Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Gilstan

Angry Not Happy with my New Outback Sydney 32 FRE

On our 1st trip out in our brand new Outback Sydney 32FRE the seam that runs the width of the trailer just behind the gooseneck separated. The wind turbulent from the truck caused the panel to pull apart on both sides. The separation of the panel caused the insulation to blow away and expose the frame under the bedroom.

Because driving the camper from our destination would have caused more damage, the RV dealer was contacted and they requested that I get an estimate for the repair. An on-site RV repair contractor responded the following day and indicated that he could do the repairs however I would have to leave it with him to work on the following week. The on-site RV repair contractor and the RV dealer talked directly and the repair was authorized. Because the repair could not be completed while we were there, we had to put the camper in storage and return the following week to pick it up.

The following week after the repairs were completed we decided to stay at the campground before heading back home. When setting up, the fourth slide, the large living room slide, would not extend. You could here the motor running and clicking as if the gears were not catching. Great, it’s 100 degrees out and the slide is blocking the access to the living room and the dealer does not know how to manually extend the slide. Approximately 1 hour later the RV dealer calls back after talking to Keystone. I was told that I would have to cut a whole in the underbelly to locate the motor. Once the motor was located I could use a 5/8” socket to manually extend the slide. I was also told that it sounded like the cylinder was jammed and needed to be adjusted. They indicated that once I extended the slide a little to attempt to extend with the motor. That worked!! The slide went out. It’s a good thing because if I had to use that 5/8” socket to manually extend it, it would have taken all day.

I’m not happy with my new purchase because when I get home I will have to drive it 2 hrs. to the dealer for the slide adjustment and a repair of the shower drain that is also leaking.

For the Keystone owners that might have slide problems in the future can you explain why the slide motors are not accessible and if there is a bit or socket that can be purchased for an auxiliary drive device such as a cordless drill.
Gilstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There have been members who have posted problems with leaking slides but very few have had problems with sticking or binding slides. On some Keystone models, the access to the manual slide override(s) are in a more accessible location and easier to access than others. Some manual overrides are located under the unit covered by the plastic underbelly. Some have access doors already cut out while others do not and you have to locate the slide motor then cut out an access door yourself. Keystone does put out a video about manually moving your slide in or out and where different accesses are located. If you go to the Keystone website, you should be able to find these videos and view them.
In many cases, it depends upon which Lippert slide mechanism you have so there is not a standard location for all units. I am not sure why Keystone "hides" these access points and why they are built in such inaccessible locations. In many cases, the dealers themselves do not know where the manual overrides are located and there are customers who do not inquire.
You can use a cordless drill but you should be careful not to turn the hex nut too fast or you can damage the mechanism. If it is a 5/8 in nut, then get the same diameter socket for your portable drill.
In some cases, you will also need to disconnect the battery from the slide motor before cranking it in or out. If you don't you may damage your slide motor. On mine, the instructions tell you to do this.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Gilstan

Thanks for the reply. I have reviewed all of the information received with the trailer and none of it addresses the slides or even the type of slides (or motor) used. I guess I'll have to re-open the access point that I have sealed back shut and attempt to figure the type of motor. From there I guess I'll Google the manufacture for the correct manual method of putting the slide out manually.

Being able to extend your slide/s is important especially mine since the large slide blocks access to 1/2 the trailer. I just think that when you pay $40,000for a trailer, information that can be critical to a trip should be addressed. When I find out the information on the slide motor I will post it for the other owners.
Gilstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The slide out mechanism and its operation can be found at Lippert, the manufacturer. If you go to their website, you can find out what kind of slide mechanism you have and probably some information about the slide motor. If you cant find the Lippert web site, get back to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Regarding your slide and slide motor........ You might want to check Stargazer's post of 05-13-2010 (Helpful Keystone Service Videos) in the section Keystone Service/Support Kudos. He has included a website to go to which you may find helpful.