Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
triple602

Basement leak

Posting for a non-computer using friend with a 2013 Outback.

It appears that the cut-out for the front basement storage door was made too big - you can see into the compartment via a gap between the door mounting flange and the sidewall of the trailer.

The dealer attempted to fix by ordering and installing a new door. Shockingly the new door had the same dimensions as the original and didn't fix the leak.

My friend is at his wits end. Before he pushes it off a cliff or torches it in front of the Keystone factory, does anyone have suggestions, besides just gooping 3 tubes of caulk, on how we might fill this gap??

Mike
triple602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Before he strikes the match I would get the vin number from the rig and see if Keystone can give you the part number of the door that is for that Vin. Think possibly the wrong door was installed at the factory and dealer may have ordered a new door from number on your old door. Possibly could measure opening and ask Keystone to supply door part number for that opening. Strange thing happen at times. Hopefully your hear from a member with the same rig as you. Same issue?? Sounds like you have a big gap and sounds like wrong door rather than misaligned ??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
triple602

Wrong door is a possibility that I'll try and help him check into.

I heard from an Outback owner on another forum that had same problem. Their dealer solved with some sort of thick weather strip gasket.

While I haven't dealt with them, unfortunately from the sounds of it my friend's dealer isn't very motivated, or for that matter capable, of coming up with a solution to the problem. Maybe if he parks the trailer on street in front of the dealer with a big sign on it they'll do something?????

Frustrating to say the least.
triple602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
therink

I had a similar problem with my outside kitchen door. The opening in the sidewall of the camper was cut a bit too large causing a gap between the door and frame at the bottom.
The fix was to remove old door/frame assembly and replace with new one. When installing tthe new one, the lower frame was shimmed up about 1/8 inch which reduced the gap between the door and frame when closed.
I actually installed the new doormyself (even though under wwarranty), because I didn't trust that the dealer would do it correctly. The door was provided to me at no cost.
It has not leaked since.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #5
LaTundra

trailer life magazine

Trailer Life Magazine is a great go-between for issues like this. They will contact the dealer and manufacturer and once these problems are posted in a nation wide magazine, problems get solved QUICK.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote