Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
dirt33

So stubborn it's funny...

My brother, my Dad, and I all stayed at the same campground a couple weekends ago. I had never camped beside my Dad, he has a pretty new TT. I got there after they did, and after I was all set up, my Dad was showing me his trailer. He had the campground water hooked right into his trailer. My brother asked him, "Oh man, do you not use a water regulator?" Dad looked at us like we were crazy. My brother explained to him the need for one, and Dad just scoffed it off, and said, "If it needed one that bad, why wouldn't they have built the trailer with one? I've been using this trailer 45 nights so far...". He later said (hastily), "If I have a problem, I will just take it back to the dealer and let them worry about it."

These days I just go around the corner and laugh. This is the same guy who, a few years ago while he was in town visiting, rode to Lowe's with me. I said I would be quick, as I was just going in to get a tube of hitch ball lube. His reaction to that indicated that he thought this was the dumbest thing he had ever heard. He spent the rest of his trip here amazed that I did indeed come home and put some of the lube on my hitch ball.

If someone pointed out to me that I have been overlooking an item that is pretty important, I would of course feel embarrassed, and then I would sheepishly start figuring out how to obtain said item (in this particular instance, I would have been elated to find out that I would only be out ten bucks or so). But, I guess my Dad's pride simply wouldn't let him do it. I figure it has to do with an "old man" getting told by youngsters how things are supposed to be done. (At this time, I could go on another tangent about researching ahead of time, thinking, planning, etc..... But, I guess some people just prefer to hook up and go. I personally spent a ton of time on this forum before I ever pulled out of the driveway.)

I did get a chuckle the final morning when we were all getting ready to leave. Yep, he's "that guy". He put his tow vehicle in drive and pulled forward to get his trailer tires down off of some blocks. Whoops, forgot to unplug the power cord first! Around the corner I went again, nearly falling over with laughter.

Anyway, some things in life a person just has to laugh about, I guess. Anyone else have any good stories about family/friends who are so stubborn that they insisit on doing things "against the norm?"
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
poncho62

Don't laugh too hard, there's a 50/50 chance that in 30 years, you will be the same. Luckily, I have more of my mom's traits.....Don't know how she put up with dad.....lol
Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
GaryWT

Well maybe I am the same. I have been camping for 24 years and have not used a regulator, don't grease the ball and the last thing I do is unplug the trailer as I leave it plugged in while I hook up and use the electric jack. While my wife pulls out the blocks that were under the wheels I unplug the trailer and do the final walk around.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Don't laugh too hard, there's a 50/50 chance that in 30 years, you will be the same. Luckily, I have more of my mom's traits.....Don't know how she put up with dad.....lol
I guess you could be right. I do get told fairly often by my girlfriend that I am stubborn just like my Dad (and even more like my grandfather, who doesn't take kindly to it if any given key is put anywhere other than the exact right key hook in the kitchen cupboard)....

I guess I like to think that I would set my pride aside if something were pointed out to me, especially by my own sons, that would be very "wise" for me to invest 10 bucks in. But, saying that as a 36 year old could very well be a tune different than the one I will be singing 30 years from now.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Well maybe I am the same. I have been camping for 24 years and have not used a regulator, don't grease the ball and the last thing I do is unplug the trailer as I leave it plugged in while I hook up and use the electric jack. While my wife pulls out the blocks that were under the wheels I unplug the trailer and do the final walk around.
I do realize that everyone has their own beliefs, and that is OK. The hitch ball lube thing wasn't much of a deal to me, I can easily see how someone would not consider it neccessary. I guess I was just surprised by how "taken back" he was about it. I mean, I don't say a word when he puts ketchup on his scrambled eggs, even though it did strike me as odd as heck the first time I saw it. Just personal preferences, I guess.

The regulator thing... I guess a person can get by without one. I honestly will be very eager to see if he has one in use next time or not. Really, if he is going to stay consistent with his stance, I will expect NOT to see one in use. If he is in fact using one, I will pretty much have my answer to my question of, "Did he just not want to conceed at that particular time that maybe once in a while the young bucks can tell him something useful?"

I would bet a good amount that your routine when leaving a campground is more "down pat" than my Dad's. I am like you, the power cord is one of the last things that gets unhooked, but then, the truck keys also are never near the igntion until I am in the seat for the final time, ready to depart. I saw the power cord thing happening as soon as he headed towards the vechicle. But, at that point in the weekend, I certainly wasn't about to "mention" anything else to him...
Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
jsmith948

Well, I guess I could tell you what I always tell my sons. "I might be all screwed up and don't know anything................but..........I managed to raise you, and, at least according to you, you turned out perfect!!!!"

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
gearhead

ketchup on eggs???????
in texas???
say it ain't so!
salsa..yeah.
lol
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm with you, gearhead... Ketchup goes on scrambled eggs only if there's potatoes mixed in and no tortillas around . Plain scrambled eggs, Salsa !!!

oh, and a little of that "McIlhenny sauce" on them if the salsa isn't "hot enough"

Now as far as an "old fart" being reluctant to listen to advice offered by a younger guy, sometimes I get the impression from the younger guys that us "old farts" have been "out of it" a bit too long and they don't need to listen to us, so I guess that feeling isn't "exclusive" with your dad. Sometimes we all resist advice that's given only to offer help.

But back to the eggs, Ketchup?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
wayfun

The older I get the more I realize how smart my late father was. Sure didn't think so 30 years ago. Appreciate him and his quirks while you have him.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

dirt33 -

I think your dad and I have a lot in common. He likes ketchup on his scrambled eggs - so do I. By doing this am I "going against the norm"? Now, if you put salsa on scrambled eggs THAT is definitely not the norm!

He doesn't use a regulator at the city water hookup. Most of the time I do but sometimes "I forget" and the city water is unregulated.

Your dad drove off without unhooking the shore power cord. I've pulled away from an old TT after it was all set up and ready to camp and forgot to unhook the safety chains.

So he doesn't put any grease on the ball but he does put ketchup on his scrambled eggs. I think your old man is a heck of a lot smarter than you give him credit for and he could be a lot worse than just being a bit "stubborn". I think Dennis aka wayfun has it right.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
Javi

Spoken like a 30 something... just wait your time will come

Ketchup on eggs sure isn't the norm in Texas... I always thought it was a Yankee thing when I saw it happening.. Then my own kid did it one morning and I was shocked... According to her she saw it on TV and thought it looked good... yuck

Pico de gallo is my dressing of choice for eggs and taters

No grease on a trailer ball and I sometimes use a regulator sometimes not...

As for the power cord... there are two kinds of campers, those who have forgotten to unplug.... and those who will one day forget to unplug..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #12
crash

Oh heck yeah scrambled eggs and ketchup and Texas Pete and eggs Heck Texas Pete goes on everything I eat YUM YUM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP_HP_BreakfastPizza_Recipe.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	7196  
Attached Images

2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

HEY JOHN SCRAMBLED EGGS NEED SALSA AND HOT SAUCE AS far as Dads go I loved my dad but he was challenged when it came to anything mechanical! Light bulbs did not come with directions to change themAs far as camping wen he did that in 1942 and that was enough for him.Can you tell I was adopted?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

I think that many people get set in their ways regarding how they do stuff. Until it breaks. I have worked for 33 years now using police cars, trucks, boats, rifles, shotguns etc. that many others use daily. There are reasons to clean or maintain that stuff, right ways and wrong ways. Nothing like going on a code 3 run to launch a boat for a river resuce and find the last guy left the gas tank empty, plug out, battery left on, tire flat etc. I just try to maintain or use my own stuff as the manuals or training says it should so it will work when needed. I am still learning about better ways to maintain the trailer by us talking about it on here.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
buckeyebobhockingcamper

ok,im 61,put ketchup on EVERYTHING,have 2 water pressure regs in my storage tote,which i put on,then take off because my dear wife of 37+ years says the shower pressure isnt strong enough!!!my kids still know more than me and my 92 year old father is the smartest man i know(now).i taught my boys to hunt and fish and now they do almost as good as me,they are learning the camper routine,but they are the stubborn ones.
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
BobnLee

Absolutely ketchup on scrambled eggs or easy over. Hot sauce is good on scrambled eggs though I put hot sauce on my hot sauce. Sriracha is good.
We put ketchup on everything.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
outwest

I was raised putting ketchup on scrambled eggs. That's how my mom got us kids to eat most anything, and she raised in SE corner of Oklahoma, so it's not a northern thing

I guess I've spent too much time in New Mexico because I really like green chiles in my scrambled eggs (and on most everything else). Heck, green chiles even make mcdonald's burgers taste halfway decent *laf*

as for doing things the wrong way on a trailer - worst two I've ever done was one time I removed the blocks from behind tires before hitching up, and the rig was on a slope with back of trailer on the downhill side *oops!* Got it stopped before it rolled more than a few inches and before gained any momentum *phew!* and one time nearly forgot to put the pin in the square receiver when hitching up *yikers!*

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote