Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
fzsilverado

New Tires Needed for 2011 Chev HD P/U

Good afternoon,

it's time for new tires on my 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and I have been looking around at tires. My truck came with Goodyear Wrangler 265/60R20 and has done the job so far. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a better tire. More or less, every other tire I have looked at weights more than OEM tire does.

Tire/Size Max Load Max Inflation Tread Depth Tire Weight
GY Wrangler 3195lbs 80psi 16/32 51lbs
BF T/A KO 3860lbs 80psi 15/32 63lbs
Mich LTX A/T 2 3750lbs 80psi 15.6/32 61lbs
Nitto Terra 3750lbs 80psi 15.6/32 ?????

Has anyone had any experience with these tires outside of the GY Wrangler? My other question is does the weight of the tires on the Tow vehicle have to factor into tow capacity? All the help and advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
davidjsimons

I run the Michelin in question. I've had outstanding service from that tire and routinely get over 60,000 miles per run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If you have read any of my posts on tires you will know that I am a Michelin man. (Some may even say I look similar to him.) From my own experience with them I would say they are probably the best preforming tire in the rain, reasonably quite and very long lasting.

As for your other question about weight ... Yes and No .... They will increase total scale weight but being "Unsprung weight" they will have no effect on towing capacities since the added weight is only on the ground and not on any other suspension parts. This is one of the hick-ups in the formula to determine payload but if tire capacities was your weak point you will gain some safety margin. Stepping off the soap box now .... Hope I was of some help, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I wouldn't be concerned about any additional tire weight when factoring in the towing capacity.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
davidjsimons

The tire weight would really only matter if you were trying to see how quickly you could get up to running speed, being what we called rolling weight in the racing world. But I don't really think that we are too concerned about that in this situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
fzsilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you have read any of my posts on tires you will know that I am a Michelin man. (Some may even say I look similar to him.) From my own experience with them I would say they are probably the best preforming tire in the rain, reasonably quite and very long lasting.

As for your other question about weight ... Yes and No .... They will increase total scale weight but being "Unsprung weight" they will have no effect on towing capacities since the added weight is only on the ground and not on any other suspension parts. This is one of the hick-ups in the formula to determine payload but if tire capacities was your weak point you will gain some safety margin. Stepping off the soap box now .... Hope I was of some help, Hank
I thought the same thing of just more weight to the ground but just want some other thoughts. I can use all the help i can get on the additional payload weight, my wife never seems to can get enough items in the bedroom (clothes, blankets, shoes etc...), as it sits over the bed of the truck. How comfortable of a ride would you say they are, the Michelin tires.

Side note: I just put some Michelin tires on my wife's Tahoe and she seems to love how the feel, ride and less road noise.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzsilverado View Post
Good afternoon,

it's time for new tires on my 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and I have been looking around at tires. My truck came with Goodyear Wrangler 265/60R20 and has done the job so far. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a better tire. More or less, every other tire I have looked at weights more than OEM tire does.

Tire/Size Max Load Max Inflation Tread Depth Tire Weight
GY Wrangler 3195lbs 80psi 16/32 51lbs
BF T/A KO 3860lbs 80psi 15/32 63lbs
Mich LTX A/T 2 3750lbs 80psi 15.6/32 61lbs
Nitto Terra 3750lbs 80psi 15.6/32 ?????

Has anyone had any experience with these tires outside of the GY Wrangler? My other question is does the weight of the tires on the Tow vehicle have to factor into tow capacity? All the help and advice would be helpful and appreciated.
I have run the Mich tires before, great tires with a great price.
I looked at the Nitto terra grapper, last go round just too aggresive of thread pattern for me.
I ended up with Toyo m/s E rated tire. It has been a great tire too. Keep them rotated and I am working around 45K+ on them right now. might be more miles just going by the mileage I think I had them installed.
Mich were going to cost me around $1000. I got the Toyo for $800.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

I too run the michelin tires. they wear very well are super in the rain and for us up north are even good in the snow! as for the weight... well if your building a race car more unsprung weight is bad. but your towing a camper the more plys better rubber and cord weigh more! they may cost more but they last longer(if you take care of them) only one drwback $$$$
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Tinbender

I recently replaced the Good Year Wranglers on my Sierra 1500 with the Michelin load range E (10 ply) and was amazed at how quiet and comfortable the ride is when running empty, just a camper shell, with the rears at 80 lbs and the front at 65 lbs. I have only pulled the trailer once with the new tires on but it sure improved the handling over the OEM Wranglers.
Good luck with your selection.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Jim W

All of my replacement tires have been Michelins tires for all of my vehicles even my trailer (XPS Ribs). I will run nothing but Michelin tires since they seem to provide the best tire life and mileage for my needs. This has been since my 1969 VW Beetle when the Beetle needed tires in 1971 and I have never changed from them.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
michael

I use many differant tires in my line of work, the best ive found for quiet that is lack of road noise when traveling, traction, and durrability, Is a pricey set of MICHELIN's.

My vehicals came with differant brands,
when i purchase the next set on my personel vehicals they will get MICHELIN's,

My experiance with tire's, Commercial snow plowing, medium size local dump trucking company.

On my commercial trucks i use whats on sale except for tread design,
That i require for on and off road use, For instance if i wer to buy a Michelin tire for the front of my truck thats about $1000 for one tire, I can buy a Goodyear or other brand for about $800,
When we drive off road we have a high chance of running over a sharp object,
I have used Michelins on my big trucks but when the tires life is about 3 to 4 months lets say i wont get the milage use out of the tire so i opt for the less expensive.

I have made it over 2 years with diferant brands of tires on the front of my trucks and again for tread wear MICHELIN's were the best. Hope this helps.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Bigsky3625

I have been running the Michelin ltx series since 1998 and will not put anything else on our truck. For that matter, I run them on the wife's Outback as well. I too have got great milage from them. Usually around 70k miles.
That might change a little with the new 5er.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote