Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2024, 09:03 AM   #1
Danthe

Opening at bottom of screen door

Hi, Just took delivery Wednesday of a new 2023 Cougar 29RLI FW. We notice a large gap at the bottom of the screen door that will let not only mosquitos but also mice. Id there any ajustment on the bottom sweep mecanism or should I go back to the dealer.

Thanks

DanThe
Danthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

Mine have always had a brush-like attachment at the bottom of the door that acts as a sweep. Never had any concerns of unwanted guests crawling in. Does yours have anything like that?

This is a picture of our 2019 Passport where I added the fold-in steps and removed the bottom door piston. New campers don't use that piston much anymore and have the friction hinge door instead. Before or after the step install, we never had an issue with bugs or mice trying to get in. Our new Cougar is the same, no gap and a good hearty brush "seal" at the bottom when the screen door is closed and the main door is open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	47175  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 09:33 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Canít say Iíve ever seen a screen door on an RV that doesnít ďsealĒ at all 4 edges. Iím thinking your door should, so I would question the seller.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:47 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This photo is of a 2024 Cougar 29RLI. Notice that there is a "steel plate" that folds in and then folds out, changing the height of the door entrance, depending on whether the steps are stowed or deployed. There is a "black brush sweep" on the bottom of the screen door to prevent insects from entering the trailer easily. The sweep will likely not prevent a "determined mouse, snake or even a chipmunk from getting into the trailer when the entry door is open. When the entry door is closed, the exterior door has gaskets that seal the entire opening against cold, rain, wind and most "critters".... I say "most critters" because you'll NEVER (ever) completley prevent a determined rodent from getting into the trailer. If they can't get in through the entry door, they'll get in through the multiple holes, cracks, crevices or closed seals that can be pushed open (think like around your slides)....

So, yes, there's supposed to be a black "brush sweep" along the bottom of the entry screen door, but no, there is no "metal to metal closure" on the door because of the fold out stairs.

On my trailer, there's a "gas piston door stop" mounted in that same space and I have a sweep (same as your trailer should have) that essentially closes off the bottom of the screen door where the gas piston opens/closes. It's never been a problem with insects and we've never seen a mouse peeking through the brush sweep, even though we set up camping in some extremely mouse infested locations.....

Here's the photo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	COUGAR SCREEN DOOR SWEEP.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	47176  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:05 AM   #5
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Canít say Iíve ever seen a screen door on an RV that doesnít ďsealĒ at all 4 edges. Iím thinking your door should, so I would question the seller.
I have never seen a entry door that did not seal completely at all four edges.

The screen door? That's a quite different matter, I think. I also think it is probably a problem more than might be imagined. See the pics of my screen door (top and bottom). Notice the light shining thru the top right corner and both bottom corners? The bottom gaps aren't too bad but the top one is almost 1/4" in width. Screen door came fitted like that from the factory. I just chalked it up to typical poor workmanship, poor quality control. We just spray the entire screen door with bug repellent once an evening and don't have "much" of a problem. We also carry two --- 2 --- fly swatters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	47177  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 07:26 AM   #6
Raptor Dave

https://www.insectshield.com/blogs/b...he%20outdoors.

Problem solved..........

Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 10:16 AM   #7
Danthe

Thanks everyone for your input. I will post a picture soon...the gap is large enough for a mice...and we have some around. I do have a few ideas how to solve the issue...just have to find a black plastic filler the same height as the step hinge.
Old 06-08-2024, 10:52 AM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthe View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I will post a picture soon...the gap is large enough for a mice...and we have some around. I do have a few ideas how to solve the issue...just have to find a black plastic filler the same height as the step hinge.
Whatever you do, just make it temporary, your unit is still under warranty. Call Keystone, get the warranty ball rolling....
Go to your dealer, get the warranty ball rolling...
This shouldn't be your problem if the door doesn't fit correctly or a section is missing!!!!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 05:58 AM   #9
Danthe

Yes good point I will consult with dealers before attempting any fix.

danthe
Old 06-09-2024, 06:48 AM   #10
Danthe

Here is a photo og gap at bottom of the door. Ajustment is good to clear step hinge but the gaps are at each extremities.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240607_153731.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	47183  
Old 06-09-2024, 01:12 PM   #11
GlasNav

Are you certain that the stair threshold bracket is flush with the door frame threshold?
There shouldn't be any gap between the stair bracket and frame threshold, this is adjustable by the leg extensions on the bottom of each stair stringer plate.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 02:51 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I've never noticed gaps under my screen doors...but I've never paid attention. Your picture piqued my interest so drove out to the barn to look at my door. My screen has the brush at the bottom, rides up over the stair threshold and I have zero light on either end. Looking back at your pics from what I can tell it seems as though the door is mounted too high, door is too short or the brush sweep was installed too high on the screen. I doubt the first two are the culprit so look at that sweep and see what it looks like, how much screen door has been left under/below that strip. I'm thinking I would have the dealer fix that if you have the time. On the other hand I doubt it's of any concern other than it shouldn't be there IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 03:09 PM   #13
LHaven

When I saw the photo, my first thought was that somebody leveled the trailer with the stairs down and stressed the screen door.

Tags
screen, screen door