Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
tommy_z

Electric Steps

Here ya go, have a laugh on me.....

I store my trailer under a sturdy steel car port. Of all the things I forgot when prep'ing for a trip, I didn't retract the trailer steps. As I started to pull out, they hung on a carport post and bent the bejesus out of the bottom one.

I couldn't retract them to leave, so I had to drill/pound the rivets out to remove the bottom step. Anyway, when I got back I was able to bend and hammer until I could bolt the bottom step back on. Not perfect, but it's perfectly sturdy.

My question is, anybody upgrade to automatic electric steps on a trailer? I've seen them on motorhomes and thought they were nice.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Electric steps are more expensive and usually not as reliable as mechanical steps. They are a "necessity" on motor homes (you're inside and need the steps down to get out or up to depart). Most trailer manufacturers don't even have the option of electric steps for several reasons, first is cost, second is that most motorhomes have one or two steps, most trailers have three or four. Three or four step folding electric step systems are difficult to find and very difficult to maintain.

I suppose it's generally accepted that mechanical steps are a part of the "KISS" technology found in most trailer entry systems.

Besides, if you "forget, left them down and pulled out of the carport" with electric steps, you'd be looking at an insurance claim, not a drill for the rivets....

ADDED: As an example, a 3 step electric system costs $1118.97 http://www.delcity.net/store/24-Series/p_799458 while a 3 step mechanical system costs $225.90 http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...mper-steps.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I thought about adding them as I have access to stuff cheaper than the average bear.

Glad all I did was think about it. Too much to go wrong for what I consider a minor improvement.

As for retracting them and missing the carport uprights, there is a switch that makes them extend and retract automatically when the door is opened/closed. Just that much more to install and go wrong.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Chuckster57's comment about the switch. Most electric step switches have a "off/on" function as well as the "step in/out" function. When you're parked in a campground (motorhome or trailer) you don't want the wear and tear (and electrical battery drain) of constantly opening/closing the steps every time you open the RV door. So, there is a switch function that allows the steps to remain "out" (or down) when camping. The potential to "forget to turn on that switch" is just as great as the potential to forget to "fold your manual steps"..... So, with manual steps, a repair that you can probably do, with electric steps, a call to your insurance agent if you bend/warp them. Yes, I speak from experience, our motorhome had electric steps and I pulled out with them extended, well, until I heard the scraping as we crossed the curb. Expensive lesson learned the "wallet way".....

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a fan of electric steps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
tommy_z

You've both convinced me. I'll K.I.S. and stop being Stupid about my pre-flight checks.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote