Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
mcgeno99

Progressive or Hughes EMS

Looking to upgrade and protect our 2021 26RKS. Presently just using a surge protector, but after all of the horror stories I've seen lately I'm ready to purchase an EMS...
Just wanted to hear what everyone's thoughts were on the Progressive EMS and the Hughes EMS...

From what I've seen, pricing wise they're within a few dollars of each other....

I'm not looking for the hardwired unit, so any honest help is appreciated
mcgeno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I will let those that have experience with those units respond, but;

I have used a Surge Guard by Southwire for many years and it has never failed or given me a problem; my next one would be the same. IMO look at the 34951? (50A) that has a remote monitor? Look at what the give you on the monitor, protection (34951 gives you RV side neutral protection/PD does not).

These things need due diligence from the buyer. What do you do and what do want the "EMS" to do. You can't go wrong with either one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
rhagfo

Can’t help much as I bought a Progressive hardwired unit with remote display love it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
mcgeno99

I'm not sure what I'm expecting other then first hand accounts or pluses & minuses of each one.

I just know that that a surge protector alone is not enough, and I'm seeing many others with RVs having issues at locations with proper power at the poles.

Having an app to be able to see "live" what's going on is nice, and that means the Hughes... I haven't completely looked into the progressive unit to see if that's something that they offer.
I just know that I want an EMS in hand for next season. I've only got a couple more trips left this year and it's to places I've been before, so I'm not overly concerned right now. But next year there will be trips to places we've never been and would rather be safe then sorry
mcgeno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Can’t help much as I bought a Progressive hardwired unit with remote display love it.
Same here. Don’t have to remember to plug it in, and don’t have to walk outside to read any trouble codes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Ditto, always on, display inside the coach, no worry of it walking off.

Either choice is better than not having one.

-Brian
Old 08-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #7
Mopar madman

Love my progressive hardwired version.

Jeff & Theresa Barsotti

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab Laramie SLT
2011 Keystone Laredo 265 RL
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
dutchmensport

I have had Surge Guard, Hughes Autofoamer, and Progressive.

The Surge Guard lasted one year and got "hit". It shut down the trailer OK, just fine, but the Surge Guard was toast. Surge Guard did not have a replacement or a "fix-em-up" policy at all, so I switched to a Progressive portable (These were 30 amp).

The Progressive did just great. It saved my camper's keester a few times. It would shut down the camper and eventually reset itself, which was great! Until one day it grew legs and walked away. (sad day and I lost my faith in humanity that day too).

I purchased another portable Progressive (and for the life of me, I can't remember why I quit using it.) However, I did find a creative way to install it inside the camper with plugs, so it could be unplugged at will. This came in real handy, because I ended up getting a Hughes Autofoamer (30 amp)

Got a 30 amp Hughes Autofoamer and loved it. I really loved the blue tooth technology to connect to my phone and it would display the read-outs.

However, little did I realize when I purchased it, it would be 3 weeks later we would trade our 30 amp travel trailer for a 50 amp Fifth Wheel.

When we traded the trailer, I simply removed the Hughes and plugged back in the original 30 amp power cord. I kept the Hughes (30 amp).

When we purchased the 50 amp Fifth Wheel, I also purchased a new 50 amp Progressive (portable) EMS which I've been using ever since. It's always plugged in, and on several occasions has shut down the trailer, or refused to allow power to the trailer, because in every case, the campground shore power breaker was bad. The EMS resets itself and keeps working like a champ.

I still have the Hughes Autofoamer (30 amp), which I have used a couple times when we had no 50 amp hook-up. When that happens, we just revert back to 30 amp power management in the camper and keep on enjoying life. No biggie for us.

Now, the Progressive EMS does not have the Blue Tooth technology, but it does have the read out's on the device. It flashes error codes when something goes wrong, and I keep a chart of the error codes handy so I know what's going on pretty quick. But of the two, I think the Progressive is a better choice over the Hughes Autofoamer.

Do some reading on what and how Autofoamers actually work. They do provide protection, but they also attempt to make corrections to the power for you first. Whereas, the Progressive just shuts power off for you. And from what I understand from my reading and from watching YouTube videos, it seems some campground managments do not like their customers to use Autofoamers. (for good reasons).

Anyway, of all of them I've used, by far, I am most happy with the Progressive EMS:

Click here
Old 08-11-2021, 03:24 AM   #9
Javi

I currently have a Surge Guard hardwired in the Avalanche because the dealer couldn't get a Progressive at the time. The Surge Guard works fine but I miss the Progressive as it gave me more information and was easier to read.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
fatcatzzz

Progressive hard wire. It has saved our rig several times. Don't leave home without it.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
Fishsizzle

I have both, 1 in the 5th wheel (Progressive) and Hughes Watchdog in MH.

I hard wired both myself
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeno99 View Post
I'm not sure what I'm expecting other then first hand accounts or pluses & minuses of each one.

I just know that that a surge protector alone is not enough, and I'm seeing many others with RVs having issues at locations with proper power at the poles.

Having an app to be able to see "live" what's going on is nice, and that means the Hughes... I haven't completely looked into the progressive unit to see if that's something that they offer.
I just know that I want an EMS in hand for next season. I've only got a couple more trips left this year and it's to places I've been before, so I'm not overly concerned right now. But next year there will be trips to places we've never been and would rather be safe then sorry

I have a brand new still in the box Progressive Industries PT50X for sale.
PM me if interested.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #13
Fishsizzle

The app is the reason I went with the Hughes on the MH. It’s nice to see what’s going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BADDCAC-83F1-437D-97DF-F015FD0CC84A.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	35234   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC94E6EA-E624-4DF6-A8C9-04D2D41FF6C4.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	35235  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
vampress_me

We had a PI hardwired EMS in our Cougar. It lasted 6 years before it quit working. When it started giving high voltage and low voltage errors immediately following each other on a tested circuit at home, I knew it was toast. When I went to use the lifetime warranty, I was told they would only replace the parts not the whole unit and they would only ship the parts to an approved service technician and I would have to pay them to repair it, plus it would be over an hour drive to one. My understanding from when we bought the unit was if it failed they would replace it, or we could send it to them for repairs. Well, apparently not anymore.

So, when we got the new Paradigm, we bought a Hughes autoformer and Hughes Power Watchdog. Figured at least if this broke, we can buy and replace the part ourselves (and already bought a spare part, just in case).

I miss the display that the PI came with because it was very easy to glance over at it to see what was going on. On the flip side, the Power Watchdog has “an app” for that. It works good, I’m just too used to the constant display of the PI yet, without needing a phone to look at. But, I do have to say the Hughes combo has worked great when we’ve been in low voltage situations (sometimes boosted by the autoformer, and sometimes it has cut power when there was a bigger issue with a campground).

So, basically I think both are good brands to choose. I just was a little disgusted by the warranty now versus when we bought the PI.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
ObiRich

I have the Hughes Watchdog and really like it. Got it when it was on sale on Amazon, and it was about $80 cheaper than the Progressive. Two things set it apart...the surge module is user replaceable for about $35 so the whole thing isn't trashed if it takes a surge. Second is the bluetooth connectivity that shows you the errors and measures your usage on both legs of a 50 amp feed.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
goodellj

I started out in 2012 with a Progressive surge protector similar to the SSP-50X. It lasted about 4 years till one day it got toasted. I replaced it with a Southwire Surge Guard 44270 which I used for another 3 years. After reading about all the miswired and dangerous power pedestals, voltage dips and peaks, as well as power surges, I splurged for a Southwire Surge Guard 34950 and have been using it every since.

I've only had one campground where it tripped, several times, and it was an older campground in the middle of summer. Most of the time it's just there, doing it's thing, giving me some peace of mind.

I usually only lock it up when we are staying a few days and will be leaving the campsite, not for overnights.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #17
Ccrew

Sorry, I'm another Progressive hard wired fan. Been in 2 RV's, never an issue, saved us from numerous low voltage events. Never have to worry about it growing legs, or getting water damaged
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
Logan X

I use the progressive industries hardwired unit. It failed after about three years of faithful service. Progressive Industries replaced the unit under warranty. I submitted the warranty claim on line and they approved it within hours. I received the new unit within a couple of days. I was impressed with their customer service.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
LenH

We have the portable Hughes 50 amp. It will not turn on power to rv if anything is wrong. The phone app is great and gives voltage and current readout in real time. Has not had any issues in the 2 years of service so far.
LenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
Bandit12

I have the Progressive 50 amp portable EMS. I had a 30 amp unit for my previous trailer and when we bought the Cougar nearly a year ago, I bough the 50 amp unit. I Had concerns about it getting legs and wandering off so I got a combination lock and would plug it into the pedestal and then lock the cover closed. No way to get the EMS off the pedestal without either cutting into a live wire or cutting the lock. Then I started thinking, what if I need to cut power in a hurry? Do I really want to have to dial in a combination in an emergency? No I didn't. I saw a post somewhere about a method to lock the EMS to the power cord. The below pics show what I did, sorry for the sideways view, they look right on my computer. 2 feet of 3/16 aircraft cable, a swedge kit, a big rock in my yard and a hand held sledgehammer. Took about 10 minutes to put together. Now if someone wants my EMS, they have to either cut the cable or take the entire power cord with them. And if they are messing about at the back of the trailer, our two 4 legged burglar alarms will alert us in one big hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progeressive EMS Security.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	35277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progeressive EMS Security 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	35278  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote