Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Deeds

Urgent need help with bearing grease!

Hey everyone, I kinda need some urgent help, I have a 2015 keystone laredo 23rb... I bought it last year from my parents who bought it, had it delivered to my place and due to health reasons prevented them from using it even once... I bought it last year from them and had the dealer go over it but looking at my receipt and giving the dealer a call the bearings were overlooked! We leave first thing in the morning and now I've realized that for 4 years the bearings have not been greased granted the trailer has less than 1000 miles on it I'm struggling with what to do! I dont know how to disassemble the the axle to clean and repack, I can add grease to the ez lube fittings though! Curious do you guys think 4 years but less than 1000 miles the preexisting grease is good to run or should i add some? I feel like i know the answer but now I've been told if i dont know what's in there it's bad news to add some because some greases dont mix well. I would add lucas red and tacky if y'all think that's a good thing to do. No dealers were able to squeeze me in! And I was told it was done so normally i wouldn't neglect things like this!
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Deeds, how long of a trip?

Edit: Did you replace the tires? They have probably aged out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would worry about the tires, I think your good on the grease.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Deeds

Not horribly far around 600 miles round trip, I'm kinda nervous now that I went through the receipt and saw it was never done, this is the furthest we've ventured from home its pulled fine on our shorter trips, I just keep hearing about greasing the brakes and mixing grease so I'm confused what's my best way to go about things!
Old 08-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Deeds

Lol just put Carlisle hds on it due to the crap trailer kings or whatever they are cracking! No worries with the tires now, it rides so much better with the carlisle
Old 08-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Change out the tires. Take your trip and when you get back, we will discuss bearing service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You will probably be OK until you get back. Have you pulled the rubber caps off the wheels to look inside? Can you see any kind of "soft" grease or is it just all hard dried and crumbly?
Old 08-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Deeds

Haven't pulled them I'll go check now
Old 08-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

With new tires, I personally wouldn’t be that worried about the bearings.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

If the trailer wasn't used, the bearing grease will still be there and since bearing grease doesn't evaporate, don't worry about it. Just enjoy your trip!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
Deeds

Alright I just went out and checked, i cant see the bearings due to a seal behind the zerk, but I did notice some red grease around the zerk that appeared to be pretty fresh... so If you guys think just run it i will, I just didn't know if I should try and add any! Thanks for everyones quick responses I will go back to packing up!
Old 08-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I say don’t add any grease, doing so may cause grease to get past the seal and contaminate the brakes.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like it should be OK. Go for it, have fun and repack when you get back; then you know what you got.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Deeds

Alright I'll stop worrying, but I wont forget to deal with them, thanks guys you definetly put me ease on the whole thing! Thank you for your help!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
travelin texans

I recommend NEVER using the EZ lube system, others swear by it but most swear at it.
As suggested check the tire dates, I'd be more concerned with them as this point. Go enjoy your trip & care of the bearings when you return. There u tube videos with his to pack rv bearings using minimal tools, you will get your hands dirty, but this a maintenance item that's not difficult to perform & would be beneficial to you to know how to do it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #16
notanlines

Deeds, four knowledgeable people (albeit three of them are Texans ) have given you good advice! Almost nobody with any experience recommends using the zerk on the EZ lube system. Believe me, avoid using it. If you are running on original rubber or dated rubber, replace them! Take your trip, enjoy yourself, and we'll get into the bearing some other day.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #17
Steveo57

Don't worry about the bearings and the grease. Most of the trailers you'll see on your trip have never touched their bearings! Check the temperatures of the wheels when you stop to see if anything is getting hot.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Alright I just went out and checked, i cant see the bearings due to a seal behind the zerk, but I did notice some red grease around the zerk that appeared to be pretty fresh... so If you guys think just run it i will, I just didn't know if I should try and add any! Thanks for everyones quick responses I will go back to packing up!
You cannot visualize the bearings unless you remove the hub. As just about everyone has stated don't worry about the bearings now BUT DO WORRY ABOUT THOSE TIRES!

Trailer tires don't wear out they age out. The tires that come on the trailers are known to blow apart in just a few years. A hand grenade might do less damage than a blow out at highway speeds. If it were mine I'd only tow it to a tire dealer. There's many, many posts on this forum about tire choices. Get a drink, pull up a chair, and start reading.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
Hoopy Frood

Didn't anyone read that he had already changed the tires out?

With a 600 mile trip, I certainly wouldn't worry about the bearings. Although it would be a good idea to check the bearing grease at some point after the trip. Most of the issues with the EZ Lube system is from faulty assembly at the facility where the axles were assembled, IMO anyway. But the EZ Lube system isn't really needed.

The bearings should be checked, and repacked if necessary, when the trailer is first taken into possession. After that every few years if you feel the need, or more often if you put many tens of thousands of miles on your trailer. Every year is a waste of time, material, and effort. And brakes can be checked at the same time you do your bearings, again more often if you travel lots and lots of miles.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Billod

Bearing Grease, Bearing and Brakes...

I thought I would share my recent experience with bearings, grease, and brakes, etc.

I purchased a lightly used trailer with two axles and found a bad bearing and one tire that had a lot of wear (after purchase). After reviewing Youtube videos, I decided to replace all of the bearings and races, and in my opinion, it was a relatively straight forward task, albeit messy. I am glad I performed the upgrades, and I had peace of mind for the trip, while also protecting the new tires that I had just purchased.

What I further discovered while replacing the bearings was the electric brake shoe pads were very thick and thought I was all right. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the brake magnet contact point to the brake drum was worn past its wear indicator holes at a surprising angle, causing limited braking when the brakes applied (I had adjusted the brakes). I was further surprised to discover the brake drum were also worn at the same angle and had limited contact between the new magnet, and drum surface. As a result, I had to replace the drums.

In the end, I replaced the entire electric brake assembly ($65 each) because just the magnet were $20 itself. I installed new drums (~$65 each), and bearings and races ($25 each). New Lucas Red and Tacky wheel bearing grease (3 tubes about $5 each) and a bearing packing tool "Performance Tool Universal Bearing Packer" for about $8. It was well worth the time and investment to ensure the best that I could that we did not have a breakdown on the side of the road with the family. It took me a weekend to complete the maintenance for our 3K mile round trip that I just finished this week. The tools I needed to replace the bearing races were a brass punch and bearing race driver that totaled ~$40.

I hope this helps. Also, I am have not performed bearing and brake replacements on a trailer before. Youtube has terrific repair videos, IMHO.

p.s. My trailer has the Dexter Ez-Lube axles and I was able to see the concern of others greasing bearings using the grease zerk fittings and overfilling with grease. In a pinch, I would use it very sparingly. I will probably never use them, and grease the bearings the old fashion method.

Best,
Bill
Billod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grease