Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
concours

Ist trip

We took our new Cougar 331 MKS on a short trip for 5 days, the TV and trailer worked great but we are a little dissapointed with the lenght of the difficiency list, lots of the usual things but we do have a major concern with contact between one of the island drawers and the door on the dinette bench when the slides are in, it is almost as if the island is in the screwed to the floor in the wrong possition, the drawer and the door are damaged. We will be interested to see what our dealer has planned to correct the problem as moving the island will involve the flooring and the carpets. Has anyone else had this problem?
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Paddler

Hi Concours,

The problem might be a little more simple than having to relocate the island. Is it possible the drawer is opening during travel and then making contact with the dinette door?

Quick check, grab the drawer handle and give it a slight pull, if it opens easily, you need to adjust the drawer latching mechanism or place a piece of foam between the drawers and the dinette when travelling.

Good luck with your new rig,
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
concours

the problem is not the drawer or door opening while travelling, the door and the drawer actually press against each other when the slides are in so that the door handle is pressed against the island drawer the inprint of the handle is stammped into the drawer front
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Paddler

Wow, that be tight! So much for the simple solution
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
concours

Finally after many "discussions" with our dealer the problem is fixed, initially the dealer tried swapping doors and handles around but could not get enough clearance. The final answer was to remove the dinnette and replace it with a free standing table and chairs, re cover the inside wall covering because of the marks and screw holes left behind after removing the dinnette, we now have enough clearence and the slide now is able to go all the way in forming a tight seal. Unfortunatly we have lost the extra storagebut its a good compromise. Its too bad that Keystones poor quality control puts the dealer in this possition
Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
antiqfreq

I am glad a solution was found

but at your said - it really was at your expense of losing that extra storage area.

Hope all else goes well with your camper though........

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
concours

2nd trip

well after a dissapointing 1st trip last October in our new 331MKS we thought all of our problems had gone, wrong on this trip we had to stop and remove the spare tire and store it in the truck as the rear bumper had started to break off, then when we arrived at our destination the main slide carpet became hung up under the couch destroying the carpet, the cable TV would not work due to to a problem with the winegard box and now we find what may be screws sticking thru the bedroom side roof membrane. Are we expecting too much or did we just invest into a piece of junk. Our dealer is trying really hard to make us happy and all of the work they have done has been good but the bottom linr is that the trailer has only travelled 800 KM on paved roads and the spare tire brakes off the bumper what will happen when we travel allon the Washington I5 Is anyone else having thesr problems
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Keystone issued a recall on 2 Cougars - 26SAB and 29RES - for the years 2010-2012 for "metal fatigue" in the bumper which could lead to the spare tire separating from the RV. Although your Cougar does not seem to be affected by the recall notice, a few others have reported similar bumper issues as yours.

I'd get the dealer to add reinforcement to the bumper in addition to the normal repair that he would do to fix the separation.

The problem with the bumper, the Winegard box and the screw penetration into the roof membrane should all be taken care of under your 1 year warranty - assuming that it still in effect.

It sounds like your dealer is going to bat for you and trying to make things right but I understand your frustration in having to deal with these issues on a brand new RV.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

You should be disappointed in Keystone and proud of your dealer. The Cougar line enjoys a good reputation but I must say I had none of those kind of issues with my El Cheapo Keystone Hornet trailer that sells for much less.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
concours

very happy now

After a very disappointing start all of our concerned are now fixed and we are very happy with our 331MKS our dealer has fulfilled all of the promises and did a real good job our last trip was problem free looking forward to the next trip
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Congratulations to both you and your dealer. It might be worth giving your dealer a plug on the forum since they did come through for you and fix all of your problems.

(Is the dealer Country RV by any chance?)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Brantlaker

Bumper

I had the same problem with my bumper and the Dealer welded support brackets on it. Have traveled about 5,000 miles and not had a problem.It is now in the shop for a bolt cumming threw the floor and pushing up the linoleum. The good thing is that I have a good Dealer and fixes it the way I would regardless what Keystone pays them. I have a Cougar now but the DW an I are looking at a Montana to up grade.They want our repeat business as there is another dealer nearby (50 miles) with the same prices and service reputation.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote