Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Quad

Keystone Dealer woes

My dealer has been helpful to my wife and I up until now. We bought a brand new 2013 Laredo 5er back in March. Since we've bought it we have had several warranty issues with it, some small, some large. Over all, just really poor build quality causing two trips to the dealer with 20-25 items each time to be addressed. This last trip the dealer has repaired everything but two things. A seeping leak at a toilet valve they say they can't find and really isn't a big deal I can handle that when it's out of warranty easily enough. Also a front left jack (that they've replaced once for shearing the shaft on the inside) that is now making a rotational bearing noise that no other jack is making. It's loud enough when operating my neighbors have said something to me about it, like "wow that doesn't sound good". My wife has even came out the house to see what it was when it started making it one day while packing up for camping. Their tech says he hears the noise but it's not uncommon or not not normal that other jacks don't make it. My complaint is the three other jacks don't make this noise, we've already replaced one jack for sheared shaft, And you want me and my family to take a chance on this jack. I don't think that's right, nor is that customer service that would make any customer happy and want to return to buy another camper. Why should we be stuck potentially paying for a jack that could fail outside of warranty (We won't most likely be camping till after next March and it would be out by then). I'm a tech myself for a forklift company. We have a customer satisfaction standard we call X factor and we strive to hit these goals with our customers. I've warranty/repair several things at no cost to customers like this that they have issues with and don't see it as out of the norm. Customers are everything, and returning customers are happy ones. Am I asking to much? Should I contact keystone if they don't budge? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
airforceret

As a minimum I'd have the dealer put in writing why they feel your claims should not be handled under warranty. A verbal answer will get you nowhere! If they do put it in writing, and you are not satisfied, then I'd suggest you contact Keystone customer service and see what response you get.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
billb800si

If you are unable to get satisfaction from your dealer then Keystone is the one to contact before your warranty is over.
Be polite but be persistent....

Good luck,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
04z71

Talking

The more pressure the better
04z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Bob Landry

I agree a paper trail is going to be necessary. I could be mistaken, but last I heard, the dealer's techs did not make decisions on what did and did not get repaired under warranty.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You are correct, Bob. The service manager/facility manager/Keystone Rep and/or the Keystone customer service rep/factory management are the "final decision" There is a long list of people who can veto the tech's decision that he doesn't want to do the exchange under warranty. Why he would balk at a "squealing" jack knowing the owner is going to be pissed when it fails in the middle of nowhere (which it will do) is beyond me.

I'd discuss it with the service manager and I'd almost bet his decision is to "err on the side of caution" and simply replace the jack. After all, even Keystone doesn't pay for that one, the jack manufacturer does. So Keystone will be reimbursed also.

As a "last resort" assuming Keystone refuses all the way up the line (a highly unlikely event), the OP can always contact the jack manufacturer who is probably Lippert, and discuss the problem with them. I'm sure they will want a satisfied customer as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Toot's Trailer

Don't count on Keystone

I have been struggling with Keystone for over 1 year about a structural problem. Keystone has been indifferent and reluctant to fix the issue until I filed complains with the Attorneys' General, BBB and obtained a lawyer. Even with these efforts, Keystone has yet to fix the problem. However, at least they are finally working at doing so.
Toot's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot's Trailer View Post
I have been struggling with Keystone for over 1 year about a structural problem. Keystone has been indifferent and reluctant to fix the issue until I filed complains with the Attorneys' General, BBB and obtained a lawyer. Even with these efforts, Keystone has yet to fix the problem. However, at least they are finally working at doing so.
Tim,

Back in early October, you said that Keystone wanted the trailer back at the factory to repair the roof. It sounds like now you're saying Keystone backed out of that arrangement. Is that the situation? Or is that still in the works? From your previous posts, it sounded like you were about to leave for Goshen to have your Montana repaired.

What is the current status?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Quad

After discussing more with the service writer and talking to his service manager, they've agreed to fix the jack for me. It took me a few phone calls and explaining how I think this would have played out in the future for them to be on board, but they did decide to take care of it. Thankfully!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Seems like they would like to have you back as a repeat and continuing customer. Now, how difficult was that? Common sense prevails - some of the time.