Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Big 417

Pimpled wall board water damage

Need some ideas guys/gals. We ended up with a little moisture damage up in the bedroom of our fuzion 417. Noticed some pimple/bubbles in the wall paper. After some investigating, found a couple issues with the awning arm installation. The big blob of sealant at the top where the power wire comes out wasn't properly bonded. So water could get in there. Also there was no sealant put on any of the hardware holding the bracket on. The one lag screw was actually rusty, which could have been the biggest source of water infiltration. Anyways that's all fixed up now.

My question is, can these small bubbles be repaired, the adhesive is not sticky underneath, as they don't stick when you push on them.

Can one buy the wall paper material and effectively "re wallpaper" that panel?

And lastly, if need be, how hard is it seperate the interior panel from the white styrofoam exterior insulation. As it fully bonded to the entire panel.

Although this is most definitely caused by poor manufacturing process, I don't expect much help from dealer/Keystone. I am fully capable of doing the work myself it the products are available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200713_090634.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	28894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200713_112708.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	28895  
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
chunker

You might try a hot hair dryer or a heat gun to try to soften or activate the possible glue under the wall paper. Careful with a heat gun as they can get too hot and damage thing. Go slow and you might get lucky. With the bubbles you could prick with a pin and as you heat the bubble push the paper in.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Big 417

Had a go at it with the w's hair dryer and a small hand held laminate roller. Worked pretty good. Bubbles are gone, just a few tiny bumps where the paper got stretched. I'll consider it repaired. Thanks for the tip
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Ill be trying the same thing. Were in florida right now and i just noticed the same thing in our bedroom next to the window. I went outside and sure enough its the front arm for the awning thats mounted next to the window. Unbelievable that these people cant even caulk some stuff right. Care to post some after pics? I had seen suggestions to try a wallpaper steamer but this seems counter productive to me.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Big 417

I can snap a pic later. But honestly, you can't see anything. Just feels like a few grains of sand under it here and there.

Make sure you poke as many of the bubbles as you can with a pin or razor blade. It really didn't take much heat to stick it.

I don't think introducing more moisture with a steamer is a good idea. And fix the caulking, then let it sit and dry out before you attemp the repair. Maybe even put a fan on it for a while. Until the substrate is good and dry, I'd worry it will just bubble more.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Ya i was going to let a dehumidifier run for a few days before doing anything after i get the outside issue fixed. Did you try rolling them before popping? Ive heard that the wallpaper is available in rolls but im hoping i dont have to go that far.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
Big 417

No, I popped right away. My thoughts where that the bubble would just push around if the air wasn't released.

Yeah, I was going to contact the dealer to see if the wall paper was available. I won't change it now, unless this fix doesn't last. Even if a guy just does a 2' wide section and more seam tape.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Ok, ill give it a shot without popping first and see how that does just for the heck of it. Ill update afterwards also, there are a ton of these posts that turn up in a google search but no one really discusses a fix and how it turns out.

Tags
damage, led, water, water damage