Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
440justin

Damage to slide out roof.

Today I was washing my new Passport top to bottom and discovered two small cracks in the slide out roof. We have only used our camper two nights and I know this damage didn't happen then as I was not parked under any trees. I will be calling my dealer in the morning to get it in before our trip up north in a few weeks. I am hoping they will make this a warranty item, but if not I am going to at least argue for splitting the cost since they have the slides out on all the campers when they are on their lot and neither one of us can prove when this happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0997.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	3281  
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The holes themselves would not concern me as they are easily patched. What I would be worried about is any damage done by water intrusion causing rot or mold. Be sure to document what repairs your dealer makes in case of future problems. If you are not charged you may not have any receipt for repairs. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Hankpage said, you may not get a receipt if it is covered under warranty. I always ALWAYS ask for documentation on everything done to my RV. The dealer should write up a service order with your complaint when you take it in, just ask them to complete that document with what they found and what they did to repair it, then file the service order away with your RV information. That way, should you have problems later, you will have the document trail to help establish that the issue related to a previous one.

Over time, I've come to understand that if it's not documented, it didn't happen. And yes, we even keep receipts for accessories and spare parts we buy, just in case we might have a problem with something later on.

I do this with most everything. My truck, RV, boat, tractor, I even keep the receipts for any tools I might buy, such as new batteries I buy for my rechargable drill. It makes for a "bulky" filing cabinet, but it sure helps when something goes wrong, even if it's just to verify how old the battery that failed to recharge really is. Yup, "time flies when you're having fun" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
440justin

What do you guys think the best way for this to get fixed is? Whole new slide roof, or some kind of patch? This roof is some kind of hard plastic and not rubber like the rest of the trailer. I am taking the trailer into the dealer 1st thing tomorrow morning so they can look at it and make a plan from their.

Thanks for the advice to get documentation even if it does not cost me anything. I always keep all my receipts, but I might not of though about it if I end up not paying anything.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
gmtech1

All i can say is good luck.My slide out roof must have been leaking all winter and there was black mold everywhere.I wanted a new trailer they wouldn't give me one and it wen't to the factory to be fixed in febuary.I still don't have the trailer back due to the transport company ripped both wheel flairs off and blew out a tire during transport back to my dealer.I have reservations july 1st somebody is going to pay 2000.00 if i don't get it back by then.You can't cancell reservations this late.well anyway have fun dealing with keystone its been an experience.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
440justin

Well the dealer is going to take care of it. They gave me two options.
Option 1: Do a Dicore patch and give me a $250 credit for parts or future service, and warranty the work as they warranty any other work that they do.
Option 2: Get the new roof from Keystone (4-6 week wait) and then replace the roof, from looking at it with the service tech they damn near have to remove the slide and tip it out to replace the roof. Along with taking about the outside top and side trim.

I opted for option 1, I know options 2 might be a bit better deal, but I have had no issues with my slide operation and it does not leak when it is open (garden hose test) or closed (tested by 6" of rain over 3 days) and I just felt there was too much of a risk of the slide never being the same after it has been tipped out.

My dealer has been very good to work with, giving me the options, not fighting or trying to blame me for the damage. I guess it goes to show lots of the problems people have with Keystone can be easily handled if you have a good dealer and they treat you right!