manual doesn't mention any of this type of data. I would like to go to 6000 lb axle which several blogs say are the same as the 5300 lb axle except for the outside bearing, the spindle is the same. Any help from the senior moderators. My rig is the same as Mistah Festus
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Interesting that I couldn't even find a 276 RKS in the Keystone lineup. With that said, it appears most of the trailers in that class are around 10k GVWR. With that rating, you most likely have a 5300 axle. The only way to be absolutely sure is to crawl under it and look at the back side of the axle. There should be a tag on the axle tube with the specs. Recently, I asked a dealer about what axle I had under mine, he looked at a spec build sheet in the computer and said I had 6500 lb axles. When I got to it I crawled under and the tag said 7k. So much for the info in the computer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
rayjoanlough

Axle and spring weights

Thanks for your reply. Most blogs are telling me the spindles for the 5300 and 6000 lb axles are the same but the leaf springs are what are different. Also the outside bearing on the spindle is beefier on the 6000 lb axle. I'm looking at the Kodiak conversion kit with the Hydrastar actuator. This conversion was covered recently in Trailor Life.
Thank you for your service!
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
Dave W

Your ID plate on the LHS may tell you which axles you have. Our '06 5er had that info (6000#) as does the current '14 - 5200 pounders soon to be 6000 with the addition of the 5200/6000 pound Kodiak hub and caliper assemblies and 5 leaf springs. 5200 pound springs are generally 4 leaf and 6000 are usually 5 leaf, both being 1.75 wide and 25-1/4" eye to eye center line. You will also need a set of longer (7-1/4" long, 9/16 dia ) U-bolts and it will be a good time to add a wet bolt kit and maybe an E-Z Flex or CRE/3000 suspension if not already equipped.

Do your homework on the actuator as the information is scattered, with 3 major brands making up most of the choices, Titan, Dexter and HydraStar.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how it works out
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Re: Axle and spring weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoanlough View Post
Thanks for your reply. Most blogs are telling me the spindles for the 5300 and 6000 lb axles are the same but the leaf springs are what are different. Also the outside bearing on the spindle is beefier on the 6000 lb axle. I'm looking at the Kodiak conversion kit with the Hydrastar actuator. This conversion was covered recently in Trailor Life.

Thank you for your service!

This is true. The difference between a 5,200# dexter and a 6,000# dexter is the outer bearing and spring pack.

The hubs/drums are even the same. The bigger outer bearing fits in the same hub because the race OD is the same.

If you have 5,200# axles, just Order the 6,000# stuff so you have the bigger bearing. You won't have a full 6,000# rated axle (without the bigger spring pack), but it will be better than the 5,200# setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
bdaniel

Re: Axle and spring weights

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. I think you will get a lot of good information from my experience switching to disc brakes. I now effectively have 6000 pound axles instead of 5200 pound axles. I love the extra safety factor.

Read about it on my website here:
http://bobbystuff.com/rv/228/electic...ake-conversion

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake conversion