Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
Raptor Dave

Editing threads....

Just curious how long do I have to edit a thread once it is posted?

Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:02 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As far as I know, until the sky falls.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a problem in 2022 with new members (from overseas) joining the forum, making a post, then after the post was reviewed by the moderators, the new member would go back and edit the post by inserting SPAM links. At that time, there was no time limit on how long a member has before no longer being able to edit their posts. As Chuck said, 'Till the sky falls"... We tried a 10 day limit and that didn't stop the SPAM edits by new members, so we changed that to either 12 or 24 hours. I can't remember which and don't have access to that part of the forum software. When Janet logs on, maybe she can give a specific time before the posts lock.

The reason for that feature is to prevent SPAM. Currently, on most of the RV Life forums, the time frame is set to 30 minutes. We've tried to monitor this forum closely enough to give members a longer time frame to make changes to their posts... The problem is that v-Bulletin, the software that supports all of these forums does not have a feature that "notifies moderators when an edit occurs" So, theoretically, a member could make a post, wait until the "newness wears off and discussion sort of dies away" then go back and edit posts to add nearly anything from profanity to nudity to SPAM to all sorts of legal and illegal changes....

So, we do try to monitor for that sort of thing and the "time limit for members to edit posts" is a part of that function....

Are you having problems with editing? or are you just wanting to know why it's not an "endless feature" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:27 PM   #4
Raptor Dave

Appreciate it....was just curious because I noticed on a couple of my older posts that the EDIT button was now missing.
Not that I wanted to pull a brett farve or anything.
Was just curious and appreciate the insight.

Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 03:14 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Thank you John.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 03:41 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post
Appreciate it....was just curious because I noticed on a couple of my older posts that the EDIT button was now missing.
Not that I wanted to pull a brett farve or anything.
Was just curious and appreciate the insight.
If you ever get into a situation where you "absolutely have to edit a post" just contact one of the moderators. While we can't turn on the edit button, we can make the "cut and paste edit" *YOU provide the words and a sample of what you want the post to say) and if it's not too complex, we can do it for you... That's not to say we "will fix your spelling errors you noticed after a year or two and want them fixed" but something that's of major importance, we'll try to accommodate your edits...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote