Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
jqp_ptc

Warranty work / recall work @ non-selling dealer?

Hi,

I bought my Keystone Bullet in Texas, but live in Georgia. I got a recall notice for the roof the other day. When I called the nearest Keystone dealer, they told me since they didn't sell me the trailer, they wouldn't pre-order the parts and they couldn't get to me until the end of February and to call back then.

1.) Is this normal... getting the cold shoulder from a dealer that didn't sell you the unit? I live here. I have no other option, and I'm looking for a dealer for my service. After this reception, I may keep looking.

2.) How long does Keystone give you to get the recall repair done before they deny fixing any damage that may occur in the meantime?

Thanks for any info.
jqp_ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
zuley

Who may I ask were you speaking to at the dealer who refused you service? I have worked in the parts department of an automotive dealership for the past 30 years. I have witnessed sales staff telling potential new car customers we will not service or repair under warranty any vehicle we do not sell. This is total BS!! Speak to the Service Manager. For the most part he does not give a rats *** where the unit was purchased. His primary concern is keeping his mechanical shop full and all of his mechanics busy. I can not imagine a service manager turning away work
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
jqp_ptc

Funny you should ask. I got the message from a secretary, so I called back for clarification. The service manager himself then told me the exact same thing. He said he wouldn't order the parts or even schedule me in until they were less busy. He said he didn't want to get "stuck with the parts."

I'd happily move on, but the next closest Keystone dealer is an hour away, and it's a Camping World, which I haven't heard great things about.

I'm thinking if you're so busy you have to turn customers away, it's time to hire some more folks.....
jqp_ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Outbackmel

jqp roof repair

Hey, I bought a 2011 Outback 5er at the rally show in Louisville 2 years ago. We had it towed to RRanch in Dahlonega since we had no truck to pull it with. Once I got the truck, found a few items needing repair. (I live in Dacula, GA).

Took the RV to "RV World of Georgia" Buford, GA just 5 miles from home. They helped me under warranty just by placing a call to Keystone. You are NOT that far away, like 50 miles. I would definitely give their service department a call. Here is their number: 877.945.2112

Other options (less desirable) Camping World in Macon or further north in Oakwood, GA ... you can find their number by using Google.

Hope one of these works. RV World is a QUALITY business and is NO mom and pop shop.

Send me a PM after you try to connect ( if you go that route) and let me know how it works out for you.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
camper 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqp_ptc View Post
Funny you should ask. I got the message from a secretary, so I called back for clarification. The service manager himself then told me the exact same thing. He said he wouldn't order the parts or even schedule me in until they were less busy. He said he didn't want to get "stuck with the parts."

I'd happily move on, but the next closest Keystone dealer is an hour away, and it's a Camping World, which I haven't heard great things about.

I'm thinking if you're so busy you have to turn customers away, it's time to hire some more folks.....
I purchased my 2010 Keystone trailer in MI. I live in Alabama and had no trouble getting warranty work done at the CW here. I had two repairs under warranty and had to wait only a week to get in the shop.

At any dealer the shop must show a profit the same as sales or store.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Bob Landry

I would look for another shop for this and ALL of my future RV needs. I had some warranty work done on my Outback from a dealer that didn't sell me the trailer with no issues at all. Money is money, and I can't imagine a service shop willing to leave money on the table. Once your warranty expires, he'll probably see it differently since he can rip you for the full shop rate and MSRP on parts. I would have a talk with the GM also, just so he would know how much money he was going to lose not only from me, but all of the other potential customers that I was going to turn away from his door. Be sure to graciously tell him to have a nice day on your way out.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
KanTC

Unless something has changed within the RV industry in recent months, most RV manufacturers do not 'require'
dealerships to provide service on unit that they didn't sell. Not the same as the auto industry.

Here's one previous discussion http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7828

Some forum members have had good results with non-selling dealers, many others have not.

I (personally) don't know that there's a time-frame on warranty work, but I'd think once you've been
'notified' it would be best to get it done ASAP... especially if it's an issue that could cause further
damage to the RV. Sounds like the dealer suggested by Outbackmel is a good place to start

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqp_ptc View Post
Hi,

I bought my Keystone Bullet in Texas, but live in Georgia. I got a recall notice for the roof the other day. When I called the nearest Keystone dealer, they told me since they didn't sell me the trailer, they wouldn't pre-order the parts and they couldn't get to me until the end of February and to call back then.

1.) Is this normal... getting the cold shoulder from a dealer that didn't sell you the unit? I live here. I have no other option, and I'm looking for a dealer for my service. After this reception, I may keep looking.

Thanks for any info.
Our nearest Keystone dealer told us a few years ago, that if we were to buy a Cougar elsewhere, and then needed service, warranty or not, they would take our camper in and place it at the end of the wainting line. Then after that, any camper purchased from them that came in at a later date, would be moved ahead of us in the line! One could imagine the possibilities of how long it could take to get a repair done for us.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
fla-gypsy

It is not uncommon and you do not want to do business with them. You can call Keystone direct and they will recommend a dealer or just call around and find one that wants some future business.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #10
richf28

I was looking to upgrade to a newer and larger camper last summer at a dealer in Ohio. Things were going along fine until he made mention during conversation that he has and will continue to refuse keystone customers on repairs and warranty work. He said he tells them to go back where you bought it. I stopped the deal dead on. That showed me the kind of person he was and made me concerned how I would actually be treated if I did need work done.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Laredo60

Smile

I was told by my local keystone dealer that does not sell the brand I bought, that not only will he work on my unit. But he gets paid more from keystone to do the warranty work. I went and spoke to him before I purchased my unit from a dealer that is in the next state away from me. I have not had any work done on the unit yet, but I have had work done there before on other units that I have owned. I guess time will tell.
Laredo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
35mastr

So far my dealer has been excellent. Took it back for a binding entry door ( Which they swapped out for a new one including the screen door),Front storage lock,Leaking grey water valve. Called me and said everything was done in like 3 days.
I told him that I could not pick it up for a couple weeks. He said no problem. Get a call from him about a week later,Letting me know that there is a Recall on the outside back wall and if I was interested in having it swapped out while it was there. I agreed. It was done in 2 days. I normally would not take it back unless it needs expensive hard parts. Because I dont like other people working on my stuff. I normally just do all the repairs myself and just buy better parts when needed.
The Sevice Manager knows me by name when I call and takes care of my rig in a very quick time frame.
I did buy the unit from there.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
It is not uncommon and you do not want to do business with them. You can call Keystone direct and they will recommend a dealer or just call around and find one that wants some future business.
That's what I figured. The bad thing about that, is that the only other Keystone dealer that I know of is at least a 3 hour one way drive to Albuqurque. The dealership we purchased from is an 8 hour one way drive in Denver. The local stealership 30 min away in Durango wouldn't even try to put together a deal for us, thus why we purchased in Denver.

Our Cougar is suffering what I have seen elsewhere on this forum to be a common ailment, fading of the paint on the front-end cap. After 2-3 weeks of Keystone not answering my email seeing if they were going to fix it, I finally called them. I was told that I would have to take it to a dealership, and have them summit a warranty claim first. Cursed, because I'll be darned if I am going to tow her 3-8 hours just to have the claim denied. If they would have quaranteed that the work would be done, then that would be a different story.

So for now, I guess we will just have to live with it. It is just cosmetic.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
35mastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
That's what I figured. The bad thing about that, is that the only other Keystone dealer that I know of is at least a 3 hour one way drive to Albuqurque. The dealership we purchased from is an 8 hour one way drive in Denver. The local stealership 30 min away in Durango wouldn't even try to put together a deal for us, thus why we purchased in Denver.

Our Cougar is suffering what I have seen elsewhere on this forum to be a common ailment, fading of the paint on the front-end cap. After 2-3 weeks of Keystone not answering my email seeing if they were going to fix it, I finally called them. I was told that I would have to take it to a dealership, and have them summit a warranty claim first. Cursed, because I'll be darned if I am going to tow her 3-8 hours just to have the claim denied. If they would have quaranteed that the work would be done, then that would be a different story.

So for now, I guess we will just have to live with it. It is just cosmetic.
If its still under warrenty,Take it to a dealer that you either bought it from or one that you can deal with. The warrenty can expire on there lot. Better than in your driveway. That way it will get repaired.
[B]Honda 3000IS
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mastr View Post
If its still under warrenty,Take it to a dealer that you either bought it from or one that you can deal with. The warrenty can expire on there lot. Better than in your driveway. That way it will get repaired.
Okay, a question for you. Our warranty doesn't expire until Columbus Day in October. We don't want to take it there now and have it sit all through summer vactions. Should we wait until summer is over to take it in? I suppose that during this time, the paint could concievably fade more due to exposure, but they are going to have to sand it down anyway to re-paint.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
Okay, a question for you. Our warranty doesn't expire until Columbus Day in October. We don't want to take it there now and have it sit all through summer vactions. Should we wait until summer is over to take it in? I suppose that during this time, the paint could concievably fade more due to exposure, but they are going to have to sand it down anyway to re-paint.
I would take it in, have them do the paperwork during the winter, then you'll have the approval (hopefully) to repair it when summer's over. If you wait, the dealer gets busy, or worse yet, closes his doors, then there's nothing at Keystone to even indicate that you had started a claim. Just call, or better yet, go to the dealer's service department, explain what you want to do and see how they recommend you go about it. Trying to second guess what Keystone will do is like "wishing and throwing a penny in the fountain" better to go to the store and see how much your "wish" really costs and start planning on how to accomplish it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would take it in, have them do the paperwork during the winter, then you'll have the approval (hopefully) to repair it when summer's over. If you wait, the dealer gets busy, or worse yet, closes his doors, then there's nothing at Keystone to even indicate that you had started a claim. Just call, or better yet, go to the dealer's service department, explain what you want to do and see how they recommend you go about it. Trying to second guess what Keystone will do is like "wishing and throwing a penny in the fountain" better to go to the store and see how much your "wish" really costs and start planning on how to accomplish it.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
SteveC7010

A couple of thoughts...

First, please share the name of the dealership that is giving you such a hard time. I won't hesitate to place them on my naughty list and I suspect others might, too.

Second, tell Keystone about the shabby treatment. They might intercede on your behalf (it's happened before.) And they'll have a record of your dissatisfaction with this dealer.

Third, as several others have suggested, find a dealer that will treat you like a valued customer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
35mastr

I would do it now that it is winter. Unless you are going to use it soon. That way when summer comes it will be done.
[B]Honda 3000IS
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
x96mnn

Had this happen to me. Warranty work often is a loss to dealers so I can understand them being particular. Also if I spent my money at the dealer and I knew my camper was waiting to be fixed because someone else who bought out of town was getting serviced it may bother me.

My only action came when I upgraded recently I did buy local and it was not from them.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote