Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
TmJones

Seasonal Campsite

We are looking into renting a site for the spring/summer season 2014. Having just put our newest baby to bed for the winter, I am just curious how many out there do this, or do you camp different sites every outing? The next 5 months cannot pass fast enough.
TmJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
BC Canada

We like to go to different sites, mostly around BC
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
ctpd814

We have a seasonal site and enjoy it. Ours is about 20 miles from our house so we use it almost every weekend and some during the week when schedules allow. You can always pack up and take off for a trip if you choose.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Lost

We have a seasonal site from May to Oct on a lake and love it. It's just a little over 2 hours from home. It's nice because we can go there for a day if we want with no hasssle. The only issue is when we come home because during the summer we bring up so much stuff like our boat, kayks, etc so about 2 weeks before we bring our rig home I'm bring all the stuff back every trip. We also found the cost of the site for the summer is much cheaper than pulling the rig back-and-forth.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
poncho62

Did the seasonal thing for about 5 years,,,,2nd year ended up buying a 40ft park model.....We ended up selling it as I lost my job and semi retired, boughta country property and felt we didnt need it anymore....We have since gone back to towing a trailer.

There are many advantages to seasonal....not having to tow the trailer there....no setup being a biggy.
Disadvantages....Having to look after the lot, paying extra for electric.....Feeling that since you are paying for the whole season that you have to go each weekend to make it worth the money.
I think I like the towing the trailer better...but that's just me
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the state park campgrounds in Michigan have a "park it" program available. You tow your RV to the campground, use it, then when you're ready to go back home, you pull your camper into a parking lot and store it there. The next time you want to camp, you drive "solo" to the campground, pull your RV onto a campsite and "you're good to go".....

The cost (yes it's not free) is minimal and it saves the expense of having to tow back to the same place weekend after weekend. Sort of a "modified" seasonal site.

You may want to see if the campground where you "like to visit often" has this type of program available.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
yeabuddy

This was our first year on a seasonal site and we couldn't be happier. We spent 45 nights over the last 6 months. It's only 1.5 hours from home, not too far but just far enough to feel like we were "getting away". I think distance is important, I think you'll go more and get your moneys worth if it's closer to home. More pro's than cons we think. No set up or take down, no check in or out times... you can come and go as you please and packing is a breeze as we leave a lot there. It's pretty much turn key... arrive, open the door and your vacation begins. It's much like having a cabin, which we grew up doing so that's what appealed to us the most. As far as "upkeep"... a little trimming here and there but it never felt like work. We're in the woods under lots of trees, the grass still grew but there wasn't much of it. We have a small deck than layed a few yards of mulch to take up most of our property. You can always make it so there isn't a whole lot of yard work to be done. The electric was a separate charge for us too but was under $200 for the whole season.
You'll get lots of opinions on these forums about having a seasonal site, we absolutely love it and won't go back to towing but it's not for everyone. I say go for it. What's the worst that could happen... you'll have a second home for 6 months Just make sure it's within reach, at a campground that offers the things you love and in a location that offers even more. And if you feel like traveling you could always park on a spot where it can be pulled off occasionally.
Just my 2¢
Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
crash

We had a park model for years and the fees just kept going up and up with not many improvements to the area,Thats why we like just going to differant places.Just my 2 cents.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
GaryWT

We had a seasonal for 11 years and loved it. When the kids started school and sports etc it was hard to make plans but as a seasonal we could come and go as needed, show up on a Sat or leave Early Sunday morning with ease. It was great and we all enjoyed it. We had a 12 wide park model which was great. As the kids grew and many of the friends we made started to leave we re-thought it. The fees were going up, $3,400 the year we left plus our oldest was going to have to pay a visitor fee since he was 21. Our youngest wanted to travel again as he was 5 when we went seasonal so we are traveling now and loving that. When we are in areas or campgrounds that we like we look into seasonal just for the fun of it but fees are $5,000 plus and to us, we are not enjoying traveling for less than $5,000 a year so we will stick to it but we are very glad we did go seasonal when we did.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
ohiocougar

We just finished our 3rd year at a seasonal site and love it. We leave Friday after work and come home Sunday afternoon. It is a 1 1/2 hour drive so even if we stay just one night it is worth it for us.
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

We to are seasonal campers. the camp ground is beautiful as well as the surounding area. have great campers next to us. we are going to start and r/c car truck racing next year as we have about 10 people that are interested. sad part is next weekend the place closes for the winter. it is sad when it's time to pack it up and go [pink]!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
bp926

We spend 4 weekends on a lake in the Spring and 4 weekends in the fall.(same place). Through the summer we have been heading north for several weeks. We kind of get a taste of both.
bp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
airforceret

I find half the joy is getting to and from our destination. We always seem to find new places to stop along the way, and the camaraderie of being cooped up together in the truck each day of travel is an experience second to none.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
allmi01

I'll second airforceret's comments. The trip is half the fun and conversing with the DW while she sleeps away the trip is priceless.

There is a lot to see in this great land and the majority of it isn't next to a campground.

Mike