Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
hbdawg

Winegard for Cougar 23MLE

I bought a winegard gateway. On Youtube one video has the on/off switch preinstalled in a Keystone Hideout. I can't find one already installed in the Cougar. Am I missing something or do I have to install the one in the box myself? If so any ideas where to put it?
hbdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:55 AM   #2
RollaMo

Just getting around to installing one in my 24RDS.

There is no switch factory installed, so will use the one that came with the gateway.

I watched this video, where the guy just installed the switch to the gateway shell.
I am going to do the switch the same way on mine.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:08 AM   #3
hbdawg

I saw the video and decided it would be a pain to have to use a step ladder to turn it on and off if the switch were in the shell. There is another video that states that the switch is not needed if the camper has a solar trickle charger. I am going to go that route instead. I don't know why if Keystone is putting Winegard in all its campers it does not install the switch too. Thanks.
hbdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 04:36 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

All they provide you is a loop of powered wire at the inside cover plate. You cannot install a switch in an inaccessible location due to it being a fire hazard. I don’t see this as a Keystone issue as opposed to a Winegard issue. Why doesn’t Winegard install a simple switch on their gateway?

Not everyone (very few actually) go through the trouble of installing the gateway due to upfront cost of the hardware and high monthly cost of the data plan with the end result being only a marginal performance “improvement” (if that). There are much better choices out there that cost less and perform better. So they leave it up to you whether you install a switch or not. Again, Winegard should have an on/off switch on their gateway for those who choose to go that route.

Some folks have had good experiences with the system, some have not. Ultimately it depends on what you want/need it for, and how much you are willing to pay.

I am still 10+ years away from retirement age, and have a child in elementary school, so although I can work anywhere in North America, we are limited in our time on the road, so instead of the gateway, I bought two cables that connect to the cellular antenna leads at the ceiling plate and snaked them down into my TV cabinet and plugged them into the Verizon MiFI Jetpack that I already have. No extra hardware, no additional monthly cost, and the Jetpack acts as a router that up to 15 devices can connect to. It works for us, and lets me work from the road all summer, which allows us to reach new destinations we would not otherwise be able to get to.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 04:37 AM   #5
jxnbbl

I've had the gateway and now have a wifiranger (when winegard bought them). The first did not come with the switch, the second did. I did install it. The problem that I have is that if I don't turn it off while traveling our cell phones will have problems and then I have to remember that I didn't turn it off, the cell phone attached to the wifi so I have to turn off wifi on the phones to force it to cellular.

The other thing is that on our second trailer the "prewiring cap" (covering the hole they drilled) was not in the correct location and there were "no antenna wires). So I had to drill a new hole (under the roof antenna) fish out the wiring and mounted the gateway there. Then I then use the existing "prewire hole" to mount the switch to the power for the unit.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #6
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
All they provide you is a loop of powered wire at the inside cover plate. You cannot install a switch in an inaccessible location due to it being a fire hazard. I donít see this as a Keystone issue as opposed to a Winegard issue. Why doesnít Winegard install a simple switch on their gateway?

Not everyone (very few actually) go through the trouble of installing the gateway due to upfront cost of the hardware and high monthly cost of the data plan with the end result being only a marginal performance ďimprovementĒ (if that). There are much better choices out there that cost less and perform better. So they leave it up to you whether you install a switch or not. Again, Winegard should have an on/off switch on their gateway for those who choose to go that route.

Some folks have had good experiences with the system, some have not. Ultimately it depends on what you want/need it for, and how much you are willing to pay.

I am still 10+ years away from retirement age, and have a child in elementary school, so although I can work anywhere in North America, we are limited in our time on the road, so instead of the gateway, I bought two cables that connect to the cellular antenna leads at the ceiling plate and snaked them down into my TV cabinet and plugged them into the Verizon MiFI Jetpack that I already have. No extra hardware, no additional monthly cost, and the Jetpack acts as a router that up to 15 devices can connect to. It works for us, and lets me work from the road all summer, which allows us to reach new destinations we would not otherwise be able to get to.

I took it another step and also mounted a wifi repeater on my home made box. the black box has a usb charging port on it (plugs into my hotspot), and also a step up module to provide POE (power or ethernet) to the repeater. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2458.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	47155  
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar