Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
nagy102

Fuzion Toy Hauler Sway Issue

We recently purchased a 301 Fuzion - having a major sway issue with this - wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.
nagy102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Vidorcom

I have a fz 300 with Reese Dual Cam and still get a good amount of sway
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
nagy102

WE have the same hitch equipment -towing with 07 Dodge 2500. With the motorcycle & golf cart in garage it is all over the road.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
rnkburg

I saw a post on here somewhere about weight in certain areas helping. Search Raptor 30 fs toy hauler .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
conroys cougar

we just traded off a 2012 Cruiser 29RLS in on our 24 RLS Cougar for the same sway trouble !!
conroys cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Can't comment if a 5er, but if tow trailer, check your ACTUAL fully loaded weight, AND your ACTUAL tongue weight. Bet your tongue is WAY TOO LIGHT. You need 13 to 15% of the fully loaded TT weight on the tongue. TT level or slightly nose low.

If all that is right, then IMO it is a misadjusted WDH.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagy102 View Post
We recently purchased a 301 Fuzion - having a major sway issue with this - wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.
First, is this a fiver or a TT? If it's a TT, what are you using for a weight distributing hitch system and sway control?

Much as we can all offer ideas and suggestions, until you tell us what you have and how you are using it, anything we might say is pure speculation.

It would also be useful to know what you are using for a tow vehicle.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
rnkburg

Looks like its a travel trailer

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301 Travel Trailer Manufacturer Specs:
Shipping Weight Lbs - 9150
Carrying Capacity (lbs) - 3850
Hitch (lbs) - 1380
Length - 34' 8''
Height - 12' 2''
Fresh Water (gal) - 106
Waste Water (gal) - 32
Grey Water (gal) - 32
Lpg (gal) - 60
Tire Size - ST235/80R16E

I was looking at the Fuzion 300 before my purchase of the Raptor (fuzion 300 has one slide, fuzion 301 has two) and one of the main reasons I went with the raptor 300mp was stepping up to the 5'er option was my concern with sway.

There is a thread about a raptor 30fs travel trailer on here that talks about all kinds of sway issues (same trailer as the fusion 300, just the raptor version) They talked of adding water tanks in the front, etc. Said was fine empty, but when toys loaded up, horrible.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
SteveC7010

rknburg, Thanks for looking up some of the details about the trailer.

There is only one possible answer, presuming that the OP has a reasonably capable TV:

Hensley Arrow

or it's clone. Not even a well set up Reese DC is going to tame a behemoth like that.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
rknburg, Thanks for looking up some of the details about the trailer.

There is only one possible answer, presuming that the OP has a reasonably capable TV:

Hensley Arrow

or it's clone. Not even a well set up Reese DC is going to tame a behemoth like that.

When I get a minute tonight I will search for that Raptor forum. Only reason that I brought that up is because Keystone admitted to a problem, and added a second water tank to help with the issue.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
nagy102

Thanks for all the input - I am new at this so forgive me if I do not know all of the slang. the 301 is a tow behind - Keystone actually has recommended the Hensley hitch set up. We have had this unit & the tow vehicle weighed several times & several different ways - we are not overweight. It is discouraging to buy a new unit & have this trouble but apparently we are not alone in this. Had an 28' outback before this with no sway problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
mrxlh

If it is swaying, you are not overweight, you are under weight on the hitch.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
scronin1

I am the one that originally posted swaying problems with the equivalent Raptor 30FS - Its not the hitch you are using!!! Its the weight distrabution of the trailer. The manufacturer finally agreed after a long battle to put a additional 56 gallon water tank up front - This helped but did not totally resolve the problem - I added 8 additional sandbags under the front of the bed - The trailer finally pulls great when the garage is loaded. now take the weight out when hauling empty or you will have a bouncy ride. Have Fun!!!
BE VERY CAREFULL UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS RESOLVED, LOSING CONTROL OF TRUCK AND TRAILER IS A REALITY!!! IF it happens have a quick hand on the brake controller and hold on!!!
scronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
scronin1

Manufacturer reccomends hensley hitch - This is a poor solution to give that can potentially cause a major problem. If you have to little hitch weight you have too little hitch weight, meaning not enough weight on the truck, the hensley may help to a extent but if the trailer gets a good side wind you will not have enough weight of the truck to stop it from pushing the truck therefore you loose control, tires skidding the whole nine yards!!! have your toung weight checked then determine your solution. The trailer should not sway back and forth, I wish the manufacturer would reslove the problem instead of blaming other factors like the hitch!!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I just did a 75 mile tow with nothing in the garage and about 3/4 tank of water and other then being hitch heavy my 30 FS towed fine. I did dump the water for the return trip towed much better....still hitch heavy but not as bad as the trip out.

Need to look at your tongue weight empty and loaded. I just can't believe that having to add 500 pounds to the front was a good solution. This does not leave you much room for regular cargo.

Scronin1 maybe we should compare notes on axle measurements and weights. Reading your other post almost had me in a panic over my purchase but thank goodness I have found the total opposite. I would never care to tow this trailer very far empty as the balance made the ride a little harder then I care for, but here in Alaska the frost heaves are killer.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
scronin1

Im currently out of town, when I return I will post my empty and loaded weights. I cant argue with your findings only state my personal expierneces and state that I had a engineer look at the trailer and provide drawings on the weight distrabution of the trailer to determine it was designed with too little hitch weight when the gaurage was loaded.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by scronin1 View Post
Im currently out of town, when I return I will post my empty and loaded weights. I cant argue with your findings only state my personal expierneces and state that I had a engineer look at the trailer and provide drawings on the weight distrabution of the trailer to determine it was designed with too little hitch weight when the gaurage was loaded.
I know I am way hitch heavy with nothing in the garage. Guessing I am 1400 lbs plus with no water on board and nothing in the garage. Have a scale and will look here soon as we are pretty close to empty sitting here at the house.

15% of dry weight should be 1275 lbs. Adding 85 gallons of water to the front adds 663 lbs to the front half so it gonna be interesting to see what my tongue weight climbs to when I stack on the water. Now granted that water is off loaded during your trip but that is almost 25% of your rear cargo weight add forward of your axles.

I really want to figure it out for you and hope you get the same enjoyment that we are getting. It is something simple. Something being overlooked.

Your black water tank deal did they fix the last time or replace?
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Canadian Camper

Keystone fuzion 301 away issues here too

Hi guys. We picked up a 2013
Fuzion 301 travel trailer and are having
Major sway issues as well at speeds over 80 Km per hour whether it's loaded or unloaded. We have the Anderson weight distribution with built in anti sway. We are towing with a 2012 GMC 2500 dura ad crew cab short box. The truck and trailer are level. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Would a dually help? We are scared to take this trailer out!

Thanks.
Canadian Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
rnkburg

Maybe put a little tounge weight on it to see if it helps. Just a thought

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Before you do any adjustments, make sure the receiver, hitch and equalizer bars are properly rated for the weight you will be towing.

Then:

1. Weigh the trailer and separately weigh the tongue. Tongue weight should be 12 - 15% of the trailer weight. Add weight as needed to achieve at least 12% tongue weight Don't guess on success, reweigh as needed until you're certain you are within the parameters. Remember, an empty toyhauler may well have too much weight on the tongue.
2. Make sure the hitch height is correct
3. Adjust the equalizer bars for the proper front/rear tow vehicle height (proper weight distribution) See forum for details on exactly how to do this. It was recently discussed at length. Don't just "eyeball" level, actually measure and readjust to achieve within 1/4 inch if possible. No greater difference in front and rear squat than 1/2 inch. If your eyes are like mine, you can't see that kind of drop or rise in the front or rear of the TV "eyeballing" it. Measure on a hard flat surface like a parking lot or abandoned roadway/runway.
4. Make sure TV and trailer tires are properly inflated
5. Test tow and note any improvement. If you have factory break control and it has an "antisway" control or a "stability" control, try towing with those systems turned off as well as turned on. Note any difference in stability.

Report your success and hopefully it will be success

You may have to go to a Hensley hitch to achieve adequate sway elimination.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote