Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
C130

Mastercraft Tires

Anyone here have any experience with Mastercraft tires? They are a division of Cooper Tires and a local tire dealership that does mostly trailer, RV, motor homes, and big trucks highly recommends them. I was quoted about $165 out the door. I am looking at replacing my Carlisle tires on my 2011 Fuzion 322 in the near future and have no idea what I'm going to buy. I can't seem to read anywhere where there is a general consensus about any particular tire being good.

My Carlisle tires have very little mileage, I'm guessing less than 2000. They have a little sidewall cracking but I was told it was not that bad and shouldn't be an issue. I'm more worried about the age and the fact that I keep hearing horror stories about them but that seems to be pretty much the story with all the trailer tires. While I know there is no sure way to avoid a blowout I'd like to greatly reduce my chances. I always check the tire pressure so that's not an issue.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
byrdr1

I cant comment about these tires for the 5ers or TT.
BUT on my 6 fleet vans at work we use this brand. I have them on 5 of the 6 vans and have gotten great service out of them. One set got gone last year as the driver was t-boned and flipped my van. I couldnt get the tires & rims off before the insurance company junked the van. but over all we have had great service out of them.
JMHO
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
smiller

The ST tire world is so full of issues that personally I'd only go with a brand and model that had a long and positive track record in the real world, and the only one of I know of like that right now are the Maxxis M8008. That's not to say there's any problem with the Mastercraft, but I'd think I'd pay just a bit more and get the known quantity. JMHO.

In any event I'd definitely replace the Carlisles if they show any signs of problems. I lost two of them (only 2 years old) a couple of months apart, resulting in a lot of trim damage. Should have replaced them all right away after the event, live and learn.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The ST tire world is so full of issues that personally I'd only go with a brand and model that had a long and positive track record in the real world, and the only one of I know of like that right now are the Maxxis M8008. That's not to say there's any problem with the Mastercraft, but I'd think I'd pay just a bit more and get the known quantity. JMHO.

In any event I'd definitely replace the Carlisles if they show any signs of problems. I lost two of them (only 2 years old) a couple of months apart, resulting in a lot of trim damage. Should have replaced them all right away after the event, live and learn.
Thanks, how long ago did you have the issue with the Carlisles? Some say they are much better now but others say they are not. The tire dealer that sells the Mastercraft looked at my Carlisles and told me they looked okay which I was kinda surprised. I went there with the intention of replacing them soon and figured they would definitely tell me I needed to replace them. They seemed very honest and he told me the Carlisles were decent and looked at the year they were made. He said a couple years before mine were made they had big issues.

Also, do you recommend an LT tire? I know little to nothing about trailer tires. I have always run Michelin on most of my cars and it's whats on my F250 but don't really want to pay those prices for trailer tires if I can get a good dependable tire for half.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
gepaine

As a data point for your consideration, I just got a quote today from a Seattle area Discount Tire for the Maxxis M8008 (225/75R15E1 117 B) for $182.50 out-the-door. I'm going with them.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Thanks, how long ago did you have the issue with the Carlisles?
That was about 5 years ago and they may well have gotten better in the interim. Regarding using an LT tire, that's a hot potato around here but personally I would only use a (good quality) ST tire or an LT tire that has been specifically approved by the manufacturer for trailer service. There are a few notable good LT tire choices that meet that criteria such as the Michelin Ribs, but they are rather pricey and I'm not sure that they are cost-effective.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

Master craft/Cooper tires. I have used them in my shop on some of my customers cars. have had very good luck with them. when i was plowing snow commercally i used them on my 2k dodge 2500 td. they were very very good!. i think I would go with the maxxis tires as most everyone here has had great service from them. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
That was about 5 years ago and they may well have gotten better in the interim. Regarding using an LT tire, that's a hot potato around here but personally I would only use a (good quality) ST tire or an LT tire that has been specifically approved by the manufacturer for trailer service. There are a few notable good LT tire choices that meet that criteria such as the Michelin Ribs, but they are rather pricey and I'm not sure that they are cost-effective.

I put Michelin Ribs on last year after I had a tire failure out west in Aug of 2011. The tire failure took out the kitchen drain valve, the entire LH side skirting, the plastic shroud around the tires and some of the plastic sheeting that is covering the floor on the driver side. Total cost to fix this at the dealer was $3,543.00 this includes the new spare tire ($150) and my deductible ($500) for the insurance claim.

The Michelins Ribs cost me $1448.00 which included mounting and balancing for the four new tires at Discount Tires. Everything that I have read and seen on the Michelin Ribs has indicated to me that they should be a far superior tire then the ST tires that where on my trailer as OEM tires.

Every time I pull my camper I check the inflation pressure daily (80PSI) and lug nut torque along with tire checks at every rest stop with an IR heat gun. I have caught some potential tire failures this way in the past.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I put Michelin Ribs on last year after I had a tire failure out west in Aug of 2011. The tire failure took out the kitchen drain valve, the entire LH side skirting, the plastic shroud around the tires and some of the plastic sheeting that is covering the floor on the driver side. Total cost to fix this at the dealer was $3,543.00 this includes the new spare tire ($150) and my deductible ($500) for the insurance claim.

The Michelins Ribs cost me $1448.00 which included mounting and balancing for the four new tires at Discount Tires. Everything that I have read and seen on the Michelin Ribs has indicated to me that they should be a far superior tire then the ST tires that where on my trailer as OEM tires.

Every time I pull my camper I check the inflation pressure daily (80PSI) and lug nut torque along with tire checks at every rest stop with an IR heat gun. I have caught some potential tire failures this way in the past.
Jim W.
I wasn't saying that avoiding a tire blowout and the subsequent damage isn't cost effective, obviously it is or we wouldn't be so many tire threads. And no doubt that the Michelin Ribs were far better than your OEM tires, or a cheap ST (or LT) tire. But neither of these comments are related to what I said, which was only that I'm not certain of the value of the Ribs over the Maxxis M8008. The reported failure rate of either is near zero as far as I can tell.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
therink

On my last fiver, I replaced my LRD 15" China bombs with LRE 15" Maxxis (fortunately before I had a blowout). I will say that the Maxxis tire is a very good product. I only had them about one year before I traded in the fiver, but did not have any problems with them.
On my new fiver, I had the dealer remove the OEM China bombs and install a set of Firestone Transforce HT LT's (235/85R16) before I took delivery. Too soon to report long term, but I have complete confidence in these tires.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
C130

Going to buy new tires before Friday and the selection around Houston isn't good. I can't find much in stock besides the China made stuff. I called Discount Tire on Monday about the Maxxis and couldn't get an answer on whether or not they could be here by Thursday or Friday as we are leaving Friday afternoon. They do have the Michelin XPS Ribs in stock but they are expensive. I want piece of mind and willing o pay for it but don't want to waste money either if I can get a great tire much cheaper. No one has the Maxxis in stock it seems. Going to call a Firestone dealership in the morning.

Any negatives with going with the Michelins? I will be putting them on a 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition. OEM is 235/80/16, the Michelins are 235/85/16, so any negatives here? Discount Tire also said they had a 14 ply if I really wanted to be safe, forgot the brand but going to check them out also.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Going to buy new tires before Friday and the selection around Houston isn't good. I can't find much in stock besides the China made stuff. I called Discount Tire on Monday about the Maxxis and couldn't get an answer on whether or not they could be here by Thursday or Friday as we are leaving Friday afternoon. They do have the Michelin XPS Ribs in stock but they are expensive. I want piece of mind and willing o pay for it but don't want to waste money either if I can get a great tire much cheaper. No one has the Maxxis in stock it seems. Going to call a Firestone dealership in the morning.

Any negatives with going with the Michelins? I will be putting them on a 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition. OEM is 235/80/16, the Michelins are 235/85/16, so any negatives here? Discount Tire also said they had a 14 ply if I really wanted to be safe, forgot the brand but going to check them out also.
I have Michelins XPS Ribs on my camper but I know the tire loading rating that I needed for my 318SAB Cougar. What you want to make sure is that the Michelins will be able to support the camper load if not they will over heat and fail do to over loading of the tire.

Now the entire GVW of the trailer will not be supported by the tires when you are driving because 15 to 20% of this load will be supported by the truck (pin load). What is the axle rating for your trailer? Will the Michelins tires support this load rating (combined) for one axle?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
C130

Guess I'm trying to narrow it down between these 3 tires now, Michelin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250, and the BFGoodrich Commercial TA's. Local Discount Tire has a lot of the BFGoodrich and offered $165 per tire, Michelin's are $286, Bridgestone Duravis $213. Both the Bridgestone and Michelin tires have the steel casing.

The BFGoodrich tires seem to be a great price but I want the best tire for the money and if it means spending more to lessens the chance of a blowout I'd rather pay more.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated by Jim, you need to look at the axle rating on your RV and buy tires that will at least support a load of half the axle rating. For example, if your axles are rated at 5000 lbs, you need tires that will at least support 2500 lbs each.

In recent months many tire manufacturers have stopped honoring warranty service on LT tires used in ST service. In other words, they won't guarantee LT tires used on a trailer. Their reasons for this are stated in the policy, but it boils down to the facts that many LT tires don't have the sidewall strength to take the twisting and flexing caused by turning a tandem trailer. Additionally some LT tires don't have a high enough load rating when used at the pressures common to RV wheels.

Whatever tire you choose, make sure your wheels are rated for the pressure you'll need with the new tires and if possible, get metal valve stems, or at least high pressure rubber ones. If you have a TPM, most recommend metal valve stems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
C130

Here's what the Michelin web site states single 3042@80psi and dual is 2778@80psi. I think the axles are 7000 pounds each so would this not work? The Michelins seems to be the best tire according to every forum I've been on and every tire shop I talk to. 7000 pound axles don't equate to anywhere near 7000 pounds of actual weight does it? I've read information until I'm beyond confused as it seems no two people agree on anything regarding trailer tires. I appreciate your help as I definitely need it I think but I've never encountered any issue as confusing as trailer tires.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
campingcpl

I personally have used Mastercraft and Cooper tires for years and have always had very good service out of them. For the price they can't be beat in my opinion. I have always been able to get the rated mileage out of them and then some and have never had one blow out as of yet. One thing I have found is that just because you pay more for something doesn't always make them the best buy (a personal example: Paid almost $1000.00 for a set of 50,000 mile rated Goodyear touring tires, was only able to get about 25,000 miles out of them. I replaced them with a comparable 50,000 mile Cooper Touring tire and paid $300.00 less and had a better ride, better fuel mileage, better traction and got almost 60,000 miles out of them before I had to replace them.)

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
C130

I had the Michelin XPS Ribs (4 of them) installed and bought them from Discount Tire, $1300 out the door. Hopefully they'll provide many miles of safe travel and no blowouts. I was also interested in the BFGoodrich and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 tires. The manager said they are both great tires but the BFGoodrich Commercial TA's don't have the steel casing like the Michelin and Bridgestone tires. The Michelins have a ton of tread on them, hopefully they'll hold up well.