Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Brantlaker

Bedroom Slide

My wife just informed me that the bed has pulled away from the slide bulkhead.Will check with my selling dealer about what to do.Have read some of the threads on this subject. Will keep everyone informed as I go.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Fuzion Guy

Bedroom Slide

First time on this site. where are the other posts in this thread that you mentioned. - the bed stopped moving on my 2008 Fuzion, in july because the three screws holding it to the slide didn't attach to anything solid. I'm betting this is a common problem
Fuzion Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
DJ85

Click on the search button at the top and type in BED PULLING AWAY FROM SLIDEOUT scoll to the post that titled bed pulling away from slide there are about 15 posts that will decribe what you need to do to fix the problem some members even posted pictures. Good Luck it worked for me!

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
My wife just informed me that the bed has pulled away from the slide bulkhead.Will check with my selling dealer about what to do.Have read some of the threads on this subject. Will keep everyone informed as I go.
Yes, this is a problem. On our Alpine, the bed was held on the slide by 8 standard, square drive, #6 - 3" long screws - four on each side. On each side, two were sheared off and the other two were pulled out. Only gravity held the bed on the slide. The bed is an integral part of the slide mechanism - it applies the force to the slide wall to cause it to deploy vertically. Without the bed attached, the slide will deploy at the bottom while the top of the slide remains against the RV wall.

If you have a hinged bed platform (for storage access), you need to "screw down" the lift portion of the bed platform after you wrestle the mattress off the platform. Once this movable part is locked down, remove the screws that attach the top part of the bed platform to the frame. There you will find these "attachment points", or shall I say, failed attachment points. I used a metal strap to attach the bed frame directly to the hydralic piston drive shaft, plus two metal straps per side to attach the slide frame to the bed frame. Once finished, the slide and bed worked beautifully together and will serve the next owner well!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Brantlaker

Bed Sides

I spoke the service manager at Alpin Haus RV in Saratoga,NY and was told that it is a known problem. He has a repair approved by Keystone that he does and he offered to give me the name of one keystone owners that had the repair. The only problem I have now is the RV is in South Carolina I will drop it off on the return trip in March. To me it seems that the caster wheels start to bind in the rug when in the in position. I also have found out that other than bedding nothing should be stored on the bed for any period of time when the slid is in.I plan on putting metal of some kind as a track for the wheels to roll onto keep them off the carpet.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
DJ85

I found that the wood 2x2 that the caster wheels are screwed into is very soft wood and if you put a lot of weight on that end of the bed it buckles the wheels so if you do anything upgrade that area to handle the load. I would reinforce and add additional casters. That's just my opinion I am sure others will differ

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Avofarmer66

DR Slide

More or larger casters will lessen the load on a small caster and stop the drag that causes the seperation on the bulkhead.

Or lessen the weight
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
rudythegreat

Under community, look at the 318 owners, there you can view rudythegreat's fix.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
byrdr1

the post was titled "bed pulling away from slide." pictures are now gone due to the site "webshots" shutting down. BUT it is an easy fix. I did to mine. I still have pictures just not online anymore.
if you need to see any let me know I can send them to you once I get home. I usually have a flash drive with all that stuff on it, but not today.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote