Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Desert Chicken

Angry 2011 345DBQ Montana Mountaineer

I purchased a Factory New 36 foot Mountaineer bunkhouse from General RV in Utah which shipped this unit from their Michigan store. I paid $50,000 for this RV had it 2 weeks and have had numerous issues with it. (1) The Living RM slide out leaked rain water through the cabinets soaking the curtains, drapes, entire carpeting, and walls. You could see the water running into the cabinets, I had to pull the slide out in to keep the water out. (2) Furnace was not connected to the ducting, it blew hot air into the kitchen cabinet only, could not heat the RV. (3) Fantastic Vent Fan would not open or close electrically only manually. (4) The Kitchen blind was missing the plastic open & closing rod (5) RV entrance screen door would not open and would bind up on the door latch. (6) Missing water nozzle & hose in storage/convenient area.
I called the Local Dealer and they told me to call the Factory customer service rep. I expressed concern that this RV was a lemon, that Keystone Quality and their Q/A & Q/C was not their. Spending this type of money their RV should not have this type of Issues, it was plain shotty workmanship. The Dealership misrepresented this RV, The Dealership and the Factory didn't want to hear about the issues. I got tossed from Rep to Rep. I Finally threatened to sue the Dealer and Keystone in either replacing this RV with another one or giving my money back. The Dealer finally came and picked up this unit and repaired everything in 4 days.
Note....Look at the Keystone Warrenty (It firmly states that if the RV is to be used as a permant residence it voids the warrenty) The Dealer and the Factory knew I was going to live in this full time, yet they will not tell you about the warrenty.
This is My Third RV, I have owned an Arctic Fox and had electrical problems of which the RV wiring caught fire and had water leaks, and another keystone product. I have been RV'ing full time for 6 years. In my opinion there is only one quality product, which is too expensive-Nuwa Hitchhiker.
Do your home work in purchasing an RV, it is buyer beware.
Desert Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Buyer beware applies to everything in life - not just RV's.

We bought our fiver with the intent of fulltiming in it about a year after we got it. It was after the warranty expired but if you are buying an RV for the sole purpose of fulltiming in it - it doesn't matter what YOU tell the dealer it matters what the WARRANTY tells you.

Some units are listed as fulltime type units and some are not - so in this case I think possibly Shopper beware is also applicable.

When we were looking we KNEW we couldn't afford something listed as a fulltime RV - we also were looking at the Hitchhiker brand - and we had to get what we could afford.

Was your unit fixed to your satisfaction? Hopefully it was.

I am so sorry for your troubles - truly sometimes there is no accounting for what is done inappropriately or inefficiently at a factory!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
The Sod Father

Quality control in the US RV industry will remain the same until something radical causes them to take note. If one of the "Big 3" (Thor, Forest River, Jayco) decides to step up their game and build a far superior product, then the others will follow if they want to continue to dominate in the market. Jayco is kinda on that track with the 2 year warranty.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The auto industry reached that "maturity" in the 90's. After Datsun and Toyota showed that average priced cars didn't have to spend a major part of their fisrt year in the repair shop, Americans turned to imports because of the price and the value. We almost "lost" the big three, but somehow they got the message and started producing much improved quality products. There is still a "stigma" with domestic vehicles, but current models are far superior to just 3 or 4 years ago.

When a "new concept" RV comes along and puts quality, economy and integrity into their product, we'll see the RV "big three" get their act together. Until then, they can shove whatever they want onto the dealer's lots and we have little choice but to either "take it or leave it" and we, because of lack of choice, usually "take it" and the RV "big three" make a profit.

I hope it changes soon !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
The Sod Father

Can I get an Amen??
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Ptesi

Sick about our 345dbq mountaneer

Let me just list the problems I have encountered with my 345 dbq Montana mountaineer. Front jack failure. Air conditioner wouldn't work. Front bed ripped the wire for the over the bed light three times!!! Awning rubbed, new awning not installed properly, remote and switches wouldn't work. Lots of plumbing leaks, too many to mention. Now it seems that the rear bunk slides pop open at the top as you go down the road my rv dealer says it cannot be fixed it is a design flaw. It going in and out also caused the bunk bed to rip out of the wall. Anybody have any suggestions to keep the rear slides from sliding in and out at the top? This has been the rv from hell. Don't buy a keystone product.
Ptesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptesi View Post
Let me just list the problems I have encountered with my 345 dbq Montana mountaineer. Front jack failure. Air conditioner wouldn't work. Front bed ripped the wire for the over the bed light three times!!! Awning rubbed, new awning not installed properly, remote and switches wouldn't work. Lots of plumbing leaks, too many to mention. Now it seems that the rear bunk slides pop open at the top as you go down the road my rv dealer says it cannot be fixed it is a design flaw. It going in and out also caused the bunk bed to rip out of the wall. Anybody have any suggestions to keep the rear slides from sliding in and out at the top? This has been th rv from he'll. Don't buy a keystone product.
My prior travel trailer came with bars that would prevent the slide from moving while in transit. You slide them between the top of the slide frame and the wall of the trailer when the slide is all the way in. It keeps it from moving out and should help your situation. You can get them at any RV dealer. Sorry to hear about your problems with your trailer.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Ptesi

Thanks

Thank you for your suggestion. I can't use the bars because the rear bunk house is not acceptable once you put the slides in. The door for the rear bedroom must be closed in order to put the slide in. Once in a person could not get out of the bunk house. It's a real problem!!! There simply wasn't any quality control on my unit. We live and learn the biggest rv company is not necessarily the best. Kestone sure isn't the best.
Ptesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Blackirish

hi, we bought our Bullet in May 2011 and second time out the top bunk crashed down onto the bunk below...thankfully no one was on it at the time. I have lost all trust in this model. Keystone has agreed to pay for the tent we purchased to accommodate us while it was being repaired (they did respond quickly to repairs and warrenty work that was needed). But bottom line I cant trust this bunk again and no way will I put my kids up there.
Blackirish is offline   Reply With Quote