Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
lucywestie

Red squirrel trapped in trailer, looking for solutions?

So we found that a red squirrel had got into our 2009 Residence. We crawled underneath and filled every nook and cranny with spray foam and thought we had solved the problem, except it appears we sealed him inside!

We are up in Canada so the trailer is at a park and now winterised for the season. I put down a large snap trap inside the panel that is below the shower plus I put down some plates of poison inside cupboards etc. that he might have access to.

Im just wondering if I should go up there and maybe cut a hole in the inside rear wall of the wardrobe and place a baited live trap up against the hole. Do you think that might work? I know these things arent built that solid but I was having a hard time trying to locate pictures of the framework on line to find a suitable place to cut a hole and place the trap. I say the wardrobe because its in that general area we have heard it moving around during the night over the last few days.

Any suggestions or helpful advice would be appreciated.
Pete
lucywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Mike484

I certainly wouldnt use poison or try to let him starve to death. If he dies inside your trailer and is left for any length of time, you will end up with a unwanted smell that will take a long long time to get rid of.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

That's kind of a tough question to provide the right solution. I am wondering out loud with this. If it does not have anything at all to eat. It might eat and dig it's way back out again thru what ever you sealed the trailer up with. From what little I know of animals. It seems if they like your home they keep coming back and sometimes bring friends unless you kill them some how..
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
lucywestie

Yup. We put Warfarin down inside the trailer in various locations like where we found seeds etc. There is a panel on the front of the base of the shower that I also had set a snap trap inside to try and catch him but I was thinking of maybe opening up the panel and setting a baited live trap in front of that in the hopes that he might "go towards the light" and get trapped in there. I guess I need to try everything. We put the poison down a few days ago so if hes eaten any it might have taken effect by now but we are no longer at the trailer.

Anyway, I may go up on Saturday and set the trap anyway, see if I catch him. I am surprised he hasn't tried to dig his way out from inside the trailer. Little so and so had no problems getting in though then again, he was sneaking up through a small hole where cables etc. went through the base of the trailer.
lucywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

If you can try a battery operated radio up loud... they will often leave areas with excessive noise if near their nest. Get a call and use a shotgun???

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #6
spicercars

Menard sells traps called Kat and they work very well. They are the only thing I use now. But the on for small squirrels and rats. A little peanut butter for bait and you will have him in no time.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
bsmith0404

You definitely don't want him to die somewhere that can't be found. A trap is good, poison is a no go, he could crawl into some little area unknown to you and stink up your world. I've seen cars where a mouse has died inside somewhere, the smell is unbelievable and almost impossible to find.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #8
Pull Toy

If you used Warfarin, he'll be looking for water, and in theory that's where they die. I'd make sure he had a way to exit the trailer, and maybe bait som traps there.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote