Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

50 Degrees PLUS (or minus)

About 2 weeks ago we set out on a "round robin" trip from Michigan to Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina and finally back to Ohio/Indiana before heading home. So far, after about 2800 miles, the new Cougar has been flawless so far. The only issue to date has been the wheel weights WalMart installed on the tires when I had them balanced. They slung off during the first few hundred miles. Otherwise, <knock on wood> the trailer has been great and no problems with the truck.

One "surprise" (well not really) is the heat in the south. We had "sort of" expected warmer temps the further south we went, but didn't expect temps of 95+ in September. As best I remember, Louisiana was in the high 80's this time of year..... Hmmmmm We didn't expect such a "warm welcome" in our old home town, but sure got a "hot and humid hug" every time we opened the door LOL Thankfully, the decision to get a 15K BTU A/C helped. It was always nice and cool inside and yes, we spent more time than expected indoors.

It usually took a couple hours to cool down after towing all day. Not a real problem as "mint julipes" under the awning watching the dog stretch his legs filled the time. I'm pleased with the A/C performance so far.

Now, as for the 50+ degrees...... This morning in Beckley WV, it was 45 so we have also had the "fine opportunity" to check out the furnace. Yes, it works too LOL

On to Ohio in a few minutes as the saga continues. We're planning to be back in Michigan by the end of the week, but how soon we get back to the "tundra" with its "anything but tropical" temps (home) remains uncertain.

We are enjoying the new Cougar and so far, it's "enjoying us"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
crash

Glad to hear you have had a great trip .Keep it safe out there and happy camping.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

sounds like a great trip Glad all is going well morning temps at the cg on the weekend have been 40-42 sure hope this is not a sign of things to come like last year travel safe
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

John, Glad to hear you are having a good time. Those wheel weights from Wally World must have come from China. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
byrdr1

Should have hollered when you was in NC... I live near I-40/85 one of three county's they both run through together.
in two weekends I have been from one end of NC to the other.
Was in New Bern & Atlantic Beach, NC last saturday, this weekend I was in Dillsboro, Sylva and Cullowhee, NC.
Safe travels,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Randy,

We spent 3 days in Garner at 70 East RV Park. We probably went right past your house Sunday morning on our way out. We were there to visit our son who lives there. It was pretty nice except for the last night. It rained from about 6PM until just before we left Sunday morning. Yes, I hitched in the rain, got things ready to travel and as I was showering and trying to get dry, the rain stopped and the sun came out. Isn't that always the way it goes...... <sigh>

I wouldn't recommend the RV Park (except as a place to park). It's an old converted mobile home park. There are a large number of RV full timers there, a few mobile homes spread around and some spaces for travelers/campers. It worked for us as we weren't really "camping" rather we were there to visit outside the park and only slept there. At the prices they charge, you'd expect hot tubs, concrete pads, WiFi, cable and a "state of the art" bath house/laundry. The only thing I saw was 3 empty dumpsters.... At least they were empty ROFL....

We're in Ohio now, (visiting the "other" child and grandkids). It's in the low 50's and all is good.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
GaryWT

What better way to try out all the systems. Sounds like a great trip. We did not need the AC last week but the heat got a workout as it was 30/40 at night and 60-80 during the day. Safe travels.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks Gary,

We are enjoying the trip and it's so true that simply using the RV is the best way to see what works and what doesn't. So far, all systems are go. There are a few of the "little things" like no dampers in the heat registers, noise from the water pump, light fixtures with on/off switches in strange places, etc. but for the most part, everything seems to be assembled well and working as designed. One thing that did happen is that the extension handle on the galley tank drain valve vibrated off somewhere between Memphis, TN and Alexandria, LA. It was there when I dumped one morning and not there when I set up the RV that afternoon. Of course, nobody seems to carry the "Keystone" type of extension, but a 6" long 1/4" bolt, a "old time" garden faucet handle and a threaded rod coupler and all is back in working order. I'll let the dealer replace it with the "Keystone" type when we get back home and take it in for them to install the slide covers.

So far, it's been a great trip and in a few days we'll be out of clean clothes and have to head home (laundry prices are out of sight) LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
John, Glad to hear you are having a good time. Those wheel weights from Wally World must have come from China. Travel safely, Hank

Hank, I looked at the couple that didn't sling off and it seems that they just don't grip the wheel edge well enough. When we get back home, it's back to WM with the wheels and the receipt. I'm "certain" they will be happy to rebalance them. The issue, I think, will be convincing them to use the correct weights (or use stick on weights) so they won't come off again.

China???? It seems that every day I find more and more that's only produced there. Is anything still "American made"???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
raytronx

Sounds like a great trip! Glad the Cougar is performing well. I had my black tank extension rod break and cobbled together a replacement out of stuff at a hardware store. Since then I've checked several RV parts outlets and can't seem to find the extensions Keystone used.

Have fun, I'm envious right now as we have been stationary all summer and getting antsy. Can't wait till mid October and snowbird season down south.

Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Ray,

I've checked Keystone dealer service/parts departments in LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, VA, WV, OH, IN (no I didn't go to the factory, but right now we are about 35 miles from Goshen in Bluffton, IN). I called about a tour tomorrow, but they don't have any this week. Next Thursday is the next available tour, so we'll try later. Like you, I went to a hardware store, got a threaded rod couplet, a 1/4" bolt 6" long and a garden faucet handle and made my own extension. It works just like the original and when I take it back to the dealer to install the slide covers, I'll ask them to replace it with the "correct one" Why? Hmmm I don't have any real reason other than wanting what came with it. What's on it now works just as well as the original, but it's not "the original" LOL

I know how you feel about being in one place "too long" We're planning to redo this trip in March/April. By then, the "good snowmobiling" and cross country skiing will be over, most of the snow will be "slush" and we will most likely be yearning for spring, so might as well go "find spring" while the snow melts and the muddy roads turn to spring in Michigan..... Besides, by then we'll want another "dose" of grandkids LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS