Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Charlotte

We are in our 4th week of using our new TT and there is a problem with all the overhead lights.

The light over the sink dimmed on and off twice in a minute then went completely off. It was extremely hot and the toggle switch will not work now.

We removed all the covers for the lights and every bulb (18) has brown marks on the plastic where they plug in and 1 bulb is actually metallic black from over heating.

I called the dealer we purchased the TT from and the service dept. was not very helpful....I am now a owner and not a buyer I was told they would have to look at the light and then they would determine if it was covered under warranty.

I am in a different state buying a new home so I called Keystone for a local repair dealer which happens to be Camping World. Their service department told me the lights are known for the problems we are having. Camping World also has a 2 week wait for service.

Anyone else know of the light problem? We are concerned about electrical problems/fire hazard.

Thanks for any input while we wait for service

I forgot to add we have the 2510RB model.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Charlotte -

If you have a tester/multimeter, check the DC voltage at a few of the light fixtures. There might be an issue with your converter in that it may be producing more than 12v DC throughout the system. It is doubtful that there is a problem with the light bulbs themselves.

Get back to us and let us know what reading(s) you get by testing the DC voltage at the fixtures.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Charlotte

Thank you and I will post back
Old 07-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
B&T

Quote:
We removed all the covers for the lights and every bulb (18) has brown marks on the plastic where they plug in and 1 bulb is actually metallic black from over heating.
I noticed others here were having the same problem, took a look at the lights and immediately saw that when completely closed there is no way for the heat from the bulb to escape.

Poor design in my opinion.

I went to each fixture and slid each of the clear covers open about 1/8-1/4 inch so there would be at least some air flow getting into each fixture to cool it down.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Charlotte

The electrical checked out fine.

We are going to replace every bulb with with a LED today - the Camping World is open today & they are on sale- that will take care of the problem with the heat. A bit of expense but cheaper than replacing every fixture from a meltdown and dealing with warranty issues.

Good idea on venting the covers which would be a short term solution.

Thanks for the input. This site has lots of great info
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Charlotte

I wanted to update that the service dept. at Camping World in Gulf Breeze Florida has been really helpful in helping us with our light fixture problems. They are providing us with a new factory fixture for our "melted" light fixture.

They had one in stock and all we have to do is bring in the bad fixture & they will return the bad fixture to Keystone. A much easier solution than bringing the travel trailer in since we are living in it until we close on our new home.

I called Keystone before I spoke to Camping World and they where very un-helpful which I guess I expected. They have never had any problems with the fixtures.....

It has all worked out and we love the led replacements.