Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
fred1609

Anyone Using Tire Pressure Monitors On TV or RV?

Anybody use those tire pressure sensors on their truck and rig tires
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
Yes, I have the Tire Minder think it is the older model 400, they have redesigned the monitor and I think the transmitters. I currently monitor 12 tires on my TV and Raptor. Monitors tire Pressure and Temperature of each tire. Easy to setup and you can set your own customized alarm set points for temperature and pressure. Just screw transmitters onto the tire valve stems.

Saved me already one time by alerting me of pressure dropping in one of the trailer tires and gave me enough time to get off the interstate. Basically would not go on a trip without it. Already has paid for itself!!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
buzzcop63

Bought Tire Minder from Camping World on line for $246.65 total, including shipping. Model TMG400C will cover up to 22 tires, 0-145PSI on 6/23/2012. Unit comes with four sender units that screw onto valve stems, receiving unit comes with stand to mount like GPS, is battery operated with a power cord that can be plugged into Tundra DC outlet. My reason for purchase was for security while running Power King Chinese tires. I ran last year and used it this winter to check tire pressure while trailer is in storage, no need to check by hand with gauge and let air out. I Set trailer tires with my digital gauge before a trip in the morning at 65.5Lb, example of one trip where wife and I left on a Sunday, during the summer, around 12:30pm fund that at a steady 55 MPH the tires would heat up to 80's in the sun and cooler on the side away from the sun, PSI rose up into the 70's, hot day! This is on a 120-mile trip on I5 down the valley from Portland to Eugene area. On way back home after 5 nights camping, we left Eugene area around 12:30pm with temperature at about 75 by the time we got home. Last readings stay on the Tire Minder, Tire Minder reads PSI/Temp, Driver side, Passenger side: Tire Minder reads 1 to 2Lb over digital gauge, shows tire it is reading and its location. PSI/Temp
68.8/82 68.2/89
69.2/84 69.4/86
The Tire Minder does not distract from driving as it does not cycle through the readings, had my wife push the buttons for the readings from time to time. It will let you know if your loosing any air and in which tire as well as over heating. Great thing about using the Tire Minder is knowing that all tires are being watched as well as being able to check pressure when unit is in storage or when your ready to leave park and not have to do by hand. Unscrew the 3 oz sending unit and the base unit goes nuts, red lights and sound so if you get a blowout you will know as well as any drop in pressure or dangers heat.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
ftwildernessguy

I use Tire Systems Technology monitoring system. Have not had any alarms in the 3 years of use, but it sure does give you piece of mind knowing it is scanning all the tires. Batteries on the sensors last about 2 years but are easily and inexpensively replaced.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
EricLynnAllison

My tire monitor saved me twice. Bes investment I ever made.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
jsmith948

Picked up a Tire Traker at the RV show in Quartzsite, AZ. Have only used it on the trip home, but, we like it so far. We have to manually scroll through the tire positions but the DW handles that task. I agree with the piece of mind.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Bombfixer

I have the Tire System Technology (TST) system. I bought it because of the negative reviews of the Tire Minder system and the fact that uses a flow thru sensor. I can add or release air from my tires without removing the sensors. It also has a lower profile receiving unit than the Tire Minder system. The readings from the sensors are within 2lbs of both my handheld tire gauge and the air compressor built in gauge. The TST system does cycle thru all the different sensors, I have it mounted in a position where it does not distract my vision yet I can easily check it when needed. I have a factory TPMS on the tow vehicle, so I only use the TST for my 6 tires on the 5er.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
I did not go into detail about the Tire Minder that I have and like, since there are a few systems out there and as you would guess each has their own Pros and Cons. I highly recommend a tire monitoring system for the TV and Trailer. Like I said in a previous post saved me once with the Raptor and once on my VAN. If interested you should go to the website for each one and compare features as we would for other products. Accuracy was not that important to me as compared to the units ability to monitor differences in Pressure and Temp and the ability to set your own alarm trigger points. These units are constantly reading all the tires with sensors installed and providing different alarms based on set points and the difference between the latest tire reading and the previous reading for that same tire.

I thought my truck would have come with a TPMS as a matter of fact salesman said it was included. Well after playing around with it at the dealer with the salesman we could not find it. While he was scratching his ........, I searched the web and found that Chevy HD trucks over 10,000 GVWR do not have installed TPMS. I chose to monitor all tires including spares on the trailer and TV, nice to know the spare has air in it

Again my 2 cents, need to do your own research on the various types and match them to your needs.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
MIKEPATC

TST is the best

Love my TST 507 System with Flow-Thru Sensors.
http://tsttruck.com/
Would not leave home without them.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
bsmith0404

My new TST 507 is due to arrive on Tuesday. Didn't get the flow through sensors, according to the TST rep and the material I can find on them, they are a little heavier and they recommend steel valve stems. The standard sensors are supposed to be fine on a standard rubber stem. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of changing the stems right now. They are supposed to "self calibrate" when reinstalled on the stem so I figured it isn't really any different than removing the stem cap.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
MIKEPATC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
My new TST 507 is due to arrive on Tuesday. Didn't get the flow through sensors, according to the TST rep and the material I can find on them, they are a little heavier and they recommend steel valve stems. The standard sensors are supposed to be fine on a standard rubber stem. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of changing the stems right now. They are supposed to "self calibrate" when reinstalled on the stem so I figured it isn't really any different than removing the stem cap.
Yes ... I went the metal valve stem route... but made the mistake of having my RV dealer add them during a routine service call. Crushed one seal and created a slow leak. TPMS found it though ... even though the trailer was parked in the yard, every time I drove by ... the TPMS went off. Saved me from a roadside situation. From now on I deal with a reputable tire dealer.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Outbackmel

Blow out

Recently has a tire blow on the Florida Turnpike, 70 miles south of Disney (our destination). Tore hell out of my underbody, fender skirt, etc. Now back in Georgia and was sweating bullets the final 425 miles. I could not find a replacement tire anywhere along our route.

Now waiting for collision estimate which I am positive will exceed our $1,000 deductible. On top of everything else, just bought a new Cedar Creek which is being built and will be picking it up mid to late April. By the way, the tire is NOT covered by insurance. (maintenance item) Sure it is!
I checked them all the time but this damage is unreal!

Short side: we will never see that Outback leave the RV dealer collision center before a tire pressure monitoring system is on it and functional. Not even hooking up until on there, period!

At 62mph we did not even feel that tire explode. Now that's scary. A bus pulled along side, honking, and protected us until we could safely stop.

Sad part of the story. We were at the Tampa Super Show and I went out of the way to show my wife the demo on these tire monitors BUT was STUPID and did not buy at the moment. Kicking myself in the pants!! Live and learn
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
W.E.BGood

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Brent...you'd better rethink that...see my post on this thread from last year http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11217.

p.s. It's a bit frustrating that TST told you that you didn't need them...I had a LONG and polite conversation with the company VP about what I found, sent him the pictures, told him he should recommend customers get metal or brass-reinforced high-pressure metal stems (which I subsequently had installed). He thanked me for the info. Obviously did no good.

Do as you wish. Regards, BGood
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
ROLIN JOSEPH

...very informative and tempting feature to invest in.
I have a couple of questions (about the stem mounted ones) please:
(1) How do you keep the sensors from getting stolen or tampered with?
(2) Do they affect wheel balancing at highway speeds?

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Joe -

There is a small set screw (Allen wrench type) on the unit that you tighten to prevent the sensor from working itself loose. If someone really wants to steal a sensor the tightened set screw won't stop that but it will make it a bit more difficult for it to "go walking". It simply makes it a bit more difficult to steal.

If you are able, it is best to install the sensor first THEN get the tire balanced after it has been installed. If you do this, the tire should be balanced with the sensor already in place.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

YOU WILL LOVE THE TEST SYSTEM I HAVE BOTH FLOW THROUGH ON THE REARS OF THE DUALLY AND THE REGULAR SENSORS ON THE REST OF THE TIRES AS THEY ARE EASY TO REACH. THE REGULAR SENSORS ARE ON CONVENTIONAL STEMS. HAVE HAD THEM 3 YEARS NOW. SAVE US ONCE ON THE 5ER. WORTH EVERY PENNY! SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS FORGOT to turn it off. too dang lazy to re type. Thats because i am grumpy it's snowing again!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
azlee56

I know they give me peace while riding shotgun. What was funny is we were unhooked and I had a duh moment and I said, why aren't the other tires showing up? Just the truck tires are. The hubby looked at the read out and then at me with disbelief on his face. He said Lee, we aren't pulling at the moment. (this was months ago after going to Texas). My answer was, well it doesn't have much of a range does it? (smirk)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

That's as funny as my DW asking if the ice cube trays would be ok in the sink during winter storage and freezing weather I bet your hubby and I had the same look on our faces! But that is one of the many reasons I love her
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
W.E.BGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLIN JOSEPH View Post
...very informative and tempting feature to invest in.
I have a couple of questions (about the stem mounted ones) please:
(1) How do you keep the sensors from getting stolen or tampered with?
(2) Do they affect wheel balancing at highway speeds?
Joe,
#1. The TST non-flowthru sensors are constructed so that the "cap" just spins freely, the inner "base" with the threads that screw onto the stem requires a special small wrench or key (provided) that clasps the base and allows one to turn it. I do not know if the flow-thru's have the same design.

#2. They DO affect wheel balance...I had mine balanced after install of the high-pressure stems and with the sensors attached. Per the tire tech, the combined weight of them requires it by common standards.
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote