Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Sorry to hear of so much bad luck. No one said anything about the truck wheel. If you do not know that is what happens to a wheel with lug nuts loose. The wheel keeps moving around the stud, wobbling against the stud, they break and or the wheel breaks. Some can feel or hear it before the failure.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 AM   #22
tank45

Lug bolt shear

Same thing here. In 1997 I had my conversion van in for a tire change at a place in Monterey, CA. 100 miles later, southbound on hwy 101, the back end of my van hits the ground and I saw my wheel go zooming past me and it bounced off into a field. The tow truck driver looked at the rotor/axle area and told me that he had seen this happen before and it was a case of over torque/crossthread and that one or more lug bolts had been cracked in the process. The pounding from the road surface had cause a break and domino effect took over and the all sheared off... $2000 damage to van. Since then, I have been pretty observant when getting new shoes put on anything and I always check the work with my own torque wrench.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Sourdough picked up on this, curious if you've checked the other 3 wheels? If this happened to me, I'd take a torque wrench, see if I could determine how tight they are. Could they have been over-tightened, causing failure of the stud, or not tightened enough?

I frequent a Discount Tire location nearby. Their protocol is to use impact drivers, but they are set to a lower torque. They follow up with torque wrenches to snug up, based that car's/wheel's specs.

In the end, good to hear everyone is safe. Hopefully you've got all the gremlins behind you!
Discount Tire along with most tire shops use a torque stick to snug the wheels. This is better than an actual impact with an extension as the torque applied is limited. They are not 100% accurate, but close so they can follow up with a quick torque wrench check.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

rhandyr99,

Sorry for your problems, nobody likes to be stranded with a broken vehicle, especially with a big fifth wheel in tow. Your problems may have been made worse by the combination of tow vehicle/trailer that you have listed in your signature. Without knowing more about how you load and tow, it looks like not only "could" you have had lug/lug nut problems, but a significantly overloaded rig. The 1999 F250 GVWR is 8800 pounds and the diesel version weighs in at about 7300 pounds (I had one). That leaves a payload of around 1500 pounds. The truck has a maximum trailer weight of 11,000 pounds. The Keystone website specs on your 2011 Keystone Fuzion 322 Touring Edition III indicate an empty (shipping weight) of 11,504 and a empty pin weight of 2560. Your RV, loaded for a return trip home, with a golf cart and personal camping equipment would surely weigh more than 11,000 pounds and the payload with your family in the truck would certainly be much more than the truck is rated to handle.

This overloading didn't contribute to the trailer tire problems, but given the obvious overloading, coupled with possible lug stretching/lug nut damage (from an impact wrench), these factors, when combined, may (or may not) have contributed to your wheel separation.

You're the only one that can make the conscious decision whether or not to tow this rig, but I'd urge you to do some research on your truck ratings and tow your rig to a certified scale to see exactly what you're facing before planning another "long trip". Remember, your truck is now 15 years old, it's mechanical condition has "aged" along with the years. Maintenance on vehicles usually includes oil/filter changes, tire rotation, brake maintenance and bearing maintenance. Seldom is maintenance or replacement performed on lugs, lug nuts, frames, bed connection bolts, cab attachment points, engine mounts, axle/rear end components and a host of other "GVWR related items". Your truck appears to be significantly overloaded based on your signature equipment.

Caution is warranted !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #25
tom37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
FYI - those tires are likely warrantied for 5-years. See: http://www.towmaxtires.com/content/t...ust%202012.pdf

TowMax is a China tire imported by a company called TBC here in the USA.

You may want to file a complaint - assuming the tire was properly inflated, your load was under gross, and you didn't hit anything. The DOT code from the tire is required. Enough complaints and manufacturers will stop using these and/or it'll steer people to use other tires:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
We replaced the Tow Max tires with Michelin's within two hundred miles of being new. Odd part, one of the tires was missing one number of the code. I think the date on three tires was 2014 and the other one 201. I assumed them to all be 2014. Don't really know.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toxmax tires