Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
Mark 350

System monitor

My Montana HC 380 TH has 1 black and 2 grey tanks but the monitor indicates 2 black and reads black 1 is full and black 2 is empty. I did empty the lack tank so I know it should read empty but (my question), shouldn't they both read empty or is the black 1 not reading properly?
Mark 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
Martian

Sounds like your tank is reading properly. The only time you can get an empty reading on a black tank is before it is used. After the first use, the readings get problematic. It could be empty and read full or full and read empty(lots rarer) but without a lot of work the only accurate one will be the fresh.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Sounds like your tank is reading properly. The only time you can get an empty reading on a black tank is before it is used. After the first use, the readings get problematic. It could be empty and read full or full and read empty(lots rarer) but without a lot of work the only accurate one will be the fresh.
I will pipe in here: with proper care the sensors will work for as long as you own the trailer. PROPER care involves lots of water in the black tank and regular cleaning.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #4
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 350 View Post
My Montana HC 380 TH has 1 black and 2 grey tanks but the monitor indicates 2 black and reads black 1 is full and black 2 is empty. I did empty the lack tank so I know it should read empty but (my question), shouldn't they both read empty or is the black 1 not reading properly?
Proper care "includes" as a big part, but not limited to, filling 10% of the tanks capacity with water (I also mix in simple green) before you head out camping. let that solution slosh around in there the whole trip. Helps keep the sides and sensors clean. Ya, you have less capacity when you do set up for the camping but it makes a world of difference in you readings and your odor build up.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #5
LHaven

None of this addresses the OP's problem of a monitor which reports a full black tank which shouldn't even exist!

OP, can you please fill out User CP / Edit Signature with your trailer and tow vehicle info, like you see below, so that we can make... more informed guesses.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:04 AM   #6
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
None of this addresses the OP's problem of a monitor which reports a full black tank which shouldn't even exist!

OP, can you please fill out User CP / Edit Signature with your trailer and tow vehicle info, like you see below, so that we can make... more informed guesses.
It does "possibly" address the issue as after he used it, now it doesn't read correctly. The usual problem with that us stuck on stuff. Addressing the problem with proper cleaning techniques.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:19 AM   #7
Max23

Quote:

I do however see what you are saying,is I not possible to have 2 black tanks? I would agree with you that it would be very strange for that to happen. Maybe we all kinda misread that particular part.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:42 AM   #8
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 350 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here, but does this rig have the in-command system in it? If so they might have the floor plan loaded wrong. Just a guess, but if you know for sure what tanks you have, that could be it.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:51 AM   #9
LHaven

According to independent websites, the Montana High Country 380TH has one black, one gray, and one fresh tank. No mention of inCommand, and I can't find that model anymore on Keystone's main site.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
Carl n Susan

Quote:
According to independent websites, the Montana High Country 380TH has one black, one gray, and one fresh tank. No mention of inCommand, and I can't find that model anymore on Keystone's main site.
The HC 380TH was made in 2017 or so. It is no longer manufactured so it doesn't appear on Montana's website.

It was too early for In-Command (thankfully) and like every Montana, whether the regular Montana or High Country (HC) versions, they come with *TWO* grey tanks. One for the shower and one for the galley. The Keystone specs don't state there is only grey water tank. They state there is 80 gallons storage.

The reason you have a panel with displays for two black tanks is Keystone is cheap. They used the same monitor for all their HCs regardless of the number of bathrooms. Most models have one toilet but there were some with two.

This is the 380/381TH floor plan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	380TH Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	45535
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
like every Montana, whether the regular Montana or High Country (HC) versions, they come with *TWO* grey tanks. One for the shower and one for the galley. The Keystone specs don't state there is only grey water tank. They state there is 80 gallons storage.
As I mentioned, Keystone's definitive website no longer contains those specs, and apparently some independent sources lie [LINK].
Old 10-30-2023, 09:44 AM   #12
Carl n Susan

They all, including Keystone, misstate the number of grey tanks. The most frequently asked question on the Montana Owner Club forum is about the kitchen tank not draining due to the belief there is only one grey tank. Montana's hiding the galley drain handle down along the frame hasn't helped.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:21 AM   #13
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. I have never seen a tank sensor that is even remotely accurate.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #14
Richeyb

Post Fellow 380 Owner

Welcome fellow Texan! I have owned a 2017 HC 380 for over5 years and love the floor plan. It has no in command system but the panel by the entry door does list 2 black tanks, 2 grey tanks and 1 clean water tank.
In reality it has only one black tank with the drain behind the back wheel and the drain handle a black handle up behind the wheel. The grey tanks are a little tricky. Their drain is under the kitchen slideout but the two different tanks have separate handles. One located behind the wheel, a silver handle by the black handle and it feeds forward to the one drain for grey tanks under kitchen slideout. The second handle from the kitchen is under kitchen slideout. I usually drain both grey tanks at the same time.
Hope you enjoy your 380 as much as we have!

B Richey
Richeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #15
jimd1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The HC 380TH was made in 2017 or so. It is no longer manufactured so it doesn't appear on Montana's website.

It was too early for In-Command (thankfully) and like every Montana, whether the regular Montana or High Country (HC) versions, they come with *TWO* grey tanks. One for the shower and one for the galley. The Keystone specs don't state there is only grey water tank. They state there is 80 gallons storage.

The reason you have a panel with displays for two black tanks is Keystone is cheap. They used the same monitor for all their HCs regardless of the number of bathrooms. Most models have one toilet but there were some with two.

This is the 380/381TH floor plan.

Attachment 45535
Absolutely CORRECT! Same for regular Montana's as well - my 2019 3121RL has the same situation, 2 grey, 1 black but my display shows two and two!!! I can see by some blank spaces throughout the panel, that this one is used in multiple models!
jimd1050 is offline   Reply With Quote