Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
wtxdxer

Load Range E on 2600 lb steel rim?

A few weeks ago I picked up a drywall screw in one of my tires. Of course, it was just off the tread so it couldn't be repaired. I was out of town and not wanting to travel without a spare I bought a Carlisle LR E from Discount Tire, since that's all they stock. The original tires are Towmax LR D.

I'm planning to buy four Maxxis LR E tires. The original rims are marked max load 2830 lbs so I should be OK there. I'm planning to move the Carlisle LR E to my spare. However, my spare rim is marked max load 2600 lbs.

Discount Tire says putting the Carlisle LR E on the spare rim is no problem. Looks to me like I need a higher load rim on my spare for the LR E tire.

Any comments?

Alan
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Keystone didn’t do anything wrong with the tire/rim fitment for your trailer. The OE tires are rated at 2540# at 65 psi. On the other hand, Keystone cannot recommend going to the next higher load range with your replacements without being responsible for the rims. So, you're on your own - so to speak.

The #1 best upgrade is going up in load range - there are no physical size differences - as you want to do. The great benefit you get for doing that is the added load capacity of the upgrade. However, you have to use the higher air pressure to gain that load capacity. If you’re not willing to do that it’s a waste of money to get the upgrade.

You’re ok with the four 2680# rims but that 2600# rim needs to be replaced. The vehicle manufacturer provided you with a 100% usable spare tire. You should provide that same service to yourself.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

I did something I always recommend against and have exceeded my original Load range D size tires with the Maxxis Load range E and placed them on my wheels which are stamped 2600 lbs max. The Load range D's have a 2540 lb rating at 65 psi. I will still gain some reserve by using the E tires and inflating the psi according to the Maxxis inflation chart to 70 psi. which increases load range to 2620. My wheels have no maximum psi rating stamped on them. My Trailer GVWR is 10k and has about 1000# tongue weight depending on loading so my tires are easily rated to carry the entire GVWR which I like. I have toyed with increasing the psi higher but since it already exceeds the load weight needed and what the wheels are rated for there is no benefit to pushing my luck. I hope to upgrade the wheels at some point.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
wtxdxer

Thanks for the comments. I've ordered the LR E Maxxis and a steel rim for the spare with a load rating of 2850 lbs so I should be good to go. I'm going to hold on to my old LR D spare so I'll have a spare spare

Alan
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxdxer View Post
Thanks for the comments. I've ordered the LR E Maxxis and a steel rim for the spare with a load rating of 2850 lbs so I should be good to go. I'm going to hold on to my old LR D spare so I'll have a spare spare

Alan
Very good idea having an extra spare. I once lost both curb side tires to a large chunk of tire tread that came off a 18 wheeler in front of me. Missed it with the truck tires but couldn't clear it with the trailer tires. Since then I've always carried two spares.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote