Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
dfrauhiger

Blueprints or drawings?

We just picked up our 2013 Keystone Laredo 266RL 5er this week. As you know over time we all "pimp out" our campers. I was told prior to buying the unit that Keystone could provide blueprints or drawings of framing, wiring, storage tank placement etc, so as I make modifications, I would not hit anything crucial. None of this information is in the owners manual. I just sent off the 3rd request to one of the Keystone reps and have not seen or heard anything.

Does anyone have a contact at Keystone or any info that they could share?

Thank you

2013 Keystone Laredo 266RL
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost
dfrauhiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrauhiger View Post
We just picked up our 2013 Keystone Laredo 266RL 5er this week. As you know over time we all "pimp out" our campers. I was told prior to buying the unit that Keystone could provide blueprints or drawings of framing, wiring, storage tank placement etc, so as I make modifications, I would not hit anything crucial. None of this information is in the owners manual. I just sent off the 3rd request to one of the Keystone reps and have not seen or heard anything.

Does anyone have a contact at Keystone or any info that they could share?

Thank you
Dave -
Let me save you the time and effort of trying to obtain any kind of blueprint, drawing or other schematics from Keystone because there aren't any available. To the best of my knowledge, Kestone has never made them available to its consumers. Whoever told you that you could obtain them, was incorrect.

After 3 emails to Keystone for a request for schematics, one would expect some kind of reply.......but not surprising that you haven't heard from them.

As you have also probably found out, the Owner's Manual is quite generic and doesn't provide you with any specific information about a particular model. You need to look at the manuals that came with the unit or, if not included, go to the web and download it from there.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
dfrauhiger

Thanks Festus2, I Was hoping for more. If others have info about thier experiences of where they can make modification and where to stay away from might be helpful.
Thanks Again and Happy Camping!

2013 Keystone Laredo 266RL
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost
dfrauhiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Dave -
You can get some idea where the exterior wall studs are located by doing the following:
1) Wait for a crisp, cool morning and go outside and look at the fiberglass sides of your RV. You'll have to position yourself so that you are looking at the sides from an angle - not straight on.
2) If you get into the right position, you should be able to see the outline of the aluminum studs appearing on the fiberglass sides.

Because of the differences in temperatures between the metal studs and the fiberglass, the condensation pattern on the fiberglass is slightly different than the space between the studs.

This procedure is best done in the early morning when the outside temperature is cool and there is a heavy dew on the ground.

Not sure if this provides any useful info for you but it does give you a fairly accurate idea of where the exterior wall studs are located.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

If you do as festus describes and have a friend to help, you can put painters masking tape (blue) and make the entire outline. Or at least the parts that are important to you. Take pics and write measurements. Save for future projects.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
geo

Dave-

From my own experience (you can search my id for mods I made on an Alpine), even within the same model, for example, the wiring seems to vary - such as the placement of the Automatic Transfer Switch. There seems to be enough variance that even a factory visit to watch Keystone's RVs be built will only give you clues as to where certain items are. Festus2 has described the best way to find wall frame members, and SAD has added great information on how to document those members. As far as the underbelly is concerned, most likely the tank placement will be the same in all the same make/model, but the wiring, plumbing, and vents may differ. The easiest way to learn "what's underneath" is to remove 3 or 4 of the bolts which hold the underbelly coroplast, pull it down a little, and with a good flashlight (LED flashlights work well here) take a very good look at what's inside!

But I will warn you, doing this "peek" might lead to bigger mods than originally planned. Like I said, do a search on some of my mods and repairs postings.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Geo's right peeking will astound you. Search my ID for an accurate plumbing diagram. LOL
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
f6bits

I'm sure they'd even tell you that your truck can pull a Montana with no problem just to make a sale.

But back to your problem…break out the funny square bit driver and start opening stuff up. I learned a ton by exploring all the hidden nooks and crannies. As others said, a dewey morning will help you find the studs. I was just in mine and knocking around the walls made it pretty clear where the studs were. The tricky part is where they might have run the wires.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
robo

Or see if any youtube vids
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
donwatkins

Blueprints

Dave:

No go on getting blueprints from Keystone. They are afraid someone will make a mod that will cause legal issues. I would love to get my hands on some but I was told NO! All I wanted to do was mount a larger drain hose container. Go figure I was not happy with the one that held a three foot hose. Now I would love to get a blueprint on the water system for my black water flush does not work. Dealer is an hour away and too hard to get into for a working guy like me. I would just like to trace the line. I think we all need to write CEO of
Keystone Mr. Ron Fenech!
donwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote