Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Nelson480

Thumbs down 2002 Sprinter PROBLEMS!

My dad owns a 2002 Sprinter 274RLS and he bought it in 2006 and has had NOTHING but issues with it!

Biggest of all is leaks! We've taken it to the dealer for pressurizing tests and cannot seem to get rid of them! The rear walls are rotting badly, now theres a soft spot in the ceiling over the slide out. The leak over the slide out i cannot find, just like in the back walls. It has tall skinny windows next to the big bay one, and they do nothing but LEAK. Camp land claims its the 4 corners of the roof, and the tail lights (which are new) but the leak is clearly coming from the skinny window by the door. The wall is totally gone now...
Plus whenever you push on the wood trim of the slide out, the roof rocks and i can watch the back wall MOVE at the bottom. I believe structure is compromised...anyone else have issues like this??
Plus with the stabilizers down the coach has always SWAYED when you walk through it.

My grandfather has a 2006 Hobbi and the front cap SPLIT open, 2 1/2 foot crack that ruined the ceiling on the inside...

This is a REAL SHAME. Our 97 Salem by Forest River NEVER did stuff like this
Nelson480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
heatkits

So, where do you think the problem is? Was it poorly made, or poor maintenance, or perhaps it had some kind of accident that just had cosmetic repairs done, or maybe had ruff life bouncing over every bump in the road?

I can tell you, I wouldn't want to own anything that spent the better part of its life bouncing over cement roads. (cement roads don't work here in NE).

Actually, I think your statement is unfair to Sprinter, since you don't know what it's life was like for the first four years. A lot can happen in that amount of time. To me it sounds like it time to toss it on the burn pile and move on...
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

i have to agree with heatkits. when you buyused it's buyer beware. you realy don't know the history in it's first life
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Sorry to hear about your dad's problems with his Sprinter. I think that your assessment that the structure is now comprimised is probably correct. If it has been leaking since 2006, it may also have been leaking prior to your father buying it. It sounds like there is extensive rot in the ceiling and walls and that problem will not be solved simply by finding and patching the leaks you have now.
In addition to the comprised structure, I would also be concerned about mold. You may not be able to see it, but I would suspect that it is present and could present a health hazard.
I would guess that extensive and expensive repairs would be necessary to your dad's Sprinter to correct the damage caused by the prolonged leaking. Considering that the Sprinter is now 10 years old, it may not be worthwhile spending that amount of money to get it repaired. In its present condition, you won't get much for it if you were to trade it in or sell it but "getting rid of it" may be worth considering.
Have you taken it in to see how extensive the rotting is and how much it would cost you to get it fixed? Might be worthwhile to get someone to take a close look at it to assess the extent of the damage.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Nelson480

well i tore into it yesterday, and its not a pretty sight.
Major damage, wall studs are crumbling and mushing apart. All the windows are coming out and the rear skin is coming off to replace the studs, all new caulk, window seals.. the works
A visual for you...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Nelson480

Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

You are right ---not a pretty sight at all! It certainly looks as though it as been leaking badly for a very long time. Would your plans involve repairing or simply getting rid of it?
Looks like a major and expensive undertaking if you are thinking repair.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

OMG! wow what a mess! A friend of mine had a class C theat had damage like you have there together we did fix it cost for matrial wasn't too bad took several week ends. the contact adhisive we used was something out of this world! after 4 hours around that stuff we were floating in space so it kinda got fun in the end. worked out well still in use no leaks andthat was 7 years ago. so if you go the fix myself route i will say some prayers and good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
rhagfo

Yes OMG that is ugly!

I had an 86 King of the Road we bought very used with a soft floor. Peeled the walls up past the floor line and slid in a new section of floor.
Surprised that you attacked from the inside, I found it easier to peel up the siding from the outside.
Ended up replacing half of the back wall and lower part of the drivers side wall.
As ugly as it looks if you have the skills with woodworking the cost is not that bad. It is the time that is involved.

Looks like you have/had a bad roof leak, that should have been somewhat easy for the dealer to locate.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Nelson480

The wallboard was all damaged where it was taken off at. I will be doing the repairs myself, different wallboard will be installed then the entire interior painted a different color. So far just 1 and 1/2 ceiling panels will be changed.
I have the kitchen cabinets out and everything above the slide out is drying nicely. All damaged areas are covered with tarp so it can dry, be dissasembled, and recaulked.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Was this trailer at a location where it snows?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Nelson480

Yes it does.
Let this be a lesson to anyone. If you EVER see or feel a soft wall, DO NOT EVER EVER EEEEVERR WAIT to repair the leak!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I asked that question because the darkest of the water stains was/is pretty consistent along the line where the slide top meets the wall.

In my mind, this is the perfect spot for a "leak" in a camper that has snow piled up on the roof. As we all know, even the best RV is pretty poorly insulated. Along any opening/seal warm air will escape - melting the snow... Causing water intrusion in a spot that would not normally be a leak in rain alone.

Sad, but mother nature is the pure enemy of any RV regardless of price.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote