Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
arwenmark

2004 Sprinter FKMS battery over ride ?

Does anyone here know if the 2004 Sprinter FKMS has any kind of battery over ride or disconnect?

I know it's a long shot but thought maybe someone has one now or has had that model in the past?

We just brought it home this weekend finally and I think the battery is shot, I have tried charging without any success. If I try to switch on anything battery operated I get a loud beep like a fire alarm, but nothing comes on or works.

So I thought maybe I am missing something that needs to be on or connected or something.

I will be ordering a new battery today as well.

Thanks for any info. you guys can give.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I do not know if that trailer came with or without. In any case many people add them if they did not come with one. Look in the foreword storage and around the frame near the battery. They will be red and say on/off or something like that. They are several different ones made some are round with a knob and some have a removable T shape handle. If your using the trailer as a traveling RV, getting a on/off switch really is a good idea. Should cost around 100 bucks with installed price. This trailer I have and last one 02 model needed a good battery to work stuff even when plugged into shore power. Get a new battery now and you know it should last a few years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
14george

Mine has a switch in storage compartment
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
arwenmark

So I never did find a battery by pass or shut off. And the battery I have now won't hold a charge.

But there is an alarm of some sort that goes off if you try to turn anything on and also this morning went off by itself, without anyone turning anything on.
as far as I know the only thing ON and drawing any power is the gas/carbon monoxide detector and I don't see a way to shut it off.

Doe anyone know where the alarm is coming from and what it means and how to stop it? It is not the fire alarm. Is is some kind of low battery warning?

There is no one in the trailer it is just sitting in the yard.

I can't seem to find anything online about this. I hope someone here has the answers.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Edited to remove my terseness.

It's possible that there is a fire alarm or carbon monoxide detector that need to have their batteries replaced. Are you trying to avoid buying a battery? The main 12v battery is likely necessary to have. The electric trailer brakes (if equipped) will need a good battery to work in case it becomes disconnected while travelling.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
arwenmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Edited to remove my terseness.

It's possible that there is a fire alarm or carbon monoxide detector that need to have their batteries replaced. Are you trying to avoid buying a battery? The main 12v battery is likely necessary to have. The electric trailer brakes (if equipped) will need a good battery to work in case it becomes disconnected while travelling.
I still don't understand why the alarm goes off, but it seems to be related to the battery in some way because when it was going off this morning, I went into the trailer and found the water pump on switch was on, no idea how it got on but it was, turned it off and alarm stopped immediately.

As I stated earlier in my posts, The battery the trailer came with seems to be no good anymore, I didn't really expect it to be good. I have ordered another battery to replace it, but that will not arrive until April 7. So no I am not trying to avoid buying a battery.

I AM trying to understand what is going on with the trailer though as this is my first one and came with no booklets or info. And no where have I read anything about a battery alarm that sounds whenever the battery is low and you try to turn on anything that would be powered by the battery.

I thought someone here might recognize this particular feature, if that is what it is and give me some insight into it.

Carbon monoxide and gas and smoke detectors all seem to be working fine and they are not what is going off.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

arwenmark -
Is there any possibility that the "alarm" you hear may be coming from the clock in the stereo? There may be a clock alarm that is somehow being triggered by "something". Have you managed to isolate where the alarm sound is coming from?

In a previous post, you described the sound as being a loud beep like a "fire alarm". Can you be a bit more specific? Is it similar to the loud beep of a smoke detector? High pitched? Low pitched?

If it isn't any of the detectors, I can't think of any kind of "alarm" that behaves in the way you described.

I am wondering if the previous owner may have put in some kind of motion sensor alarm that goes off when you open the door or move about?

It is a puzzle for sure.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
randy69

Check the 12 volt lp sensor they will go bad also mine runs off the main battery and has no 12 volt battery pack. Another suggestion plug the unit in shore power. And check your inside lights are they dim? Could be your converter. It's not charging battery or putting out 12 volts.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

I had thought I responded to this issue before unless you had two different posts?? Anyway one of my questions was how were you trying to charge those batteries, a battery type tender, the onboard converter, ??. I also would be interested in what happens when you connect to shore power ie use converter to charge batteries and supply 12VDC to your rig. Same issues??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote