Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2024, 07:12 AM   #21
DDuncan51
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North Myton Bench
Posts: 43
Mileage will vary depending on heavy the load is. But for myself, I have a 1994 GMC K2500HD w/7.6 Liter gas engine, pulling several 5th wheels and pull behinds over the years. New, it got 11mpg on a good day, if I kept it under 60 mph, dropping to 9mph at 70mph. But now, last time I checked a few years ago, I'm getting 7-9 depending on speed. I stopped looking. Trucks getting long in the tooth, but so am I. I'm hoping it lasts longer than I do.
One time coming home from the Black Hills to the Uintah Basin, driving west across Wyoming. Wind blowing like crazy. Mileage was 4mpg! There are a lot of variables effecting mpg. Years ago, I finally figured if I need to figure mileage I better just park it.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:16 AM   #22
rjniles
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 65
2014 F150 with the NA 1.7L V-6. Passport 195RB. I get about 18-19 around town, 9-10 towing.
__________________
2009 Passport 195RB, 2014 F150 SCAB
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:29 AM   #23
MrRobalo
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Grant
Posts: 48
Living in Fl I have a Bullet 220RBO loaded around 6500lb And have pulled it with a
Durango RT, Yukon Denali and a Nissan Armada and they all were with in 1/2-1 mpg different. Denali had more passing power ,Durango pulled just OK but got bigger vehicles.
Overall the Armada got the best mileage with or without towing.
9 is the Majic Number. I averaged of all 3 together. All with reg gas.
__________________
Sammy Joe Quattry
4 Generations of Fishermen, 1 ROBALO
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:24 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 18,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuncan51 View Post
Mileage will vary depending on heavy the load is. But for myself, I have a 1994 GMC K2500HD w/7.6 Liter gas engine, pulling several 5th wheels and pull behinds over the years. New, it got 11mpg on a good day, if I kept it under 60 mph, dropping to 9mph at 70mph. But now, last time I checked a few years ago, I'm getting 7-9 depending on speed. I stopped looking. Trucks getting long in the tooth, but so am I. I'm hoping it lasts longer than I do.
One time coming home from the Black Hills to the Uintah Basin, driving west across Wyoming. Wind blowing like crazy. Mileage was 4mpg! There are a lot of variables effecting mpg. Years ago, I finally figured if I need to figure mileage I better just park it.

^^^^My feelings exactly. RVing is an expensive hobby and towing them (which is why I own one) is that much more expensive. I no longer look at the gallons or the cost.....it doesn't matter if I'm going to use the RV....that's why I have it. I do look at my little EVIC computer gas mileage estimate from time to time but only to have an idea of what the engine is doing.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:38 AM   #25
Peto
Senior Member
 
Peto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Did I read that right, that your gas tank is only 20 gallons???

My 2013 F150 3.5L EB has a 36 gallon tank, and my 2020 F250 6.2L has a 34 gallon capacity.
You had the max tow tank on the 150.


My 150 had it too. It really was a great truck with th eco boost engine but I was getting too close to maxing out the payload for my liking so upgraded to a F250.



I'm happy with 9mpg given the fact I live in a valley and it's all up hill from here.
__________________
2023 25RDS Hideout.
2022 F 250 Super Poopy
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:00 AM   #26
Badbart56
Senior Member
 
Badbart56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA and Canada
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuncan51 View Post
Mileage will vary depending on heavy the load is. But for myself, I have a 1994 GMC K2500HD w/7.6 Liter gas engine, pulling several 5th wheels and pull behinds over the years. New, it got 11mpg on a good day, if I kept it under 60 mph, dropping to 9mph at 70mph. But now, last time I checked a few years ago, I'm getting 7-9 depending on speed. I stopped looking. Trucks getting long in the tooth, but so am I. I'm hoping it lasts longer than I do.
One time coming home from the Black Hills to the Uintah Basin, driving west across Wyoming. Wind blowing like crazy. Mileage was 4mpg! There are a lot of variables effecting mpg. Years ago, I finally figured if I need to figure mileage I better just park it.
My Dad's next door neighbor is about my age and he had a 97 F-350 crew cab dually, identical to the one I had, right down to the Oxford White paint with blue interior. Except he had a 460 gas engine and I had the old 7.3 diesel. He said he got 6 mpg empty and 4 mpg towing his camper. This should make you feel better.
__________________


2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:45 AM   #27
GlasNav
Senior Member
 
GlasNav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Onaga, KS
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
My Dad's next door neighbor is about my age and he had a 97 F-350 crew cab dually, identical to the one I had, right down to the Oxford White paint with blue interior. Except he had a 460 gas engine and I had the old 7.3 diesel. He said he got 6 mpg empty and 4 mpg towing his camper. This should make you feel better.
I've tried to pass on exactly what you mentioned to others that complain about mileage when towing a trailer now a days. I tell them that big block Chevy's in the early '90s got 5MPG when towing and they tell me I'm nuts. However, your 7.3 Powerstroke back then with wastegate turbo and zip emissions got 12MPG while towing.
__________________

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 10:09 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 27,360
I've found through the years, that if your rig is "reasonably matched" in weight capability and ratings, that you can expect to get about half the mileage when towing or "double the mileage when solo"... So, if you get around 20 solo, expect about 10 towing. If you get around 16 solo, expect around 8 towing.

Now, when it comes to today's "hybrid SUV's that get 40 MPG solo" who knows whether they can even tow a trailer with that Atkinson regenerative gas engine system"... ????

So, my "generally speaking" is from my "old school experience with gas and diesel engines".... Gone are the days of the old International Harvester Travelall and the Jeep Wagoneer "tank" that was built on a 3/4 ton truck chassis.

But, for "best guess purposes" I'd still believe that most rigs will get around half the mileage when towing that they do solo.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 05:26 PM   #29
Halcyon
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Elizabeth
Posts: 68
Whatís your mileage?

I had a 2005 silverado 2500, it had 200,000 miles on it with the 6.0 L gas engine. I have a 2018 Sprinter 5th wheel, 10K lbs loaded. I thought I had plenty of truck. When it ran consistently 8.0 mpg towing, I bought a 2017 diesel duramax, I thought I could beat the gasser easily. Well, yes, it does average 11.2 day in and day out while towing. Whoopie do. As everyone says, mileage doesnít account for as much as other things. Power going up the mountains? No contest. Safety going down the mountain? No contest. The diesel is just SO much better, but mileage? Not so much.
__________________
Jim & Susie 54 yrs
2017 Chev 2500 Duramax, long bed, CC, 4x4
2018 Sprinter 29FWRLS 5er
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:38 PM   #30
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I had a 2005 silverado 2500, it had 200,000 miles on it with the 6.0 L gas engine. I have a 2018 Sprinter 5th wheel, 10K lbs loaded. I thought I had plenty of truck. When it ran consistently 8.0 mpg towing, I bought a 2017 diesel duramax, I thought I could beat the gasser easily. Well, yes, it does average 11.2 day in and day out while towing. Whoopie do. As everyone says, mileage doesnít account for as much as other things. Power going up the mountains? No contest. Safety going down the mountain? No contest. The diesel is just SO much better, but mileage? Not so much.
Well 8 mpg compared to 11.2 is about a 40% improvement. Stop and think about it, the difference between 8.0 and 11.2 is 3.2 almost half of 8!
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:38 AM   #31
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 6,397
The difference in a year with driving 15,000 miles per year is about $2100. Almost nothing when compared to a truck note over who knows how many years. I would stick with the eight.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:20 PM   #32
Gamma
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 59
I average 12-13 pulling my 5ver with 6.7 powerstroke. Diesel makes so much sense, super high torque, great compression braking going down hills, speed does not have much effect on mpg numbers and the whole drivetrain is way more heavy duty than the gas ones to handle the high torque. The torque is more than double what the big gas engines have. If you’re towing a lot, go diesel.
__________________
2021 Alpine 3220RL
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
Sinister and Banks found under the hood.
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.