Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Tbos

Outdoor stove?

I'm looking to add an outside stove that can use the existing low pressure propane line. I have a BBQ but are interested in having a stove too. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of different "camp stoves" that would work for you. Camp Chef is one brand that seems to be very durable and comes in models to fit almost any "storage space requirement". They have models ranging from a single burner table model all the way up to free standing triple burner models with grills, BBQ boxes and a large number of other accessories.

The "nice aspect" of Camp Chef stoves is that most (not all) of them come with an external hose/regulator assembly that can easily be adapted to your existing low pressure propane system simply by removing the supplied hose/regulator and installing a fitting onto the stove manifold that will connect to your current low pressure hose quick disconnect.

http://www.campchef.com/stoves.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
slow

John,

As an aside but related: Do all stoves with regulators, regulate down to the same pressure and that of the TTs low pressure line?

I reason I ask is that I tried converting my Coleman 2 burned stove to use the low pressure line on my trailer as you described (removed the stove's regulator and plumbed it to the low pressure line using a quick disconnect). But I could not get a flame greater than what I would have as a low flame control knob setting with the stove's regulator. Therefore I considered it a failed experiment and I continue to use the stove with its own regulator. My assumption being that the Coleman regulator regulates to a pressure something higher than the TT's propane is regulated to.

Any insights as to what I may have missed?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Slow,

Most "standardized" propane appliances use a specific pressure to operate. I believe that pressure is measured as 11"WC. That's about 0.35-0.4 PSI.

I am certainly not an expert on Coleman stoves and adapting them. I do know from past experience converting Coleman "white gas" stoves to propane, that there isn't a "regulator" per say, but just a small "pinhole" through which the "white gas" flows. When converting my stove, there wasn't a regulator, so I'd guess that there isn't a "industry standard" regulated pressure for Coleman equipment, rather a "Coleman standard" that probably isn't the same 11"WC. I would suppose that some (possibly many) propane appliances designed to use disposable 1 pound propane bottles have "custom regulators" or "pinhole orifices" to burn propane at pressures other than the "standard RV pressure".

I suggested Camp Chef as an "easy choice" because their LP regulator systems are directly "interchangeable" with quick disconnect hoses and will "operate properly" when connected to any "standard RV propane QD system". (I'm sure there are some "homemade" LP systems created by RV owners that don't come close to meeting "standard" criteria, but Camp Chef will work on "Standard" systems)...

With the Camp Chef system, there's no modification needed, you just remove the existing hose/regulator and install the QD hose and connect to your RV LP system. Here's the link to the LP QD hose that adapts Camp Chef stoves to RV systems and eliminates the "extra propane tank/regulator": http://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html

Also, you can buy the "same design" hose at most WalMart stores or buy the parts and build your own. Essentially, it's a 1:1 hose exchange, not an adaption from one system to another system as it would be with a Coleman.

Hopefully, some other member with more knowledge of Coleman and adapting them will offer a better explanation of what/why you were having issues.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
slow

Thanks John for the insights. I will need to have a look at the Camp Chef products.

BTW: the stove info tag and the hose assembly I assembled to connect to the low pressure line on the TT and to replace the coleman regulator are shown here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=736
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I have owned my Camp Chef 3 burner stove for about 7 years. Griddle that covers two burners that will cook just about anything. Third burner is covered by a BBQ box.

I carry a 3rd 7 gallon LP cylinder and use it for the stove. I can highly recommend their products, I even have the oven.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
gtsum2

3 burner camp chef stove here too. The griddle is fantastic. I have the bbq box also but it is only average at best. The griddle is the bomb though. These burners are strong enough to easily fry a turkey too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2015, 02:28 AM   #8
Tbos

Thanks for the inputs on the stove. I'll definitely check out the camp chef line. The easier it is to convert the better for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

With Camp Chef stoves, the regulator is on the "tank end" of the hose. So converting from high pressure to low pressure is as simple as removing the hose and installing the other one. There's nothing to modify on the actual stove, everything is contained "in/on" the hose.

Unscrew the hose, install the other one, you're done and ready to cook. Converting "back" to the other is just as easy, so you can use your stove with the trailer's system and just as easy, use it on the deck at home.

Come to think of it, I believe I saw (somewhere) a Camp Chef adapter so you can "quick disconnect" the hose where it connects to the stove, making it even faster to switch between one propane source and the other.

They are good products and no, I don't work for Camp Chef, but I do use them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
B-O-B'03

I have the optional griddle, for my Weber Q and finally got to try it on our last camping trip.

It works great, I grilled up a bunch of bacon and then made gluten free buttermilk pancakes, from scratch, that tasted even better than they do at home

Highly recommended.

-Brian
Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
concours

we have owned a Camp-Chef C oven 2 for 2 years it works well but the oven temp can be unstable if it is windy.it has no problem reaching 400 deg. on a cool day but with a wind 300 is the max. I have used it with disposable cans, 20lb tanks and with a quick connect to the trailer all work well
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote