Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
x96mnn

Bought in the US and Service in Canada

Noticed a comment in another post regarding service in Canada on units bought in the USA.

We all have talked to in detail that in the RV industry there is a large number of dealers who refuse or will not complete warranty work on units not purchased from them. We have debated and concluded this is bad business sense on their part, but at the end of the day people still buy RV's and I think unfortunately this is more common then not, having experienced it myself. Not just

I believe this is going down the path of getting worse. I went to an RV show and collected almost every pamphlet out there not paying attention to most until I got home. One pamphlet is from gorvcanada which I was told is sponsored by the federal government. The pamphlet is titled BUY LOCAL IT IS BETTER IN THE LONG HAUL. In the Pamphlet it list one of the reasons why is so you do not have to make long runs for service, parts and warranty issues later.

As I understand it there will be no available recourse to Canadians to have their RV's repaired by anyone other then the purchased from dealer. The BBB has received multiple complaints on this item and will not proceed further unless the issue is logged against the purchased from dealer and not the manufacturer or other dealer. There is no legal avenue you can take to force Keystone to have a dealer in Canada service it for you.

With all this said it still may be better off buying in the US. I am concerned that this step/stance in public education on buying local is the first of many. I think as Canadians we would be smart to keep a close eye on this, if they decide to make it difficult for a manufacturer to reimburse the dealers who are willing to do the work, it will take things to another level yet again.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
antiqfreq

What happens if you buy in the US and the move to Canada?

Will you have to make the trip south each time you need anything done under warranty?

If the RV manufacturer reimburses them for the work, what do they care where it is bought?? Does Keystone make it difficult for the reimbursement?? Is that the problem here?

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
x96mnn

My problem was I bought about 200KM away from the town I lived in, no dealers in my town so the closest was 150km away so it was not a stretch to go the extra 50KM. I moved about 200KM and there was a a dealer about 15KM down the road, I needed my AC replaced after 6 months and he told me to take it back where I bought it, point blank, did not care. Had to drive 800KM round trip for service. AC got replaced but the other odds and ends I fixed myself as they were not worth the trip.

When I called the manufacturer all they could do for me was tell me where I could call to see if they would service it, take it back to the dealer I bought it from, or I could take it back to the manufacture in Texas.

I do not think this is anything to do with the manufacture, they do not care who they pay to fix it. Keystone may be to blame for low balling the repair time and the dealer may be at fault for not having highly skilled workers do the repairs costing more time and money in the long run. I am concerned we have a fairly loosely regulated industry with the potential of becoming less regulated.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
BruLaz

Thinking seriously about buying our next trailer from rvwholesaler.com in the USA.

They claim to have a network of repair folk in Canada who will do warranty work. And the price they quoted is good. Folks on RV.NET have had generally good experiences with them.

My local dealer for Laredo only stocks the big expensive trailers and RV's. When I mentioned that I'd seen a 240MK in Florida and would be interested, they immediately got their back up, and said that they might be willing to special order but not to expect much of a price reduction. Didn't even ask if they would do any warranty repair on a US unit. Doubt it though.